Friday 30 January 2009

2009 - January - WOW

How's everyone been? Hopefully the Year of the Ox started well for you.

Because mine is starting out to be the best year of my adult life.

And my worst.

The last month of the year of the Rat (my Chinese Zodiac year! w00t!) which was January brought me much experiences. Some very good and some very, very bad. I started the year literally doing nothing. I had just recovered from the flu (three years in a row I got sick on New Year's!) and I was at home when most were out ushering in 2009.

But I didn't give a damn, I just wanted to sleep.

Fast forward a few days, my colleagues and I had to pull out all the stops for our company's annual dinner. The theme was Caribbean, a theme yours truly campaigned for with utmost vigour (I have a flowery shirt). It was a mad time; I had to juggle increasing amounts of work (some were conveniently dumped on me and my team-mate) plus helping out with the preparations. And it didn't help that the steering committee was reduced to 4 persons after an initial 10. I'll skip the boring bits and go straight to the end: on the big day itself, I finally made a very important decision:

I am not going clubbing on my own accord ever again.*

I absolutely abhor everything about it: the perpetual non-rhythmic beats of "music"; the excessive drinking where you're labelled a teetotaler by a bleeding drunkard just because you can only drink a sip of beer. I loathe dimly lit places reeking of vile cigarette smoke where you have to squint your eyes and shout to your friend, "Where's the loo?" (Never say never, but for now, I'd much rather hang out at a café, sipping a nice cup of hot green tea with some dear friends.)

Just when I thought people who are absolute assholes couldn't possibly get any worse, they do! If you're going to lie, make perfectly sure you do not get caught. If you say you're sick, then at least cover it up properly! Don't do things that allow your cheats and deceit so glaringly obvious. The only positive, the one thing that is keeping me from unleashing bloody murder, is that I am learning how to deal with this nonsense so that in the future I can bodyslam any idiots who pull this stunt when I reach managerial level.

I'm not one to brag, but I think my little cousins look up to me. Or at the very least, like me. Maybe it's because I treat them as children, but not in that typical condescending way of "Who's a little cutey cutey?" It's difficult to explain, but whatever it is, I now feel duty-bound in helping them to develop into fine young gentlemen and hopefully impart to them good points of life.

Every end of the month from now on I will recap the month. I've left out some incidents, naturally, because rekindling the memories would just be painful, but rest assured I've recovered from the hurt.

Enjoy the weekend!

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I so need a haircut.

* = Truth be told, something totally out of character happened. Something that would make the future me a bit ashamed of. However, the experience and the wisdom gained is, beyond any shadow of a doubt, invaluable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading an account of one's distaste for clubbing, saying that it feels like they've been clubbed, what with the ringing ears and, if you're lucky, the next day's manifestation of the alcohol you imbibed. By lucky, I offer that term pretty loosely.

I haven't been clubbing since.. shit, I think college. Personally I like going clubbing as long as I know my company and I know who is likely going to be the crying drunk, the violent drunk, or the "will go on all night dancing" drunk. Even with dear friends, there are consequences, so I understand your preference for a more quiet evening.

So.. what IS this out of character thing you did? Would you permit me to use my imagination? =P

Anonymous said...

it had something to do with coconuts...

Chris said...

Maria: That is a story best savoured on a starry night, with a nice cup of coffee and chilled-out music. :-p

If I ever do tell, that is!

Anonymous: What talking you??? Bwahahaha. (Let's go breakfast... )

Mawar said...

Haih. You SO need to go clubbing with me. I can get u in FOC, into a club where no smoking allowed in the main room, where the sound system is out of this world, and the where the club won best interior award.

It's called Euphoria by Ministry of Sound.

;) hehehe.

Up for it?