Sunday 29 March 2009

Earth Hour was fun!

Those are my mom's feet.

Actually, I lie.

The skeptic in me is strong with this one. I mean, this has got to be the PR stunt of the year. You have celebrities preaching to us the gospel of Save the World! yet these are the same people with a dozen air-conditioning units, all switched on at the same time.

Here's a great idea: why not have Earth Day? You know, switch off everything. Or at the very least, all your PCs, TVs, brain, whatevers. Let's see if all the celebs would want to do this. (Maybe Leo DiCaprio and Al Gore would love the idea. Never say never.) I exaggerate but c'mon, 1 hour, once a year to tackle a problem that's going to take years to turn around? The symbolism is nice but it will hardly make a difference.

My family was one of the very few in the neighbourhood that actually turned all the lights off, lit candles, tried our luck and not trip over anything. Besides, only two other households were the same as us. That makes it a grand total of three out of nearly two dozen. The rest went about like just any other day. Who can blame them for their ignorance? Humanity has been on the cloud of lethargy that when something so significant, something that literally change their lives utterly, it whooshes by them like a morning zephyr. Kids are still throwing garbage on the roads, old men are still spitting on sidewalks, people are still smoking in non-smoking areas, the piles and piles of rubbish is rising higher than mountains, the list of how we are damaging, nay, destroying the world is terrifyingly big.

How can an hour hope to bring an awakening to people who don't even know their little actions are the ones that is slowly but surely snuffing the life of Earth? The ignoramuses can be pardoned to a certain extent, but it is those who don't give a damn, the ones that really don't care and won't do jack shit, now, they are the ones who are causing the most harm.

My hat (if I had, it would be a fedora in black with red trimmings) goes out to the people who give it their all to trying to make this world a better place. These are the real heroes, not celebrities or politicians who more often than not pretend to care.

I can only hope upon hope that people will one day wake up and realise how fucked this planet is and that they'll try to make a difference. I really do.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: What did you do during that one hour?

5 comments:

Angie Tan said...

LOL!!! At first I was quite interested and so, spread the "gospel" amongst friends and family.

After a while, local celebs, some companies and etc jumped on the media bandwagon and all hell broke loose. The breaking point for me was watching some local uni student do some "protest" thingy at 1Utama. Lying on their backs and asking people to sign. Duhhh... For a moment there, I thought it was a hunger strike for pandas or something.

Anyway, you read my post. The funny part was watching the "countdown" on 8tv... They "ceased" their transmission by airing a picture for Earth Hour... (-_-)

Anonymous said...

Christina, that would have scored you a D+ for pendidikan moral...

Chris said...

Angie: Sis was adamant that ALL the lights were to be switched off. I think we saved RM3.59 in electricity. :P

Idiot: Shattap you!

Anonymous said...

haha..what did i do?..i shut the lights and my dad and adik beradik went for a walk..that's when i realized that my stamina dah nak mampus..damn..anyways..so yeah..my house all lights off..and a bunch of our neighbors did as well..i was kinda proud..more than three houses had their lights shut..i love my neighborhood cept for the mofos who walk/ ride/ drive around trying to rob ppl..oh wait! that's everywhere! lol

J

Chris said...

Second Anonymous: Man, you had me scratching my head for a long time trying to figure out who you are. Nearly busted my brain cells it did. Haha.

Anyway, I know who you are and your stamina needs to be upped. :P