Wednesday 13 December 2006

I’m fashion road-kill

When I was younger (think much spikier hair, window-pane-like glasses, chubbier cheeks that resemble a hungry Canadian squirrel and much, much bigger trousers), fashion was something as alien as a pink loving man. It was a lot simpler then. Men and fashion were not synonymous. The only thing that remained the same was how bad men were when it came to differentiating cotton and snake leather. But now it seems that men are coming out of the other closet, pun intended, and at this moment are embracing the joys of faux chic couture.

My philosophy for buying clothes when I was a wee lad was very simple: Expensive = Quality. Of course, growing up then for me meant that I was to board a manically driven minibus to good ole Globe Silk Store (which is now known as That Cheap Cheap Place) for the latest RM5 (!) tee which at that time was pretty expensive for a strapping young lad like me. And they weren’t in my favourite colours too.

I would say my fashion sense is that of an octopus trying to wear a one-armed sweater. If the fashion police did exist, I would be on their Most Wanted list for ever. I do all right in the “getting the right coloured tee along with the trousers” department but either than that I’m absolutely horrible in trying something new. Take for instance, East India clothes. I like their line because it’s simple yet classy. But for the life of me, I don’t think I could ever slip on a shirt made from the finest coconut husk from Panama and trousers made from cotton indigenous to the plains of Mongolia.

I want to look Bohemian, not try and be one.

There’s an emerging trend in the male front and that is to wear light colours, which is more popularly known as pastel in the couture world. I call it girly. Flail your arms wildly. Strike me down with a bastard sword, go ahead. I don’t care. I’m very happy wearing a collared tee, three-quarter trousers and slip on my trusty Camel sandals. And if I feel like being inconspicuous, I’ll put on a cap. Simple, no? You can call me old-fashion when it comes to fashion, but I know I’m only conforming to my own personal style god.

Who you may ask? Why, Me of course you silly kitten!

As I was growing up and being constantly fed with images of cool people with cool clothes only made me wish I was rich enough to buy one of them. But then I realised it’s not worth it. Personally, splurging on clothes is a mini sin for me. Take this for example: Would a guy who doesn’t really give a damn about his clothes buy a Timberland t-shirt that costs RM400 just because he can afford it? Or would he pay a visit to good ole Petaling Street and get the same t-shirt but with the label spelt as Timbarbland instead? I don’t get fashion but I do get the people. They’re nutters.

So, what is the true definition of being stylish? Is it as simple as being you? So which is right, do the clothes make a person or does the person make the clothes? Whatever it is I’m still wearing my sandals and faux Hawaiian shirt. I look quite Bohemian.

Gute Nacht und Gutes Glück.

PS: I don’t get Malaysian fashion shows. A good number of people don’t even know how to pronounce some of the labels let alone wanting to buy them. FCUK anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the deal, yo. Frankie Sinatra once sang, "I Did It My Way." Morcheeba sings, "Just Be Yourself." Someone else covered, "I Just Gotta Be Me." Listen to the melodic sounds to guide you in your fashion quest young christo. As long as people aren't overly exposing themselves or wearing offensive messages on their clothes, then I'm happy.

Says the woman who has worn nothing but polo style collared shirts and khaki pants/shorts since high school. Sometimes I DO mix it up and wear denim though because I'm a fashion risk taker.

Love,
Your Friend Elastic (blogger is tearing our supershallow connection all asunder >:(

kirana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kirana said...

Strapping young lad? Dude, as long as you don't look like olde devvy townsend, you should be fashionably okay.

But I do miss going to Globe Silk Store, though? I frequent that area nowadays only for Pertama and Campbell, but I've sadly neglected the most "Kvlt and Tr0o" premise, GSS.

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: I'm too finicky to try something new, fashion wise. I don't mind looking silly but I'll draw the line at upturning my collar. It's very silly and it looks like a dog collar that stops them from biting their ass. People are oh so funny.

Kirana: I second the Townsend. He's freakier than even the most tr00 black metaler.

Campbell used to be my second home. Sadly the availability of imported CDs has gone down no thanks in part to the authorities. Kedai Auntie is still the most "metal" shop in Malaysia, hands down.