Wednesday 27 June 2007

So you think you can write?

I’m going to the root of it all. You’ll know what I mean.

Every single time report card day came my teacher would praise me endless, saying that, oh, he’s such a good boy. A bit on the cheeky side, too. Each year had the same comments, just differently phrased. But the one thing that was always the same with all my teachers, both primary and secondary, from Standard 1 all the way to Form 5, was that I talked too much. I also answered back at my teachers, in a sarcastic manner and sometimes without realising that I should have kept my witty remarks to myself.

And the blame falls squarely on Enid Blyton and Television.

Hold your horses and before you throw rotten tomatoes at me, hear me out first. When I was a child I would watch Baja Hitam (translated literally as Black Fertiliser), Ultraman, He-Man, G.I. Joe, and other cartoons on TV1 at 7 p.m. When they were done I would be transported to a world where I was the brave hero (without the fancy costume consisting of a hairy chest and impossibly tight spandex trousers). When faced with adversity I would call upon my faithful comrades and wage bloody war against the forces of eeeeeevil.

Enid Blyton is the reason why I read as much as I do. Her tales of Golliwogs, the Famous Five and other interesting characters took my already vivid and at times abnormal imaginations to a whole new level.

This may sound weird but I don’t think I wouldn’t be as warped as I am without those things.

So, what’s with the fact that I have a motor mouth that tends to spew forth sarcastic remarks at remarkable speeds and accuracy to do with writing anyway? It is essentially the reason why I love to write. I doubt my writing would be as half as what it is.

Blogging enables me to be myself but without having to reveal my true self. You read my thoughts and opinions yet you don’t know anymore what I choose to write. For all you know I’m a sadistic mutilator of souls with a fetish for blueberry ice-cream.

I never once thought of my writing as excellent. At the very most I would call it readable. Heck, I even annoy myself at the way I construct my sentences. They either have too many commas, incongruous usage of big words, oft going off tangent and so forth. But I’m constantly on the lookout for ways to improve the way I tell a story. I still feel I have loads more to learn and try out. My writing style may not be the best there is but I’m proud to say that the style I write is my way.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: This post is dedicated to my friends and fellow bloggers you see on your right side of the screen. You guys keep me inspired to write, sometimes think till my head hurts, wishing that I could write just as good as you beautiful people and am truly grateful for all the wonderful comments to my posts. I used to think that if no one commented, I’d still be happy but now not so. Call me a drama queen but every time I see just even one comment, a smile will be etched on my face for a good half day. I kid you not.

Have a nice day everyone!

8 comments:

chris said...

nah...must smile half day lor!

Lia said...

mmmm, blueberry ice cream. although plain vanilla would be fine, too.

i think a lot of people who enjoy writing started out as very verbal children. some of us stay verbal, some of us learn when to keep our mouthes shut. but the brain is still churning away, and at some point, it has to come out in some form.

keep it up, chris!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I told a friend of mine that I shudder to think about all the many blessings I've denied myself by being snarky and bitchy. I want to feel bad about it, but it's really the fault of the people who make it too easy for me to target them. It's all their fault, not mine.

You should adopt my philosophy henceforth, chris, because I am wise.

Syar said...

Its the comments that keep us coming back to this drug we call blogging.

Aww, I am so touched. You inspire me too.

This is the second post I've read about writing. The Universe is seriously kicking my ass for slacking off. I'm sorry Big U! I'll start writing again, geez.

Anna Maria Junus said...

I loved Enid Blyton although I never read about her Gollywogs.

Jean Knee said...

Watch out Chris, you used the word queen. You just got yourself an R rating I believe.

Maria Celina said...

Enid Blyton!?! I thought I was the only one who read her stuff.. but it's awesome that you did as well. She was quite clever in her own, old-fashioned way, but her vivid writing and how it triggered the imagination is timeless. I also read The Secret Seven, did you hear of them?

It's good that you're sticking with your guns in terms of your writing style. People shouldn't tell you how to write your entries (maybe with the exception of spelling errors, but that's up to you to correct it), because how you write is part of who you are. I am also quite verbose in my blog, but that's because I enjoy it. If people don't, then I guess that's life, really. =)

I remember Lawrence and I talking about your blog, and he made a mention on how much he liked your writing and how you clearly had talent for it. So I guess you'll still have more fans to come. =)

Chris said...

Other Chris: Today I'm going to smile all day!

Lia: I'm still learning when to keep my mouth shut.

I'd like a blueberry ice cream, too.

Lady Elastic: Snarky and bitchy? Me? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a darn!

Syar: Slacker Syar! Doesn't really have a nice ring to it, though.

Anna Maria Junus: Blyton was accused of racism for her Golliwogs. But as a kid, I didn't care. Thank you for leaving a comment!

Jean Knee: I don't know what you mean exactly but I've already put down my tiara. It's a bit heavy.

Maria: I think children whose parents predominantly speak English at home would eventually buy them Enid Blyton books. They're even better at teaching the fundamentals than the teachers at school!

I thought I was verbose. Until I read your blog, naturally. ;)

I don't know why but getting a thumbs up Lawrence seems like a big deal and rightly so. The dude's a cool monster of knowledge.

PS: I've forgotten most of Blyton's stories. I'm too much into Gaiman now.