Monday 27 November 2006

Punctuality and the people who keep screwing it

I took a quick look at my watch. It’s almost 1 p.m. Traffic today is insanely busy and there’s no apparent reason—I see no cars on the side with smashed bodies and teenagers who just got their licence calling their parents nor do I see a motionless body on the ground covered with newspaper with its feet sticking out. I do however notice that there are many women drivers on the road. This can only mean one thing: The end of my sanity!

I’m late!

An event like this is common for all city folk. Time just flies by when you seem to be stuck in traffic most of the time. No wonder people are stressed out! And are likely to go on a rampage involving machetes and lots of dead rabbits!

Every single morning during my college days was always frustrating. I’d get up early to have my breakfast and leave just before traffic started to crawl slower than an overweight caterpillar. By the time I reached my friend’s place I would park my car, walk to 7-Eleven to get a newspaper and maybe a doughnut. Then I’d wait. And wait. And wait. At the very least—a good 20 minutes later—my friend would finally come down, put on his shoes and off we go. Even though college was theoretically only 20 minutes away from his place, we had to leave at least a good hour to be just in time for class. If I was going to college by myself, I would leave much earlier just to avoid the cursed jam. I’d rather be an hour earlier than to spend the same time inching my way, cursing at all and sundry, and wait for the rest to come. Till this day this friend of mine is still late for most engagements.

If there’s one thing my father thought me well was that it’s better to be early than to be late. It’s something that has shaped my personality. I’m a planner; that is I will set my alarm, pick out the clothes I want to wear and plot the route I’m going to take. All this will be done the night before, so that I don’t need to rush and put my underwear on my head instead. I estimate the time it takes for me to get there and punch it into my internal hard drive and whoosh! I’m there. It is one custom I have no qualms with and is the reason why I am always the earliest. Or one of the earliest, depending on the nature of the meeting of course.

When someone is late we call it a Malaysian thing. I call it being inconsiderate and discourteous. We’re too much of a laidback people I guess. We take things for granted because we have this mentality of since it’s there, it’s there. There’s no need to rush things. Take it easy some may say. And yet these are the same people who are chronically late for everything and the one time you’re slightly behind for a very important engagement, they’ll push the blame unto you in an instant.

Life isn’t always fair but it can make you very pissed indeed.

When my friends are late, especially the usual suspects, we just shrug it off and say, “That’s him all right. The late bastard strikes again.” But when I’m late, even by a mere nanosecond, they say, “That fucker is late!” I am that bad. Where does this blatant apathy stem from? When you’re running late, I’d very much appreciate it if you could tell me. A simple SMS with the words, “Am late,” would more than suffice. It’s the thought that counts after all.

Tardiness is a national disease and while a cure for it exists, none are bothered to take it. Something about not having enough time…

Gute Nacht und Gutes Glück.

PS: I try my best to be not late due to circumstance of any sort. If I am late, that means I did it on purpose. Really.

My other blog is updated! Go! Thanks!

6 comments:

chris said...

i hate to be late too except to apiit lecture last time...hahaha...tat i could just go in the last 10 minutes just to take attendance

Syar said...

I'm a planner too, but this year has seen me being late more than my 18-year average. Morning appointments + no sleep = unusually late syar.

I dislike it when people know they're always late but chalk it up to personality. And then they leave it at that. Annoying, very.

Lia said...

My cell phone actually has a "running late" message pre-loaded into the text message feature for those times when you don't even have time to type it out.

Too early is not always good, though. If you're going to a person's location - home, office - and you get there before they're expecting you, it can be awkward. But late is always bad.

Oh, and Sam Vimes is my favorite Discworld character too. Unless maybe it's Susan Sto Helit.

Chris said...

Other Chris: Oops, I forgot about college days and when we used to take our attendance at the very last minute. That was cool.

I used to purposely go late to class especially to Kalai's. I hate that piece of sheet.

Syar: I hate it when they just smile, and leave it at that. C'mon, be more responsible. What's so difficult in leaving earlier? Argh.

Lia: I've been too early for certain things, most recently was my friend's birthday party. At first it was awkward but thankfully after a beer I got used to it. The wonders of alcohol.

I also like Otto. Pratchett's vampires are cool.

Word verification for me is pqbut. Made me chuckle.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Mexican culture is notorious for their laissez fare attitudes about punctuality. However, my Mexican husband is the anal one, while I procrastinate. The shorter the time I have to get ready the more I dawdle. It's a sickness, and I can still blame it on having six kids to prepare for my tardiness. I shudder to think about the future when I can't use them as my scapegoat anymore.

Traffic makes me anxious, and I prefer to run all my errands in the middle of the night when the streets are blissfully desolate. I'm not a people person.

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: Women and procrastination go hand in hand like a cat takes to milk. Ah huh.

You, not a people person? I shudder in my sandals.