Thursday 5 April 2007

Clubbing + Chris = Natural Disaster

As many of you know, I’m not particularly fond of clubbing. I don’t see the point of being in a dimly lit room, surrounded by half drunken chicks gyrating in front of me…hmm, let me rephrase that, I don’t like drunken chicks that are not pretty gyrating in front me. Ah, Much better. Where was I? Oh yes, I’m more of a person who values my hearing and my kidneys so being in a club is akin to putting a quiet golfer in a room filled with screaming football mad fans. I hate golf by the way (though I kind of like Michelle Wie’s legs. They go on for ever…). Where was I again? Oh my, my sincerest apologies. It’s just that I feel there’s so much more to life than being subjected to things that clashes with your morals, ethics, and sanity or whatever. This is a lifestyle. I’m not taking anything away from how one chooses to have fun but I do have the right to say that I’d rather be in a jazz bar and hopefully see a jazz band play some really good music. Sounds rather boring to you but it is oh so delightful to me.

So what made me to be this way? Is it my inherent dorkiness? Why am I blasé to the craze? Maybe I have to thank my dad, who essentially incarcerated me from going to these kinds of places during my teens. Of course when you have a tyrant for a ruler there’s nothing much a plebeian can do, right? But I think I have to really thank my innate parsimonious nature. Or as we say it here in Malaysia, Kedekut sial!

Let us do some math shall we:

Petrol for going to such a place = RM10, I tend to take wrong turns;
Parking fees = RM10;
Cover charge = RM35;
A pint of beer = RM20, I don’t want to spend a night with Timmy and Tommy.

All in all, the total is almost RM75! And that’s only a conservative account. There’s also the matter of supper or rather food to eat after someone pukes their dinner. So, you see, it’s a painful ordeal for me to whip out my wallet and fork that amount of money when I could be enjoying a classic rock album with a cup of coffee which would set me back only half of that amount.

I’m more of a homebody. I prefer to listen to music, read a good book and then get my 8-hour beauty sleep. If there’s a good show on the telly or a nice DVD then I’ll watch it. Why is it so hard for people to understand that this is who I really am? I know for a fact that I’m more of an outside person looking inside. Most importantly, I know me. And I prefer my hedonism with a bit more sophistication, thank you very much. A club with near-inebriated girls just strikes me as the perfect place to NOT have intelligent conversations.

Maybe a few years down the road I may end up eating my very own words. I could be seen clubbing with a couple of babes on each side of me till the wee hours every week. Who knows, right?

Now, where did I put my exclusive and extremely hard to get into, book club membership card?

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Girls who go clubbing yet have the intelligence to blow my socks away are hot. Girls who club and display the intelligence of solid wood are NOT hot.

9 comments:

Syar said...

I too don't club. I actually have an assignment today for the place I work (you know which one) involving a press conference at Zouk. I don't know the way and when I asked the journo going with me he said "You should know how to get to Zouk right?"

Uh no. The last time I went, for We Are Scientists, they turned me down and I haven't been since.

I know myself quite well, I'd like to think, and I know the club scene is not my scene. The drinking would be annoying to me, as its half the point of clubbing and I don't drink. And dancing...well, I think I'd only dance if I were drunk and since that's not possible, I just don't dance.

I wish there were a club for homebodies, with giant shelves filled with books and listening stations and great coffee and snacks and plush carpeting and seating. No trance music, no hipsters, no drunken girls. And, (specially for you), FREE everything.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous commenter's last paragraph. Except I think that could be the next generation of coffee shops.. except, maybe without the 'free' part, but hey, we could work on i. =P

I club, but only if I have a really good reason to, and those reasons are friends. I club in the company of my friends, and I only am there for the company. However, there are times when I am reminded why I would have rather had a quite conversation in Starbucks instead.

Well, I'm glad that you're sticking with your guns and not giving into the trend-following 'masses'. =)

Btw, when you go to Singapore, we'll look for a jazz bar. And (another btw!) Lawrence is coming down next month. =) We should try to arrange something. =)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I go clubbing every week. Sometimes, twice a week. I even drink as I stand around chatting with fellow clubbers. Ummm, that would be our homeschool Book Club, and the Latin Club I schlep my kids to.

If I'm going to go clubbing, it'll be for some baby seals......Mama needs a new winter coat!

Syar said...

Please be kidding, Elastic. Baby seals are serious business.

*trembles in fear*

Chris said...

Syar: I find it weird that when you tell people that you don't drink/dance/smoke at a club, they'll raise their eyebrow and shoot you a look of bemusement and slight incredulity. "C'mon la, drink a bit la. Give me face la." I used to get this a lot when I accompanied my friends. Can't they just accept it that I'm hear to look at skimpily dressed girls, trying my best to not get deaf because of the sodding, annoying as feck music and wondering when I can breathe fresh air.

And I for one would love to have such a club. A club where people can have decent conversations and at times, dressed skimpily. The women, of course.

Marz: A Free everything club in Malaysia would be raided, most definitely. I can hear the raiding party: "Jangan tipu saya, mana ada FREE dalam Malaysia!" (Loosely translated as: "Don't lie to me, there's no such thing as FREE in Malaysia!")

I don't follow trends becaus I'm too stingy. :p

Argh! My next trip to Singapore would be probably in June or July. If the dude's still there, we shall endeavour to find a nice jazz bar. :)

Lady Elastic: I so knew it that you would be the one to say that.

Syar: I saw a video, briefly, of seal clubbing. Suffice to say, I don't want to ever see it again.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Syar, I keed, I keed! If it ain't cotton or a soft blend of natural fibers, then elastic don't wear it. You can forgive me now for my naugahyde vest and mini skirt set. It was the Boot Scootin Boogie country dance craze of the early 90's and I got peer pressured into it. To the best of my knowledge, no actual naugahydes were harmed in the creation of my hideous dancing outfit.

Syar said...

This is why I don't teman friends to clubs. My teman-ing services extend to hospital visits, bathroom visits, errands and everything but clubbing debauchery.

Raided? But we'd just be drinking coffee or juice and reading Dostoyevsky*! Damn Malaysian authorities.

*By Dostoyevsky I mean Archie comics but whatevs.

Lia said...

I'm so with you on this one, Chris. I never could quite get the concept of clubbing. I should probably try it once before I totally condemn it, though. But I don't think I'll bother.

Mawar said...

heyyyy i was supposed to take u clubbing like eons ago!! come laaaaaaaa i take u proper clubbing.