Sunday 8 March 2009

I nearly killed two boys.

*this post was written last year and is only being published now after I forgot to publish it.

I had just gotten my car back from the nearby workshop after it had spent the day there for a check-up. I thanked the boy who delivered the car to my house, sent him back to the workshop and promptly went home. I can go for my evening jog! The day all of a sudden took on a new colour, from the blazing orange-yellow hue of the sun to the gloom, grey of rain clouds signalling that rain is eminent (it never happened). About 15 metres away from the junction to my house, I slapped on the indicator, to indicate the other road users that hey, I’m going to turn in here. Seeing that the opposite car was a good distance away from me, and knowing that behind there wasn’t any car or an old grandma with a pram, I pulled my steering wheel to the right.

Out of nowhere, I look up to see not one but two boys, both without helmets, centimetres away from me. The rider swerved his motorcycle just in the nick of time. If he had ridden a little faster, even a mere kilometre faster or so, both he and his friend would have ended up on the tarmac, their blood staining the ground red (though, the worst part would be that I would have to wash it off my car). Shocked I was at first, but the feeling was soon replaced with a sigh of relief and a rising anger. I managed to compose myself in time, gave them a look that said, “You two are very lucky,” otherwise my door would have rather fetching indentations bearing a striking resemblance to their faces and darn it I’ve got to go to the workshop again. They looked at me with a look that said,”What the hell,” flashed me a derisive smile and rode off.

Honestly, even though I was still shivering when I got down from the car and recounted the tale to my mom, my anger far surpassed all other initial feelings.

The newest trend for motorcyclists is the weave-in-between, whereby they would go right in the middle of the road and speed off. Not only is this extremely dangerous, the rider could fall down inexplicably, but for motorists on either of the side of the road, it could prove fatal. I’ve seen children as young as 10 riding motorcycles far bigger than their tiny bodies, their hands barely reaching the handles. And they always seem to travel in a group, sometimes as many as four children on a single motorcycle.

Where are the parents? Why are the parents not keeping an eye on their children? Of course, I’m being unfair by putting the blame squarely on the parents. It’s not their fault that their children are such fine examples of humanity.

Is it fair for us car drivers to be in constant vigilant mode whenever we drive? Like, duh. But is it fair for us to be mortally afraid whenever we’re behind the wheel, praying before embarking on a journey, hoping that the road won’t chuck us with a potentially heart-stopping situation involving, what else, motorcyclists?

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Watchmen, while brilliantly brought to the big screen with some of the best-looking visuals I've seen in a long time, didn't really present its theme of peace at all costs as strongly as I hoped it would. I gave up on the book when I first read it, but I'll definitely revisit it some day.

5 comments:

Angie Tan said...

The two boys were very lucky.

About Watchmen, all I can say that they paid the comic a real tribute. The pace in the book was slow and plays out to be a great novel rather than your usual run of the mill graphic novel. ;-)

Mind you, this comic was written in 1986/87... Comics were written a bit differently then... I believe.

Anonymous said...

chris banging kids? 2 kids? having a 3-some? in his car!! paedo on da loose!

Chris said...

Angie: Hey there, Angie. Hope you're well.

I wanna watch it again! The actors who played Rorschach and Dr Manhattan respectively gave stellar performances.

Anonymous: I'll kick you when I see you in the office.

Anonymous said...

i personally despise mat rempits!!! yes thts wat they all are...effin road bullys...eeeeeeeeee bencu aku..

J

Anonymous said...

i meant benci..LOL

J