Monday 4 December 2006

I don’t know why but I feel compelled to write this

caveat – This is a “What I Did Today” kind of a blog.

I didn’t want to go. I thought it would be mind-numbingly boring with old men in suits far too big for their shrunken shoulders would come up to me and inquire, “Are you in search of a house? Then come right over here. Yee haw!”

Property showcases, to me, are one of the dreariest things one can do on a Saturday afternoon. Besides having to take your Aunt Mildred to the dairy farm of course. The layout was awful. It created sort of a mini congestion of bodies. People would bump into me while looking at pretty pictures that everyone knows for a fact doesn’t translate to real life. They would peer into see-through glass, with their noses dangerously inches away from the display. A person would come up to me and ask, “Hello, are you looking for a house?” The activity itself isn’t much to talk about but considering that I looked like a Chinaman who just got his gold necklace from the nearby jewellery store with his RM5 sandals I thought I would be safe from these wretched salespeople with eager smiles. Wrong I was. One after another, a smiling model with rather nice curves would greet and pass me brochures with far too many words for someone who hasn’t had his coffee.

In another hall of the convention centre, there was an education fair dubiously called FACON (I said this aloud in puzzlement and a lot of frowns stared back at me), which featured a mix of local and international institutes of higher learning all vying for attention of kids who have just finished their exams and wish to further their studies. I thought what the heck, maybe when I’m more stable in life I’ll take up another degree. I’ve been to my fair share of education fairs in my younger days and people would drag me off to a little table with high chairs telling you that their course is the best in the world. Now that I’m older and considerably wiser I don’t give a damn. I managed to stump quite a number of councillors that day with my quick observations and charmed them (them being women, the men—pfft) with witty one-liners.

It turned out to be one of the most pleasant pleasantly surprised days. It all boils down to, naturally, a girl. She was pretty all right: nose small and angular, a hearty laugh that would make any grandmother be proud of, and possessed something that to me, is the defining factor when it comes to women I’m attracted to—that special something. Yes, yes, I can see you guys and lovely gals slightly bemused and irritated even that I’m on one of my illustrious loopy ramblings. I apologise but let’s continue the story. I initially was approached by this tiny human being, a girl who reached my chest and smiled at my navel. I inquired her about the availability of Mass Communication in her college. A smile at my navel again and she led me to the obligatory tiny table with high chairs. I waited for a bit and soaked in the noisy ambience, remembering the days when I was a wee lad fresh from secondary school. Damn I was dorky. Then she arrived.

It’s these little trinkets of niceness that makes me grateful to be alive and the person that I am. It’s moments like these that transcend all the ugly happenings in my life, giving that much needed rush of joyfulness. I won’t go further simply because it’s one of those one-time moments where the more I try to remember it, the faster I forget the experience and I don’t want that. The mind is a terrible thing to play with.

The thing that drives me mad is always the post-meeting analysis whereby I would stare into nothingness for minutes on end, flagellating my poor mind with the whip of remembrance. I would talk to myself, curse myself, soothe myself, and then sigh, sigh the sigh of someone who wished he could have just a little bit more. A smidgen. A tiny speck. The tiniest of morsels. Just so that I can close my mind and remember what it was like.

I’m so there at the next FACON.

Gute Nacht und Gutes Glück.

PS: Good things happen at the most unsuspecting times. I would like to have more of these.

Other Blog updated!

9 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Well, theoretically if the adage that "Bad things sometimes happen to good people", then the opposite must also be true. Good things sometimes happen to bad people."

I'm just kidding with you christo. I'm glad that you turned an event like this into an opportunity to make a love connection! That's making the best out of a situation. Atta boy!

Lia said...

I'm glad something good happened to you, even though I can't quite figure out whay it is.

BTW, I keep seeing couples where the guy is like a foot taller than the girl, and somehow, they look happy and everything. So don't let height stand in the way of true love. :)

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: A connection was made, indeed, but a love connection? Cupid must've taken the day off.

Lia: If there's a girl who's a foot taller than me I'd be surprised if she'd even look down below at mere shorties like me. Tee hee.

noel said...

I'm almost one of Chris's Temple of Ranting Teddy Bears. LoL. What's FACON anyway ? Life's like a box of chocolate, i bet you heard of this loads of times, it's only when will it come. And it came to you during FACON, sounds like some star wars base. May the FACON be with you .. Lmao

Chris said...

Insanegeek: Welcome, welcome! FACON is an education fair organised by rather dim people who thought that while FACON is easy to remember, spell, etc, they forgot to actually say it out loud. They must've thought they were witty or something. Old men, pfft.

And yes you have been initiated into Chris's Temple of Ranting Teddy Bears!

Syar said...

Mass Comm girls rule. How did you NOT know this already? Good for you, Chris!

Lia : have you see happy coupkes where the girl is a foot taller than the guy? Cause that's the only way I'm gonna make any "love connections" in this place.

Chris said...

Syar: I was in IT for almost 4 years and every time I and my friends saw a pretty girl in college we devolved to a species called Bloody Drooling Idiots. It was that bad.

I remember following my friend to LimKokWing (their taglines are so hokey), and seeing so many girls in outfits that didn't make them look like Margaret Thatcher that it almost made me consider enrolling in a course or two. Thankfully, a combination of no money and the thought of travelling all the way there (it's in the middle of nowhere!) stopped me before I could find me a pretty councillor.

Mass Comm. girls be afraid. Be very afraid.

kirana said...

Man, that girl really has a thing for navels, doesn't she? Well, education fairs are a thing of the past for me, I was happy spending my weekend with 2 Billion restless souls at KLCC for the PC Fair, which turned out to be not that fair after all, as far as laptops are concerned.

Btw, drop by KDU sometime and we can talk Mass Comm. Or metal, it's your pick. Rock the World bebeh..yearrgh! Hope to see you there bro

elasticwaistbandlady said...

If you guys do get together christo, you should probably improve her view a little bit. Why don't you try a nice navel piercing or a belly button jewel to spruce things up in an otherwide unsightly area?