Wednesday 24 January 2007

Them black buttons scare me now…

The best children's book ever.

How’s everyone’s year been so far? I hope it’s been good. As for mine, it started off pretty all right. As usual, I did not celebrate it. Why? Simple, it’s just another day in my life. I do not see the need to surround myself with people who are sweaty and have the look of someone who’s just celebrating the New Year just because it’s an excuse to get drunk and party till the break of dawn.

Truth be told, I wasn’t invited to any New Year party celebration thingy and frankly, I didn’t care. I was sober and guess what, I saved money. Yep, parsimony indeed rules.

A few days later I went to the local bookstore to take advantage of the 20% discount card I had. Even though I have a backlog of about a small library to finish off, I decided that such an opportunity shan’t be wasted. I saw the new Terry Pratchett book and decided to give it a pass and focus on other books (I did buy it a few days later). I remember distinctly to look out for Neil Gaiman’s Coraline, which came highly recommended by Marz, who has proclaimed that she will never, ever, read this to her children. Neil Gaiman + frightening as heck (the Lemony Snicket blurb on the cover is so apt) + Dave McKean (who’s illustrative work is abstract and creepy to say the least) = why the hell it took me so long to get it?

As soon as I got home, I tore off the plastic wrapping of the book and read the first chapter. In typical Gaiman style, he sets the setting early on and it being a children’s book (though which parent would want their child to read this at an early age is beyond my understanding) isn’t as “deep” as his more mature works. This makes it even all the more enthralling. I won’t go into detail but in summary the story revolves around a girl who discovers a secret room, finds creepy versions of her parents, with black buttons for eyes, who seemingly to genuinely love her, something her real parents show a lack thereof. (A review will be up soon, I hope, so keep your eyes open for the update.)

The story got me thinking of a parents’ love. My life isn’t what I had hoped for but it’s my life nonetheless. People who know me on more a personal note, know that I have another face behind the one I show them and others. Initially, this surprised them, because they only ever see the other side of me: highly animated when talking about anything, daft about most things, and relatively capricious that when I tell them my real self, they find it hard to believe.

Just the other day, while I was waiting for my turn at the post office, I saw this little boy sitting quietly, looking at people with a happy face, including me. For a moment I felt weird, normally little children would be frightened at the mere sight of me, but this lad was practically beaming. It’s one of those moments where I forget to be this pseudo, wannabe, macho, subscriber of upturned collar guy.

I have vowed that—while I didn’t get the childhood that all children deserve—I will try my best to give my children (I say children because I’ve always dreamed of four children, two boys and two girls though with inflation and escalating costs I’m thinking very hard about even wanting to get married let alone have children) the childhood they deserve. I’m only 22. I have the world ahead of me. Youth is by my side, as many have pointed that out to me. So why am I thinking about the age in which people start to lose their hair and see their waistlines expand perilously?

Maybe it’s because I’m older and slightly wiser. And perhaps, perhaps, knowing what I want in my life.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I definitely will read Coraline to my children.

5 comments:

Nadia said...

You'd make a wicked dad. In every sense of the word. ;)

Kids aren't for everyone. I know they're not for me. But if I did have them, I'd read this to them too.

Anonymous said...

The main reason why I won't read this to my children is because I will be the one under the covers reading the book to them from in there, and Little Kid #1 and Little Kid #2 will be sitting beside me, confused, and wondering what the hell is wrong with Mommy.

I think you would be an awesome dad, too! For one thing, you'll read this book to your kids (and I assume that'll be without trembling in fear or any of that stuff I am likely to do). I can see you be a good father. You have a good quality about you, and that is listening. It is rare for people to sit back and listen and your future kids would be fortunate to know their father will be a rarity.

But I'll definitely keep it in my future home library when they're older so they can happen upon it on their own. Haha!

Syar said...

a) I would also read this to my children

b) Coraline was how I got introduced to the genius of Gaiman

c) I too want four kids, 2 girls and 2 boys.

I feel connected to you today. :-) Why do you metal guys insist you're so ganas when you're actually rather nice chaps?

Chris said...

Nadia: It's been a long time since I've seen your lovely pic in my blog's comments section. Kids still annoy me, especially the annoying ones (duh!), but I would like to think that if I were to be a father to a couple then hopefully mine would be like me: all nice and spice.

Marz: Now I know the real reason! I've always been a staunch follower of my late grandpa's advice of, "If you've got nothing to say, then listen."

Syar: a) Every parent must read this to their children.

b) I got into Gaiman via Smoke and Mirrors but it was Neverwhere that sealed the deal.

c) Yay!

Shhh! I must still maintain my ganasness!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My kids started reading Lemony Snicket from around age 7-8. Yeah, we be sick like that and all up in the morbid humor genre.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I know what my Sunbum is getting for her birthday this year, and Coraline be thy name.