Thursday 12 July 2007

Live Pfftt

Last Saturday was all right. At 6:50 a.m. (I set the alarm), I woke up and switched all the lights off. Since there were no plans in the morning, I slept again. A few hours later, I finally woke up, brushed my teeth and a rumbling in my tummy signalled the need for food. Since it was almost noon, I had brunch with the family. After brunch at the nearby restaurant and narrowly avoiding hitting an old lady, I turned on my laptop, put in the new Dream Theater in my stereo and throughout the whole day did nothing but entertain myself. The rest of the family were downstairs watching the telly. All this seem innocuous enough, yes? But guess what:

We just contributed to global warming which in turn leads to the imminent extirpation of the Earth.

But mostly we just contributed to a higher electric bill.

It would seem them celebrities and their fame and their celebrityness can somehow miraculously manufacture feelings of affection for the Big Guy’s Green Earth. And that was what Live Earth tried to achieve. Seeing Jennifer Garner using a filter for her coffee will make everyone make a mad dash for filters. Um, nope. Let’s not forget there’s Esther, Madonna, the singer who looks like a transvestite, who tried to pull the wool over somebody’s eyes people but has justly been vilified.

Do you care what a celebrity has to say about protecting the Earth? These are the same people who earn millions and most of the time they spend it on themselves. Would Snoop Dogg clear weed out of his garden as opposed to smoking it? What the fuck does that scumbag, lowlife, useless Kanye West and the rest of the sordid ilk known as rappers know anything about saving the planet? They have entourages the size of a small village! Does singing about a Gold Digger make you want to stop driving and ride a bicycle? Before you think I’m a prejudiced metalhead, what the hell does Metallica’s Enter Sandman hope to accomplish? Will it help impoverished and destitute children in war-torn countries? And don’t get me started with Rihanna and her god-awful brainless Umbrella and its even more meaningless lyric. Mainstream music entertains, not elucidates.

As I went for a quick jog in the evening around my neighbourhood, I saw children running around, chasing each other, laughing. But tell them that the empty packet of junk food they just ate will make the Earth sick they’ll just smile and continue chasing each other. Or better yet, why not go up to their parents and tell them that their child was just seen littering. Since apathy is intrinsic to most people’s nature, they’ll just laugh it off and tell you to mind your business. I had a friend once who kept throwing garbage in the parking lot of our college. When admonished, he simply laughed. My smoker friends chuck empty cigarette packets onto the ground. I’ve seen men with their chunky rings and necks the width of small trees in their Mercedes and BMWs throw stuff out in plain view of everyone. Women so immaculately dressed in their designer clothing don’t bother to pick up their tissue paper when they miss the bin. I could list out more but I’ll just be wasting anger.

Sometimes I feel as though I have enmity coursing through my veins, which makes me act like a bitter old man. Again, I don’t know how many times I’ve said this but I’ll keep on saying it: education is the key to a better future. Teach a kid that it’s wrong to litter and he’ll remember it. It’s that simple. Having concerts that promote global issues and such does nothing to change a person’s habit. “But if one out of a thousand changes, then, that’s good, right?” I hear you say. Yes and no. It’s good that one person has changed but what about the 999 others who had a great time and is looking forward to another entertaining extravaganza. It is precisely because of their indifference that makes it ineffectual.

Simply put: just being alive contributes to global warming, and ultimately, the Earth’s end. Think of all the things you do; the baths that you take; the food that you eat; the place where you go to hang out; the shows that you watch on TV, and so on. But we also have the power to make things right and well (Al Gore would be so proud of me). We fete people who entertain us, make us laugh, who make us wish we were like them. But they aren’t heroes. The real heroes are the ones who make it their life’s work to make the world a better place. They are the ones we should be lending a helping hand. We don’t know them. But we can help them.

The world doesn’t need any more concerts. It needs our immediate attention.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: During the course of writing this piece, the author did not rush out to buy a paper filter for his tea. He used a teabag.

6 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Personally, I HEART hypocrite entertainers who tell me to ride my bike to work while they suck up infinite more amounts of earth resources than I, or my family, ever will.

Father Al Gore has the biggest electric bill in Tennessee according to state records and his employees admitted that he DOES NOT use energy saving bulbs like he admonished us little people to do. His son likes natural resources, though. Like marijuana! Barbara Streisand told us little people to line dry our laundry and drive less while she jets coast to coast to her various houses on private planes and her NY apartment has thousands of fresh flowers brought in every month even when she's not there. Right.

Jean Knee said...

well I want to make a snappy little comment but you and elastic have said it all- mostly-
all those entertainers for Al Gores green concert used more private jet fuel than our whole state or something(I don;t actually know the correct stats on that but you know what I mean)

Syar said...

Bravo. I've been feeling this way ever since that fateful day I plopped down to watch An Inconvenient Truth. Never has a PowerPoint presentation scared me into so much guilt and worry.

I didn't tune in to Live Earth, but I read asll the press and articles condemning it's acts, accusing the transvestite artist woman of fraternizing with organizations that further pollute the planet, saying that the concert was a gigantic carbon-emitting waste of time.

I'm breathing right now and putting carbon dioxide into the air. Even if we all died, I'm sure our decomposing bodies wouldn't be too kind on the Earth's atmosphere.

I try as much as I can remember to, but you are so right. Education is the only way.

Anonymous said...

I actually didn't tune into Live Earth so I cannot really comment much on this. But in general, while I do believe that putting up concerts may be an incentive to get people who love music (but who are otherwise apathetic about the world around them), but then again, those concerts, when done over and over again, can be seen as entertaining their apathy. And that's not right, as you said: "The world doesn’t need any more concerts. It needs our immediate attention." And it does.

But when you talked about "the singer who looks like a transvestite" I could not stop laughing. =P

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: I've always loathed Barbara Streisand. This gives me yet another reason. Thanks!

Jean Knee: The electricity needed to power the amps and whatnots of the various artistes were enough to power my house for a month and more. Known fact, but did anyone care? Apparently not.

Syar: After watching National Geographic and the Discovery Channel for the last 10 years (and as a kid I used to read a lot on nature) has made me aware of the need to protect the Earth. Admittedly, my efforts are very little but I'm aiming to change that with each passing day. You'll see me carrying a pink shopping bag soon.

Maria: Bob Geldof did say that Live Earth "lacked a specific goal". Rightly so.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I liked how PETA got all pissed because they chose to sell meat at Live Earth. If ever there was a redeeming value for such a monstrosity as Live Earth, there it is.