Friday 15 September 2006

Supernova are Superstupid

Firstly I have to congratulate Magni for delivering outstanding performances every week. He was by far the most old-school of them all and it showed in his overall outlook. Toby, I love his original song and some of the renditions that he did. I just dislike his nasally voice and honestly, he wouldn’t have suited them anyway. Dilana was a disappointment and that’s all I can say.

Lukas is one of the most conceited human beings to ever wield a microphone. There’s no denying that the diminutive Canadian has talent to a certain degree (he has after all, hoodwinked Supernova and the people who voted for him. That’s talent) but his arrogance coupled with the fact that he has the eloquence of a child in need of a massive smack to the face just makes me pissed. I’m also sad because people are equating that attitude and having a certain look is what makes rock stars. Sad people you all are. Just look at all the women who clamour about stage, they have the look that they just want to get laid by Tommy Lee who by the way acted like he had difficulty in coming up with meaningful comments thus resorted to the old and tired phrase of “You’re so awesome”. Thank God it’s all over now. Gilby surprised me. I have never heard his name prior to this. Of course the mere mention of Guns & Roses only conjures two names, Slash and Axl Rose, so it’s not surprising that he isn’t as famous. I would have thought that him being more on the old-school wagon he would have dismissed the fag that is Lukas who is about as rock as Click Five. Clearly I was mistaken. Of all the contestants, Lukas is the only one who did not improve. He obstinately continued with his singing style even though you can hardly call it singing in the first place.

Lukas is in essence, an emo singer rather than a rocker. He has the look, the sound and the lyrics for it. Besides Kiss, makeup in rock is just plain silly. Eye-liner is not rock. Wearing sparkly clothes is not rock. Singing like a constipated person who badly needs a dump is not rock. Lukas IS NOT rock.

I believe it was Tommy Lee’s decision to have Lukas. If you recall back the earlier shows, he was on Lukas’s side right from the start. Only Newsted had proper ears. But I have to say that it was the “fans” that are to be blamed. It was their votes that kept him in the top most of the time when it was evident that he was nothing but a poser. Again, it was looks and the illusion that Lukas brought the rock that won him the gig. Goes to show what the state of rock is right now which is downright pathetic and saddening. To the people who voted for that scum, thank you all for being such witless “rockers”!

Clearly Supernova chose that shit for a simple reason: they think he might be able to push sales of their soon-to-be shitty album. I for one have lost respect for them. I’m even disappointed in Jason. He should have continued to jibe Lukas for singing like a frog with a throat infection. Maybe, just maybe, the outcome would have been different.

So cheers to them, they’re one less band to like now. Supernova’s gain is certainly their lost.

Chris is signing off. For now…

PS: This diatribe was brought to you with liberal doses of reality and old-school rock.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Bro, the show was good entertainment, no doubt about that. But what were you expecting from a band who calls themselves Supernova????? I thought it was a lame ass name from day one. I don't expect their music to blast anyone away or send us blazing across the milky way in a ball of fire sooooo... stick to your marc antoine yo!!!

Anonymous said...

hi chris! this is lawrence, val's friend---do you remember me? we met in singapore. im planning to go to KL this week to bring a friend around the city---i wonder if you can give us "tips" on where to go, what to do, what to see---that kind of stuff! we will just have two days at most and to be straightforward: we want to experience KL's nightlife! Hehe...Possible Dates: 18-19 Sept. will you be there at KL by then? i ofcourse wanna meet you and introduce you to my friend!

I like reading your blog by the way. i missed almost all the last eps of Supernova---but i agree with your commentaries at large!

my singapore no is: +6591348447

my email is: marklawrencesantiago@yahoo.com

YM is: marklawrencesantiago

MSN is: marklawrencesantiago

message me in the most comfortable way you can (Here is also very good!) about my questions.

I think I mentioned to you on our way to lunch with Irwan that Ive never really "experienced" Kuala Lumpur---both of my trips there with my grannies! This is my first time to visit the city with a purely hedonistic intent! haha.

Thanks again, Lawrence

Chris said...

Irwan: I had hopes bro. I was more excited for Jason Newsted since he's one of most underrated bassists around.

And yes, Marc Antoine is a much better investment!

Lawrence: Hey man! Of course I remember ya. We did go together to buy your awesome camera right? That was cool. Anyways, I shouldn't have any problems meeting up with you. I'm hardly online nowadays so I'll email you my phone number. Then we'll see if we can set a time to meet up.

Nice hearing from you mate. Laters!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! We all know each other in the comments! That's sweet! =D *waves to the other two and makes a 'special'(?!) wave to Chris (Well, it's your blog, so.. =P)*

I never really got into the Supernova hype, to be honest. Like Irwan, the reason behind it was because of the name -- Supernova?! You'd think it would be a girl band or something. *dodges tomatoes*
I think the only time I got into it was when I heard Dilana do her rendition of "Time After Time". I thought her voice was goddess-like, but unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be able to take on heavy stress, which I am sure is a reality if you are going to choose music as a career.

The problem with the music industry is that there is a hard balance between making money and making music for the music. Plus -- like you mentioned -- the politics and biases in between that happen 'under the table'. The capitalistic thinking tends to win. =/ However, if your thoughts do manifest and the album IS a flop.. well, they can always change their name to SuperStupid.

To come to think about it, SuperStupid is kind of a cooler name than Supernova. Just my opinion. =)

Nice hearing from you, man! Take care of yourself. =)

chris said...

i like to call them SohaiNova...

Anonymous said...

Sohai..?! Sorry, I'm lost. =P What does that mean?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

YAY! Like minded music assessors UNITE!

My husband liked Magni because he's a clean cut family guy without tattoos. If you're looking for something different in rock, there it is. His cover of "Dolphins Cry", "Hush", and "Fire" blew us away. The man is amazing. He is true musicianship while sucky Dave wanted animals who could smash their guitars all over the stage. That's like so yesterday. Dave will go on to front the Poison/Warrant/Winger Reunion Tour.

Dilana performs at a steak house 5 miles away from me. Yes. A steak house. However, she had a huge career back in Holland. I think U.S. transition is hard. She's smoking on Cranberries type songs. I would have picked her demented self over Lukas anyday.

Toby. HOT HOT HOT! Did I mention he's HOT? He's the showman of the group, but not vocally worthy.

Here's where I break out my conspiracy theory tin foil hat, chris. They played a commercial here for the new season of Survivor in the middle of the show while the judges were pretending to agonize over their final decision. Guess what? The ad featured Lukas dubbed over Survivor clips playing that wretched "Headspin" song. That's my AHA! moment. This was engineered, edited, and played against the public from the beginning. They must think we're "Super Stupid." I think online and text voting didn't add up to a pile of crap. Lukas was hand picked. God only knows why though. i read a comment where someone said nobody can decipher what Lukas is singing. Someone else said it's because he doesn't speak English, only LUKAferian. That cracked me up. His faux wannabe English punk rocker grates tremendously.

I didn't know that Jason was such a nerd. I found him totally amusing on the show.

Meh. At the end of the day, I don't really care. I'll be looking for Magni's solo stuff though.

Chris said...

Marz: That word is um, means, um, I think I'll tell you what it means when I see you in person. Haha!

Lady Elastic: WTF? Damn these people to rock hell! LUKAferian is funny as heck though.