Tuesday 12 September 2006

Let’s watch some TV!

So there I was on my plastic yet comfy Ikea chair, wielding the remote control like a light sabre, changing channels like I was about to slash an imbecile into two when I stopped at the Discovery Channel. The topic: HOT ANIMAL SEX. Hoo yeah!

Seriously speaking, the idiot box is currently undergoing its biggest revolution and it’s called “Good Shows That Do Not Suck Like Seinfeld”. C’mon, I don’t get people and their fascination with the bland, whiny, and smarmy Jerry Seinfeld. The guy with the frizzy hair and incontinent-ish body movements is a hell lot funnier than him. The fat guy with the lowest self-esteem in the world is funnier than him while the woman with the frizzy hair is just forgettable. And guess what? Astro* is showing it till the end of the friggin’ year! Argh! Anyhow, this post isn’t a diatribe about some 90’s comedy, it’s about the shows that are currently shown on terrestrial television.

I present to you, Chris’s Favourite Non-Astro Shows.

First up, My Name is Earl. This show is so funny. It’s about this contemptible yet lovable buffoon Earl played to perfection by Jason Lee, who won the lottery but after a few minutes was hit by a car and loses the ticket. It was at this point in time that he saw an episode of Carson Daly’s talk show talking about karma. He then writes a whole list of bad things he’s done in the past and is going to correct all of them. Being a big believer in karma I fell in love with the show instantly. Its satire is so ludicrous that it makes sense. It’s so over the top that it stays grounded in reality. It’s like a morals class, what goes around comes around. And by the way, that Latina lady is so hot she made my nachos sizzle (That was very bad with a capital D).

Next up is Bones. My Friday nights used to be terrible. Shows were terrible and I didn’t really want to watch yet another repeat of World’s Most Amazing Videos. So when this show finally arrived on our shores, I was glad that my Fridays won’t be crappy anymore. I like Emily Deschanel. I like the way she delivers her lines, it is devoid of any emotion and is spoken entirely as matter of fact. Though I have to say that I prefer her sister’s (the girl from Elf, the only Will Ferrell movie I like) rather deliberate and eccentric way of acting (and unconventional looks too). I’m being picky so bah. The repartee between her and former evil turned sappy Barry Manilow lovin’ vampire is quite fun. I for one do not want to see them getting together. Remember when Niles got together with Daphne? Disastrous. Or when Mulder and Scully decided to do it after chasing their 53684184th alien? File that under BAD!

And last but certainly not least, Ghost Whisperer. Inane title aside, there are only 2 reasons why any sane, very straight guy would ever watch this show. Firstly, Jennifer Love Hewitt. Ridiculous and bloody hideous hairstyle aside it’s still Jennifer Love Hewitt. Secondly, Jennifer Love Hewitt’s décolletage and they way in which she helps ghosts while wearing gravity defying, boob jiggling tops. If I was the husband, I’d have to administer CPR to myself whenever those jugs pass me by. The show however is hopeless and repetitious. Thank you to those for creating Medium, while not as sexy as the aforementioned Ghost Whisperer, it’s a lot darker and actually quite creepy. That Arquette lady has the same horrendous hairstyle as Hewitt though. Sigh, bad taste is contagious. (Ghost Whisperer has finished its run here in Malaysia. I can’t wait for the second season! Honest! Pigs do fly!)

So there you have it. Some of my favourite shows that most people won’t watch because they’re stuck watching yet another lame reality programme. Anyhow, I’m off to watch this little show called Arrested Development. Hopefully I’ll be able to do the chicken dance soon. Till then, happy couch potato-ing!

Chris is signing off. For now…

* = Astro is the country’s leading cable operator. They suck massive donkey balls.

PS: I prefer to watch a good TV show than go to a noisy club and party with people I don’t know.

10 comments:

chris said...

Medium totally pawn Ghost Whisperer in terms of story and acting but certainly not in the boob jiggling aspect. Btw, Gilmore Girls is the best show on tv

mademoiselle said...

hi.. CONGRATZ!!! at last convo day coming. See u there. wear smart and act macho man ^^

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've caught a few episodes of "Ghost Whisperer." I loved it! I hate regular commercial television though, so when this is released on DVD, I'll finish watching what I missed. Yeah, I've often wondered about women placed in either action flick roles or everyday chick roles where booby shirts and booty shorts are most impractical. If I wore shirts like Jen Hewitt, my husband would never leave the house.

Tomorrow marks the end of Rockstar:Supernova. Magni has the best voice, Dilana looks the part, Toby has the best showmanship, and Lukas is just a faggy poseur with the most annoyingingly cloy faux European accent singing voice I've ever heard. Even his original stuff sucks, and sucks hard! However, Supernova also sucks, and sucks hard too!

My suggestion to you? Find WONDERFALLS on DVD, and either buy it or rent it. I bought it on ebay for 15 bucks. One of the best TV shows of all time. It has quirkiness, snarkiness, supernatural, mean but hot chicks, all the stuff you like christo.

Chris said...

Other Chris: Alexis Bledel is soooo pretty. Gah!

ecz_py: Strangely, I don't really feel like going to convo now. But I've already paid so I'll be going. Sigh. Anyhow, I've no idea who you are but I guess I'll see you there. Make yourself known!

Lady Elastic: I love Wonderfalls! I love the chick too. My kind of girl if anyone is planning to hook me up. Too bad it didn't last and the last episode was quite a bummer. Oh well.

And yes, that faggy piss of shit is now fronting Supernova. I for one have lost respect for them and am thoroughly disappointed with Newsted who I thought would have talked more sense into the other 2 morons. Lukas is NOT rock. His makeup is NOT rock. His "singing" is NOT rock. Supernova are SuperSTUPID.

Congrats to Magni, Dilana and Toby though. I hope to hear their stuff especially Magni, who I thought was easily the most rockin' of them all. Bah, stupid "rock stars".

mademoiselle said...

confirmation, r u christopher chiam?
if yes, i'm lee huii. i forget to post after i write there my name.

me too, i really don't feel like going. I haven't prepare anything as well.

chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chris said...

our class got lee huii?

Anonymous said...

I think the only one that I recognized out of the list was Bones. Yes, pity me.

But in regards to your PS.. it's funny that you mentioned that, because I went clubbing with Irwan for the first and the last time, and based on the smoke and fog and the writhing of sweaty bodies of people who you don't know.. a good TV show can beat it. I believe in clubbing as long as you have the right people, but not really "for the kicks".

Good on ya!

Chris said...

Lee Huii: It's me la. ;)

Other Chris: She was in Multimedia, same as me.

Marz: I concur. I'll only go clubbing when my friends are involved. I'd rather just chill out, preferably at a bar which plays guitar driven jazz. Looks like you've just given me another topic to write about. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ghost whisperer????

my respect for you has dropped a few points. thank god you had Earl and Arrested Development on your list.

that Discovery Channel documentary must've sucked to have needed such a slutty title