Wednesday 17 January 2007

This ain’t another New Year’s Resolutions folks

Actually this is Things That Chris Will Do to Improve Himself and Banish the Bad Things He Does So That He Can Make Another List Like This to Annoy People Around the World By Not Calling This A New Year Resolutions List When in Fact, Is a New Year Resolutions List Masquerading As Something Else Just to Annoy You.

But in truth, what this really is an attempt to do things that will hopefully improve myself. To better myself. To become an exemplary citizen of this green Earth. It’s…ah, it’s a bloody list!

Before I go further, I would like to say that it’s feels great to be back blogging. When the earthquake hit and caused the big ruckus that it did all I could say was Ugh. I decided to take an even longer break from World Wide Web and I must say it felt pretty weird not checking my mail for more than 7 days (it’s now almost two weeks). Papers reported that some bloggers were so upset that they could barely post a sentence let alone a whole article so much so it made them feel that their life has lost its meaning. What a bunch of nutters I say. Go read a book. Watch TV. Take up gardening. Talk to people face-to-face for a change. There’s more to life than an Internet connection.

So let’s go back to the topic. Why do people create a list just before the clock ticks its last tick of the year on the eve of a new one? Is it because people are doing it so I’m going to do it because it’s ala mode? Is it because you want to tell your friends that hey, I have a list and you don’t, nyeh nyeh nyeh! Or is it a genuine case that you feel in order not to repeat the mistakes that you’ve committed the year before, a checklist of sorts will help to not repeat them?

I do it because I’m bored to death and Oprah is espousing spiritual twaddle. Again.

So here is Chris’s New Year Resolutions That Really, Please, Isn’t a New Year Resolutions List (told you I’d annoy you):

  1. Get a better job.

I’d liked that. Really.

  1. Improve my guitar skills.

I still can’t seem to tune my bloody guitar! And it’s been 5 months already!

  1. Run for more than five minutes and not pass out.

The current time is 4 minutes. Ah, the ignominy!

  1. Stop my mouth from spewing out rubbish.

I remember reading an interview with Deftones once and one of the band members said to the singer, “Your mouth is like a shit making machine. You keep talking shit.” I think that pretty much sums it all up. Think first you dolt!

  1. Write better.

Damnit, I’d do anything to write like some of you guys.

  1. Finally get me some Mandarin lessons.

China girls, beware! And all you Mandarin-speaking, peace-sign lovin’, silly dressing gals out there too!

  1. Get me Neil Gaiman’s Sandman graphic novels.

I’m eyeing the obscenely huge, tome-like, 20-episodes-in-1 bonanza that would cost me a quarter of my pay. Actually, what I mean to say is, get me the rest. Behold!


  1. Listen to more jazz, preferably guitar-based ones.

I have to let my Marc Antoine CDs rest. They’ve been spinning non-stop. Trumpets, saxophones and other instruments that require one to blow into them need not apply. That sounded somewhat disturbing…

  1. Read AND understand better.

I love to read but I tend to do it fast as though the words might run away if I took my time to really understand them. Darn. I feel dumb now.

  1. Attract more girls with my wit and charm.

LOL! (I’m not much a LOL! fan but I felt that that was appropriate.)

There you have it. A simple wish-list. Hope your 2007 will bring more luck and joy than previous years. Cheers y’all!

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: There’s going to be some changes to the design in the coming weeks so don’t be surprised to see a new colour scheme every now and then. Yee haw!

8 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

That's quite an ambitious list filled with lofty goals. I simply resolved to comment more on blogs and blogger people that I love. So here I am, making good on that resolution. Aim small get small rewards is my personal motto, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Anonymous said...

Regarding #10, Val and I were like putty when you hugged us during your trip to Singapore. =) Hehe!

And your sidebar picture of the bunny. Too cute. I think I'm going to pass out due to the immense cuteness. =D

Unknown said...

Lady Elastic: So far I've managed to achieve number 3 (five minutes and 1 second) and to a certain extent number 9. And I'm also glad that you're glad. Let the glad flow free at Whacker Inc!

Marz: You should have seen the reaction of my college mates when I first showed this picture. It was in the auditorium and to put it mildly, it was a hit. Hehe!

Syar said...

As for Sandman this guy has that tome, and the other singular volumes. I have his address. If you're willing to rob his house, I'd give it to ya and we can share. Whaddya say?

(The guy's my friend, but whatever. SANDMAN!)

Lia said...

Instant reactions:

1. Is it really a green Earth? Add that to your lofty list - to make the earth a bit greener.

2. I think people make these resolutions because every so often it's good to reevaluate, and it's just a nice convenient reminder to do so. Nothing special about December, but sometimes these things are easier if you can feel everyone else around you sharing the burden.

3. I'm so impressed that you've stuck with guitar for 5 months. I barely made it to one month. My poor, poor guitar.

Chris said...

Syar: I'm still a newbie when it comes to Sandman. In fact, I bought that tome last year and I still haven't taken out the plastic yet. I find it too precious to do so. The day I open it is the day I'll have an open house. You're all invited.

Lia: What with global warming, the destruction of the forests, etc, I'll do my bit in making it less bad. As for the guitar, I've been wanting to practise but since I stopped taking lessons the urge to do so isn't as strong. Definitely a case of while my guitar gently weeps. Whatever that means anyway.

Syar said...

White isn't a colour. Its the ABSENCE of colour. Deep. I like it.

Wait...you have the $300+ Sandman collection??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaw. Drop.

Chris said...

Syar: I bought it during Kinokuniya's sale thingy-majingy. It would be 25% less if I bought another title so I took Terry Pratchett.

I had been contemplating the Sandman tome for almost a week and the more I told myself that it's way too expensive the more I had to have it. I checked my savings, said "Oh shit" loudly, plonked the money, and left with the biggest grin on my face.