Friday 29 January 2010

1 down, 11 more.

The end of this month is nigh and it sure as heck couldn't come any quicker. 2010 sure has been a lacklustre year thus far, aye? Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just you. Oh, well.

Quick recap this year: new job, new surroundings (well, I've been to the place many a time but never as an employed personnel), new faces and, of course, new expenses (!). So far, the new place has been pretty good; have learnt new things in my first 4 weeks than I did at the old place. Even made a booboo, too (try saying that fast, I dare you).

The office: it's so quiet here it's as though work makes everyone silent like a little lamb. People are generally friendly and will give you a small smile that says "yes, you're cute". Work-load is still hit-and-miss, sometimes busy, sometimes freer than a free bird. It'll take me six months or so to learn the ropes of this place fully but I hope to do it in less than time so that I can get promoted and then move on to another place, woohoo! All right, that last sentence is crazy talk but I'm sitting here in the office* wishing it was Christmas and naked Santarinas are bobbing up and down. It's also colourless; very drabby and grim hues surround me. In a nutshell, I've come here to work. Mingling is a way distant second.

The work place: not to be confused with my office place, the place where I work is terribly dull, yet another shopping centre catered to the masses. Whilst KLCC had some "soul", here in Gardens it's all plastic and sterile. But if there's one good thing is that it's a lot more convenient as I can get groceries and such at decent prices, which, as you all know gets a big smile from me.

The people: as I've said, they're friendly and generally will talk to you if you talk to them first. Team-mates are good and very helpful. But I reckon it is only for now because I'm still quite new to the environment. Also, I'm helping to mentor two new girls. They're fresh from the oven and have not worked before. Me, teacher? Why, yes!

Significant things that happened in January:
  • Learnt to drive at a much slower pace than I never imagined to save on petrol cost.
  • Watched a movie in a Gold class cinema. (Huhu, my wallet is thin now.)
  • I've become more organised and structured in my work. (I hope.)
  • I've become a mentor! (If you know me well, you would know that I am the king of analogies. I believe analogies make memorising things, especially dreary subjects, a lot easier. I just hope the two girls remember what I've said, though!)
  • I'm actually looking forward to working. GASP!
What February would bring:
  • More work.
  • More work
  • More work
  • Great time with the family during Chinese New Year
  • Valentine's Day special...GASP!!! More on this when it happens.
How has your January been? Good, I hope. As always, stay beautiful and see you next week!

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I want a mace that can twirl twirl one!

* - Well, I started writing in the office.

4 comments:

Angie Tan said...

Dear Chris,

You have around 14 days to plan for Valentine's day. No, 14th Feb is ground zero and hence, it shall not be counted as 1 day. Hahaha!!!

Sounds good that you have moved on to impart wisdom to others... I can see you sitting on some high mountain spewing out interesting one-liners.. Hopefully, your analogies will not be "word diarrhea"..

Maria Celina said...

I'm still adjusting to a new working environment months along. It's great that you mentioned new expenses, but I am still getting used to tightening my belt a bit when it comes to the daily commute, food, gasoline, and the like. But I'll get used to it with time.

A twirl twirl can of mace? Please tell me where to get that. =P I have some "seducing" to do in twelve days. Or something.

(Btw, the captcha says "heerevil". Coincidence? I think not! =P)

Chris said...

Angie: Valentine's Day is certainly around the corner. Scary! Hehe. I've been spewing a lot of nonsense but I try to make it sound Zen-like. :P

Maria: I complain a lot, I know, when it comes to expenses, but like you said, in due time we all will get used to it. Painful as it is, we have to.

As for the mace, well, you'd have to ask Gabriel (Legion version) for one. I've got mine in pink!

Waffle-Girl said...

this is me leaving a comment because you asked for one....

chris = mentor = scary

*be nice to the girls* (not too nice though, or you know who will get jealous)