Thursday 7 June 2007

Let’s see, what to ban next? I know! Let’s just ban everything!


When the controversial The Da Vinci Code opened across the globe, people were once again questioning what was right and what was wrong. To me, it’s just a movie adapted from a highly popular and somewhat absurd novel. Which I think is what Mr. Brown intended all along; a book that entertains first, pose questions much, much later. If your faith is strong, then why should you let a writer’s imagination—especially one that writes fiction—to tell you otherwise?

I remember clearly the hullabaloo surrounding Sepet (Slit Eyes or Sloe Eyes or -,-). The story as most of us know is about an inter-racial relationship that manages to transcend boundaries between what is normal and what is deemed shouldn’t be taking place. Yes, there were some scenes that left me slightly wide-eyed but not entirely surprised. At its core it was a love story that involves inter-racial elements and it was done not in a judgemental way.

I strongly believe that with overzealous censoring what is deemed inappropriate would only make things much worse. And by they way, to the people who think they know best: I present to you one word that will make every single one of your remarks about “that you know what’s right” null and void—Google.

I do agree that, yes, there are certain forms of entertainment that glorifies violence, sex, drugs, women and gold teeth to the point that it’s all a means for them to make as much money as they can from unsuspecting people. What I don’t agree is the double standards. Why it is that rock is given a bad rep while The Pussycat Dolls are free to strut, pose and sluttify Sway in front of young and adoring adolescent girls?

I could list a million and one things that could be banned from our society. Each will mostly likely take the piss out of every one of you. Like, for some example, if we really want to stop smoking then all we have to do is just ban cigarettes, cigars and pipes. While we’re at it, let’s throw in shisha as well. Especially the mixed fruit flavour.

*we interrupt this article to bring you this important announcement: Google rules supreme! MUAHAHA!

*we now return to our regular programming*

If we’re serious about things then we should be educating our children just as soon as they know their ABCs. Build their knowledge from young, show them that it is wrong to do some of the things that us idiot adults commit. Would you rather your son learn how to smoke and drink from his friends or would you rather tell him that doing those are bad?

Curiosity killed the cat and you don’t even have to be like CSI to find out who the killer is. Maybe we should ban that next? It does give would-be killers and rapist ways in which to pull their crime and getting away with it. But then again, which stupid fellow would copy what they see on TV?

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Only the first CSI matters. Grissom and co rule!

5 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Are you really hating on the Pussycat Dolls? Come on, Chris, you know you secretly harbor a desire to try out to be the new Pussycat Doll they're holding a contest to find. "Don't cha wish your girlfriend had a hairy chest like me? Don't cha wish your girlfriend could sing bass like me? Don't cha?"

I hope you have some strong tape in Malaysia. You know for taping up 'bits.' I recommend you go with the black leather mini.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Do you realize how Michael Buble sticks out like a sore thumb in your sidebar? He's going to get his lily ass kicked by those black leather and heavily chained rockers around him.

Chris said...

I won't even attempt at an answer to your Pussycat Dolls suggestion. But, I will say this: them "bits" will be covered.

I love the new Buble album simply because after getting my ears pounded by drums going at 280bpm, I need something soothing.

Hilary Duff doesn't work anymore.

Syar said...

I totally understand the complaint about the Pussycat Dolls. They originated from a burlesque show and that's not risque enough for our country apparently.

Did they ban anything new to spur this post, or was this a general rant you've long harboured (like the rest of us)?

That said, I totally wouldn't mind if Christina Aguilera was mummy-wrapped so she could perform here, so long as she's out of the clutches of those darned Singaporeans. It's all about territory and ownership now and those kiasu people are pushing it!

Yeah, that's my long-harboured rant.

Chris said...

Syar: I've had the draft of this for a long time now but I decided to bust it out and finally finish it when I went to get the new Dream Theater last week. It wasn't released yet. Stupid local music scene!