Saturday 23 December 2006

2006 – A Year of New

I would to say that 2006 is the best year in recent memory for me. It’s probably due to the fact that I can remember most of what I did. The year started off all right I guess. I moved out, had a makeover (I just threw out my old clothes and bought new ones, nothing drastic) and gained a tonne of confidence. It had its bumps and high points but it is probably the first year in recent memory where it’ll end as well as it started. Previous years always start off difficult, gradually becoming all right in the middle and segues back to its original craptastic start. But I’m happy to report that I will be ending the year with a small bang, nothing fancy, just a feeling of triumph that I managed to get through 2006 without much fuss.

This year is extra special because of these things:

Reading

I finally pried myself from all the Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman stuff and decided that I needed to expand my reading. I am slowly venturing to other genres, in particular religion and world issues, and the occasional mystery/thriller. You will never see me reading a book with Fabio on the cover however. I’d rather put my head in a blender. With peas.

Football (Soccer for you people who think that running with a ball in your arms constitutes football)

I’ve always liked football. I used to follow the local league, back in the day when they actually could kick a ball without it having a soporific effect like it is currently. It was reignited with the World Cup in Germany. I supported Germany for the simple and rather bizarre reason that my favourite Teutonic band at that time was Rammstein. I actually stayed up, got up at obscene hours and jumped for joy when the Germans won. Italy may have won but Germany has left me with a new-found fervour and a generous serving of sleep depravation.

Manchester United friggin’ rule by the way.

Music

I saw Slayer in October. My journey as a metalhead is complete as far as I’m concerned. I managed to headbang with a bunch of like-minded bespectacled metalheads, suffering the pain of stomping my feet on the cold, hard floor and swinging my head as though it was a windmill made the RM300 I paid for the ticket the best RM300 I ever spent. And I finally got myself some guitar lessons after mulling it for almost forever. Marc Antoine better watch out, give me a couple of years and I’ll be playing in sold-out arenas. But in the mean time, can someone tune my guitar? And here's my top 10 metal songs of 2006!

Road-trips

Bin Siew and Irwin, if you’re both reading this, thanks for all the late night (and morning) jaunts to the beautiful lake in Putrajaya and all over Kuala Lumpur. Let’s not forget to do that again before we get too old to drink Red Bull, eat instant noodles on the way, the ever useful mosquito repellents (cigarettes) and having the best chats ever in the history of the world. All of that under the brilliant night sky and a view that was magnificent and awe-inspiring that made our contemplations, dissertations and figuring out life’s conundrums some of the best times of my life. And here's a holler to Fill who proved that it is possible to go fast in a Kancil and headbang to Fear Factory while looking like complete dolts. Precious days those were.

And probably the most important thing that happened to me:

My never-ending quest to better myself as a human being and most importantly, a better Chris. I feel more alive, like I’ve broken down the walls that kept me from being me. I may give in to histrionics once in a while and embark on warped ramblings about the perplexing nature of rabbits and their twitchy noses but the Chris that’s now in this world is definitely way better than the Chris last year. And he’ll keep getting better. I really hope so. (What’s with all the talking in the 3rd person anyway?)

So as the year draws to an end, I can only hope for 2007 to equal 2006, because honestly, it was a blast and if it does top 2006, I’ll be sure to tell you all about it.

Gute Nacht und Gutes Glück.

PS: I dedicate this to all my friends, family and especially to anyone who reads this. Have a blessed new year and I shall see you when I see you. 2007 here I come!

7 comments:

chris said...

merry christmas! mao main futsal ke?

Syar said...

I think just sticking to one genre of books is great (especially if they're written by Gaiman and Pratch) but expanding's good too. Wasn't FRagile Things awesome?

Good to hear your year was good. Looking forward to more goodness in 2007!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great Christmas, Chris!

This entry was great. It's great to read reflections and see how people have grown over time!

Lia said...

I'm pretty stuck in one genre, myself, when it comes to reading. I've branched out a little, and I'm not stuck on authors, but at least in your genre you pretty much know if you're going to enjoy it or not. But it can't hurt to try something new.

Is a tonne more than a ton? :) We Americans are all nuts.

Anonymous said...

We have to headbang to The Crown and Cryptopsy next :) Maybe then progress to frantic air-guitar fingering (good ol John Petrucci). Hows about thwaping the air to Portnoy hmm? :D hahahha. We shall wait till Irwan gets back and do all those again mate. Indeed, precious memories they were...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Just checking in on you. Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh crap. I just saw the Jack Johnson music listed in your sidebar. Now I know what happened to you. You're frolicking in fields of pink glitter with the other wussy men. I'm very disappointed in you, Chris. :( Please, for the love of all that is musically holy, do not, under any circumstances, listen to Banana Pancakes. I have to, because I have young children. It's too late for me, so save yourself Chris, before its too late!