Wednesday 4 July 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!

This is a continuation of last week’s, “Why a guy named Chris is blogging and why the heck is he so annoying?

Early incarnations of my blog were—to put it mildly—bloody pathetic. The reason being was that I thought, “Hey, my English’s excellent. I can write fairly well. I think I’ll give this blogging thing a go.”

Boy oh boy was I darn wrong. Darn bloody wrong, if truth be told!

I started blogging roughly four years ago. I don’t remember what it was called then but it was something to do with wantonly slaughtering rabbits. Just kidding, kids. I just skinned them. The early days of my blog could prove to be about as embarrassing as finding out that I actually like cute things. I’m not ashamed about my blog’s early days but damnit, I get red in the face just reading the past posts. Thankfully, this period of ignominy lasted about a year before I closed the blog and took a leave of absence.

A year or so later, came the time where a new blog was born. It was to be jointly written and updated almost daily. And there was no-one better time to share it with my then girlfriend. Granted, I’ve always told my friends that I was the better writer but in actuality, it was her. She* (* = Thank you. You know who you are.) really put in a lot of effort to make it look cool. In my attempts at trying to be the rather witty and at times sardonic boyfriend, I took it upon me to say things only a dingbat could say to impress everyone, from her friends to mine. I don’t quite remember what was written, but suffice it to say, it wasn’t anything that garnered any meritorious acclaim.

After some time, I reverted back to the “What I did today” style of blogging. The writing was marginally better, if I may be so bold to say. It was still entrenched in juvenile meanderings but at least it didn’t sound as though a 10-year-old was writing it. The word count certainly got higher to the point where it was simply me saying the same things repeatedly albeit in different ways. Don’t believe me? Just read the 2004 posts and you’ll see what I mean.

Over-confidence tends to triumph over lack of creativity.

After much thought, a makeover was in order and as a result Whacker Inc was born. This present incarnation is where I write about topics where I have an opinion on or whatever I’ve experienced in my incredibly dull life. There are, naturally, some topics I wish I could write about but at present, I don’t feel that I’m properly equipped or learned enough to convey my true thoughts. I try my best to write in a manner that is both satirical and thoughtful at the same time. I want people who read my blog to smile, mull things over and to ultimately feel that they’ve read something worth their 5 minutes. I strive for perfection but I know that it is the imperfections that give my writing that certain chutzpah. (I sincerely hope so otherwise my licence to use “chutzpah” will be revoked indefinitely.)

As you all know, I am never satisfied with any of my writings. Granted, I’ve used some pretty fancy words in my posts but that’s all thanks to the thesaurus. I always think they’re not up to par or worse, not interesting enough. This is good in some way I suppose. It drives me clinically insane now and again but at least it drives me mad to better myself as a writer and storyteller. I intend to write for a very long time (GASP!).

I give thanks to all my family members, friends, idiots, Karma and Life for providing me with the inspiration to write. Without their (voluntary and involuntary) contribution, my blog would be as dull as watching paint dry on a wet Sunday. I raise my glass of milk and salute those who take the time to read and to those who leave comments.

Till the next time, happy blogging everyone!

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I don’t remember exactly when my blog was unleashed unto the cyber world, so I’m going to make it today. Happy Anniversary to Whacker Inc!

8 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I started mine on New Years Day 2006. You know that U2 song? That was my blog that first day. :All is quiet on New Years Day...." Yeah, I got ZERO comments, but still I persisted and look where I am today.......the number one source for people goggling if its okay to give jello to their dachsunds sick with diarrhea. Seriously.

Happy Blogiversary Chris!

Jean Knee said...

Yes happy anniversary Chris. I found your blog through that clever elastic wbl. I guess my blog style is a bit different from yours, I don't care if it's perfect and I definitely write like a ten year old. I don;t have to think that way.

Hey, I just like readin your stuff

Syar said...

Whoa, 4 years? That's long man. I was sorta blogging at Kiwibox way back when but that never really counted. Happy Bloggiversary to you!

Elastic : Zero comments? Hard to think of a time when you weren't positively flooded with bloggy adulation.

Lia said...

Congrats on making it this far. I would tell you to stop worrying about if the writing or content is good enough because you're writing for yourself and not for anyone else, except that you're saying that feelings of inadequacy are motivating you to improve and that that's what your real blogging goal is. But don't worry about them too much. We're glad you're in the blogosphere.

Anonymous said...

Great post, as usual, Chris!

It's good to see that you have such a history with your weblog, which gives the whole project a meaning. =) I actually started blogging shortly after my boyfriend and I started dating and that was some months after an ex and I broke up, but it has to do more with the primary than the former.

I can't wait to see this project grow over the years. Whacker Inc is already amazing, and it'll definitely get better as the years pass. And I'll definitely be there to witness that. =)

Anonymous said...

I give all my thanks to crap and the crappy stories I have to tell about it. Without them, I wouldn't be Crap Happy Mama!

Happy Bloggy Versary!

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: You've built yourself quite the audience. And rightly so. After all, the only difference between me and the other angst-ridden Malaysian male with an opinion is that I'm a metalhead with a soft spot for babies, kittens, puppies and pink-coloured shorts.

Jean Knee, Syar, Lia, Marz, Crap Happy Mama: Thanks!

Mawar said...

u were always a better writer than she ever was. ;)

happy 4 years!