Sunday 6 June 2010

You can't always get what you want...

...but if you try sometime, you'll find you get what you need.

I consider myself a headstrong person when it comes to keeping a tight rein in on my expenses. Many of you can attest to my now legendary parsimony; so much so that people associate penny pinching with my face. And they're right.

98% of the time.

1% goes to food. People keep forgetting that I love food. Yes, I can be an absolute Nazi at times; no fast food, no fried food, no sweet drinks, etc, but I really do enjoy food. The only time I indulge, and I mean, really indulge, is when I decide to let loose or to use a workout term: off day. I love pastries (red bean buns, anyone?). I love pasta (serve me spaghetti bolognese and I'll be your friend for life). I love the food that makes your heart scream, shout and eventually surrender in calories and cholesterol. I'd rather pay more for quality than settle for mediocre. And the other 1%?

I love to shop.

I've developed a rather reluctant affinity of spending my money in shops that cater to my ever growing list of things I like. The one time that I let go of myself (and the half-hearted loosening of my wallet) is only known to me. Which I never know. That's the beauty and curse of it. It's more of a curse but a damn lovely curse. You know the feeling you get what you've brought home a new toy? I love that feeling. Sometimes on the way home you think, damn, have I bought the right thing? Holy crap, I spent a bomb on that?! Then when you get home, unwrap it, smell it, feel it and look it you go hot damn! I made the right decision.

But there will come a time when all of that won't mean a thing. Especially when you're going to share your life with someone. If the two of you are wealthy and stable, good for you, but for the majority of people who are just above the comfortable line, myself included, dropping a couple of grand on a luxury item isn't exactly smart. Setting your priorities is paramount; bills need to be taken care of, accidents need to be covered, giving money to family. Those sort of things have to take precedence. However, never forget to indulge. You work so hard and to deny yourself pleasures, be it simple to the exorbitant, will only breed regret. Do what you think will give you satisfaction even if it were minuscule. What you want, what you really want, is something in your mind and you can shake it off. We live in a materialistic world where plastic and fakery is the new world order. 

It's up to you to make a choice.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: If you're wondering if I'm referring to The Rolling Stones seminal classic, you are right. But if you're thinking of the original, you are wrong. I'm a Gleek!

4 comments:

Maria Celina said...

I still cannot get myself to get into "Glee". Probably because knowing every OCD fiber in my body would need to watch it from the beginning, and that's just too taxing.

When I saw the title of your post, I immediately thought of "House". Particularly that scene where Cuddy one-ups him when he refers the song to be from "the philosopher Jagger". =P
(And since you're not watching "House" anymore, I guess I can safely spoil you with one word: HUDDY. =P)

Chris said...

Maria: Huddy? Gross!!!

Chris said...

Maria: But I must say that I do miss watching the douchebag in action. Excellent series that I no longer watch. Hmm.

Maria Celina said...

Well, I agree with you on the Huddy part. For me, nothing beats HILSON! =D But still, many were rooting for the two. If anything, I want to see a development between 13 and Chase, but that's just my sick, sick mind at work.

The immaturity between House and Wilson will always be something I'll love. Bromances for the win! (Okay, Brenemies = Bromance/enemies!)