Friday 22 September 2006

Perhaps Love? Perhaps NOT!

What do 15 dismal and senseless men and 3 gorgeous women have in common? A new show on TV that is. The premise is simple enough: out of a thousand or so desperate males, 15 of the best that represent desperation in all its shameful glory “compete” with each other to win the hearts of 3 belles who could operate an airplane faster than the 15 can dish out an omelette.

Are the guys worthy? Are the girls worth it? Is this a game or is it something more? And who the hell wants to eat Cornetto ice-cream for a whole year? People are oh so gullible. They’ll do everything it takes to win. This is exploitation at its finest and the players have not a clue as to what they’ve gotten themselves into.

You may wonder, why am I so angry over a show? After all, I’m not related to any of the contestants. I didn’t audition for the part so I have no reason to be jealous. Two reasons, first is because I find the guys so boring, predictable, and abysmal in their wanting to look and sound so cool that they’re overlooking the fact that these 3 girls are smart, confident, level-headed, sassy and sexy that it pains me deeply to see them and their actions. Secondly, I’m angry because I knew I should’ve entered the show. Damn. All right, seriously, reason number two is because I feel that love isn’t game. I don’t what’s gotten into me lately but I’ve become rather craggy when it comes to the game of love.

It was only last week when I saw my old college friends during convocation. It was great to see them after so long. We chatted, we hugged and asked are you working and how is your pay? Standard talk. When it came to a particular guy friend of mine, Copacabana, when Fill told me his girlfriend was quite pretty I said, “Okay, let’s go see.” After 10 seconds I realized, what the…? Girlfriend? Copacabana? Huh? Fill gave me a wry and pulled me into the hall. True enough, there he was with his pretty girl and after exchanging pleasantries we were off to stalk more girls. It was only last year that Copacabana and I were somehow “competing” for this girl, Lewinsky. We never did say it out loud but it was a tacit agreement, look at me and I’ll whack you if you get her. Sad to say, neither of us got her. Then not long after, Copacabana went after another girl, Yawnster, who was also pursued by none other than Fill.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that 99% of the time I’m very glad that my money is all mine to spend, but when the 1% does happen, I do wish I had a special someone to share it with. Gosh, I sound like an emotional turd. It must be all the girly shows I’ve been watching. Someone please STOP ME!

Which brings me to my final questions, would have I entered? Would I even dare to show my face on TV, battle with 14 other shameless guys, put on a fake smile every time the camera is in front of me and eventually win the hearts of one the girls? Call me old-fashion, but I’ll find love the good ole way.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I feel like eating a Cornetto ice-cream.

Chris is signing off. For now…

PS: To the boy who said “There’s not enough time la,” in regards to speed dating, you are one stupid fella.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too question the motives of romantic reality TV shows. I mean, does it ever come to a time where you don't like any of the ones offered? Like, what happens if a girl doesn't like any of the 15 men offered or do not feel they can "connect in so many levels" (I HATE IT WHEN THEY SAY THIS!) with them? What happens then? Food fight?

You are right. Love isn't a game. It should not be broadcasted for people to see and scrutinize their every move. I am sure the constantants are psychologically motivated by the fact that they know there is a camera looming over them. The underlying motivation tends not to be the naked truth and beauty of love itself.
However, I think I can be open to the fact of some people finding 'true love' in a reality show, but then again, that's for love to decide.

Great post again, Chris. =) Lawrence and I were talking about how great your blog was actually. =) You write well and you articulate yourself nicely. Good on ya!

chris said...

some ppl live all their lives without finding a soulmate, n these tv producers wants us to believe the contestants will find love at the end of the show, please la

Anonymous said...

What damn show is this anyway? Is it local? Or Singaporean like that rubbish Eye for a (poseur)Guy?

Chris said...

Marz - My sincerest thanks to you and Lawrence. Did he come to Malaysia by the way?

Other Chris - Hmm, if that's the case then so be it. Who am I to judge one's path to find his/her love? What I do have is the right to voice my opinion. I did just that.

Irwan - The show's called "Love? Perhaps" which is a carbon copy of that Eye for a Guy show. I reiterate, the girls are hot!

Anonymous said...

Hey there. The last time I spoke with Lawrence, he said that he didn't have the time. However, you should message him about his intentions this week or next week. He's still considering it, if I am not wrong. =) Hope you're well, Chris.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm envisioning the personals ad now: "Emotional turd seeks like minded poop enchantress to share my love of all things TOOL and Cornetto ice cream on a hot Malaysian night."

Anonymous said...

Because it bothers me - the reason you wnt someone special in your life is to have someone to spend your money on/with!?!?!?! Must rethink your priorities, man. Although I can think of some girls for whom that would be okay. But aren't we talking about soulmates and bonding and such?

And no, you don't want to get on TV in one of these shows. It's not old-fashinoned - it's called self-respect.

She's out there, Chris. You'll run into her eventually.

Chris said...

Lady Elastic - LOL! (I'm not much of a LOL! fan but it was appropriate)

Lia - Ugh, when I was writing this post it sounded okay in my head but since you've pointed it out, darn, it does sound kind of weird. I should hire a proof-reader now. And do intend to run into her, whoever she is.

Anonymous said...

the names you give your friends are hilarious. I hate the host chick for that show. She looks like a cyborg.

Allan Phang said...

Thanks for the feedback guys :-)

Cheers,
Allan Phang
http://www.friendster.com/allanphang