Friday 10 November 2006

“No son, she’s gone to heaven for awhile. What’s that? Yes, you’ll see someday.”

I hate getting lost only to find out after 30 minutes of circling in the same area and in the pouring rain to find out actually, I wasn’t lost at all. If this were the Amazing Race I would have dragged someone to help me locate the elusive house. Turns out my uncle did give the correct directions, it was only the reverse of it. Left became right, straight became back, and I nearly gave up in the end. When I did finally arrive my aunties, uncles and cousins were all there and other relatives I knew I’ve seen them before but I couldn’t remember their names. The atmosphere was decidedly calm, laughter could be heard and one or two relatives still were slightly shell-shocked from the sudden departing. I’ve met the departed auntie a few times and all of the encounters were full of smiles and she saying “Wah, lu dah beser!” (Wow, you’ve grown!). And all this while I wondered who she was. She was my grandmother’s sister who makes her my mother’s auntie therefore she’s my great-aunt or something to that effect. As well as if you twice remove a certain uncle and further removing an auntie you’ll get my cousins.

Only in a Peranakan family will you hear a myriad of languages. Besides the usual English and our mother tongue, Baba Nyonya, there was Hokkien, Cantonese, Mandarin, Bahasa Melayu and even Tamil could be heard in one corner. The amazing thing is that you could speak a different language yet the whole family has this built-in translator of sorts in which you’ll be able to understand each other. I kept telling my grandmother that I have already eaten in English while she answered me in Baba Nyonya.

I asked my other auntie as to how she died. It seems that she was alone one day and fell awkwardly, landing on her back. Her son came to drop his son there, as usual, and the son came running out telling daddy that grandma is on the floor. When the ambulance arrived, she was declared dead. The little boy was oblivious to the crying and sombre faces surrounding him. He knows his grandma has passed on, yet he knows not what death means only that his dear grandma won’t be there anymore to take care of him, to feed him when he is hungry or to soothe him when he feels ill. But what he does know is that she is at a much better place and will look out for him, always.

The quiet murmurs of the Buddhist priests chanting could be heard amidst the hubbub of people catching up with each other. A short prayer performed by the priests and the immediate family members was done to appease her soul, and to wish her a safe journey into the exalted halls of those who have left their mortal shell. A cymbal rings and a light tap on the Chinese drum told us all that it was time to send the dearly departed mother to the heavens. As is customary in Buddhist tradition, the burning of effigies and paper doll deities signifies that her soul has been released from its earthly bounds. The burning paper ascends to the sky, the moon shining even brighter as though she was smiling at us, thanking us for being good sons and daughters.

As I approached the coffin, I said a small prayer, wishing her all the best in the afterlife. It was the least I could do for a woman who meant so much more to others. She looked calm and at peace. I think that was what she wanted, everyone to be happy and not be sad with her passing. I was about to leave and the little boy ran pass me, happy and laughing. I smiled and went home.

Gute Nacht und Gutes Glück.

PS: This post is dedicated to the memory and family members of EePoh. May her soul rest in peace.

7 comments:

kirana said...

I'm always captivated by peranakan culture. I mean I love their food (da only type of cooking I know that uses buah keluak), but above all, the peranakan culture is proof of the diversity in our country.

That was a beautiful post, Chris. My condolences goes out to you and your grieving family. May her soul rest in peace.

Syar said...

"I asked my other auntie as to how she died."

I didn't get this sentence because I was skipping all along your posts and only reading certain sentences and at first I thought "whoa! chris can talk to ghosts". Then I smartened up and realize this is not the case (not that I know of).

my condolences to your family. Shaiful's right, that was a beautiful post.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

The language thing happens around my house too with all forms of English, Spanish, and Spanglish. When we have family get togethers, you can throw in Korean and Spanish with a South American twist also.

You should make a little collection of these posts for your sidebar and call it "The Softer Side Of Chris." It's very touching that you shifted from your usual persona to pen such a sweet mini-tribute to your deceased aunt. My condolences.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I went through the same thing Syar did, but I kept quiet until I saw Syar's comment. Yes, that was the first sentence I saw in your post, and that kind of threw me off.

Now in seriousness..
This was a beautifully written entry. Was this the story that you said that you were inspired to write? You are really good at providing a visual of how it was like. I am glad that your aunt was someone that meant something to you, and I do believe that at the end of everything, we'll all be together again. And it's not creep as some might think it is, it's quite happy. I guess for the little boy, he is oblivious to death because of the innocence and optimism that children have inherently. That is something that we lose -- sadly -- as we grow up.

Mawar said...

chris dear, i think you did her justice with that post. my condolences to you and your family..

Chris said...

To all, thank you.

Chris said...

Kirana: I have no idea what's buah keluak but I'll ask my mom soon.

Syar: Haha. It's all good.

Lady Elastic: Great suggestion as always. And I'd love to meet your South Korean relatives. Tee hee.

Marz: It was your fiction story got me going. At first I didn't want to write this since I wasn't sure I could do it but I just gave it a shot and wrote straight from the heart. As sappy as that sounds I'm glad I did write it.

Mawar: Thank you dear. :)