Thursday 14 June 2007

I’m gay to be gay!

The two men were immaculately dressed: their shirts were pressed and ironed to perfection, their sandals were from the trendy bohemian store in the trendy bohemian enclave of the city, and they had sunglasses that could be classified as tinted windshields due to the size and depth. Each one of them had a scarf wrapped around their neck and snaked all around their person. This was a strange sight considering the sun was murderously hot that day. Their talk was highly animated, what with flailing arms and wide-eyed looks whenever one of them sees a shirt that while it looks pretty good to the normal and straight man, is really and undeniably cute to them. Some of the men just passed on by them, as if the world was already too weird for them to give a crap about two men shopping but there were some of the more male men who gave them cockeyed, deriding smirks—when they weren’t within range, naturally. The contented gay men carried on their shopping spree, not giving a damn about what other people thought of them. Their happiness is all that matters.

Being gay seems to be catching up these days. I’ve noticed that there are more and more gays and I’m not talking about the ones who work in salons and at the perfume counters. Stick your head into any high-end clothing boutique and voila! gay man looking at a pink shirt. Generalising and slightly offensive, but that’s the case these days, isn’t it?

I posed a rather controversial question once to two of my good friends. It was, “What if your child is gay? What would you do?” They both had the same initial reaction: they didn’t know what to do. When prodded further, one of them was left speechless while the other tried to come up with a perfectly reasonable and rational answer. He didn’t. Suffice it to say, it really is the sort of question that will only be answered when the time comes.

If ever, my son or daughter was to come up to me and say that they’re gay and they’ve know about it for a long time, I would at first be shocked, then sit down, have a chat with the missus and then throw my son or daughter out. Just kidding, folks. I guess I would probably ask my child whether they are who they say they are, and hopefully, try to accept the fact. Because, honestly, life is something that has to be experienced, and there are times where things happen for a reason even though you’ve been planning your life since they day you saw that accounting journal. It'll be difficult, yes, but I'll be damned if I let my family crumble just because my son loves football and the footballers.

I personally don’t give a damn whether or not you’re gay, bisexual, straight, occasionally gay, sometimes not that straight or whatever. I don’t give a shit and neither should you. But if you are, please don’t smack my butt. I might take it the wrong way.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Scissor Sisters’ songs are cool. I’d rather listen to them than to any of today’s so-called “music”. Mika is starting to annoy me, though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGZ! This is totally reminiscent of a conversation that we had when we were in Singapore, man! I clearly remembered because of the last sentence (before the post script) of your post and me laughing my head off for like 3 minutes.

I applaud you for a balanced and yet very tactful and honest post on homosexuality. I also don't know what to do if any of my children will end up being gay. I think any parental instinct of blaming their own upbringing methods will be inevitable, but at the end of the day, they're still my kid. What I really hate, though, are those anti-gay slogans that say "Focus on the family", etc. etc., because I think it's so hypocritical. If your kid happens to be gay, and you want to so-called 'focus on the family', then focus on your relationship with the kid, because gay or not, blood is thicker than water. But that's just me. =P

PS. I think you might have to explain the title to me. =P I think I'm a little slow today!

Lia said...

I was at the Clinique counter this week, picking out a new foundation, when two men approached and started testing the eyeliners. I guess I never really thought about men and makeup, even gay men. The salesgirl acted like it happens every day, which it probably does. Still, it came as a bit of a surprise to me.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

You posted something new and that made me feel GAY all over!

I won't lie. If my child came to me and announced that he/she was heading down something other than the STRAIGHT and narrow path, I'd feel unabashedly disappointed because I know that they're choosing a difficult lot in life that will bring them untold heartache and trouble. Statistics on these matters aren't pretty, and while public perception is changing, there will always be a stigma. Notice I use the word choose. While I agree that we're born with certain tendencies, I believe that we have the freedom of choice to follow through on them, or not.

My fave song right this very nanosecond? Scissor Sisters "The Other Side."

Chris said...

Marz: The title explains it all! (I'm trying to be smart but this massive headache of mine is preventing me to come up with something really funny. Darn.)

Lia: It really is a once in a very blue moon to see not one but two gay guys looking eyeliner. I've never seen any, yet. But something tells me it's not going to be long. Most guys here are embracing the "wearing pink makes me look cool but let's be honest, I'm not" look.

Gaychard: Queer la you, man!

Lady Elastic: Asians will never get used to the fact that there are, indeed, gay Asians. It's probably the rice that we eat. Way too much carbs.

Jean Knee said...

Oh chris, oh chris. You apparently haven't seen this month's issue of
detail magazine. Not all gays are good with clothes. Who Knew?


check out the article in Details, would they steer ya wrong?

Chris said...

Jean Knee: We don't get that magazine here in Malaysia. I think. But I've read the online version. Pretty interesting, to say the least. At least I know gay men have the same problems as I do!

And thanks for visiting me blog. Check back later for more!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the age old, gay = sin theory.

Basically, if my kid comes up to me and says he/she is gay, I'm fine with it, but it must be something they truly want. Gay or not, they're still humans, and they have rights.

The simple fact that many are still homophobic shows how mass media have brainwashed them. Many people I know tend to steer clear from gay people as if they have some kind of disease. They would also automatically assume a man wearing anything feminine is gay. It just sickens me how how disgusting humanity can be at times.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I wear eyeliner and platformed creepers.

Does that automatically make me gay?

Oh, check out "Tits On The Radio" and "Laura" from the Scissor Sisters. Gets frequent play on my playlist.