Wednesday 28 March 2007

You CAN be Nerdy/Geeky and Cool at the SAME time


Bill Gates. Filthy rich mofo. He lied, tricked and grinned his way to the pinnacle of pinnacles. Back when his competitors were still thinking in 8-bit terms his thoughts were in 128-bit. And guess what, he even dropped out of college. I mean, wow, dude! If I’d dropped out of college I would have ended up selling Portuguese egg tarts, fake Rolexes and savoury biscuits in Petaling Street. Yet, the only thing in common between me and Mr. Gates is this:

We are nerds.

We’re fascinated with things that make our lives simpler and more enjoyable. We are the reason why we have technology. While that may sound arrogant it is the truth. What the consumers want, we giveth. Nerds are so fascinated with the world that they forget the most important aspect that could alter their lives completely: that they’re actually a part of it too. Nerds are the people you want when your computer crashes. You want a nerd to tell you that your bank account has been terminated. You want a nerd to tell you that hey, your dog’s dead, I ran him over with my new radio-controlled Hummer. Why do you want a nerd for all the above you may ask? Simple! It’s because in the first case, you can shout at the nerd to hasten and repair your computer unless you want your boss all over your ass. Second case is that you can pound his sorry face with your bank book. And lastly, you can destroy his toy, trample on it and then trample him.

That was too much of me. I went overboard with the rhetoric and I sincerely apologise. But what I did was to illustrate that nerds help the world spin and are oft looked down. Why? Because it’s terribly easy to tease and mock them.

I am also a geek. I love computers even though I couldn’t be bothered with keeping up with the latest in technology these days, they end up being obsolete by the time I’m done reading the last paragraph anyway. I talk about Gundam from time to time and note how beautiful some of the models are. I gush over the latest McFarlane toys like a school kid seeing cleavage (hmm, I still do gush…).

And I still wear glasses when some of my contemporaries have gone the way of contacts (sounds kind of lame but I do love my Adidas glasses and I couldn’t be bothered with all the hassle wearing contacts entails). I wear dorky cargo pants when I go to the market. I couldn’t be bothered with making my hair stand so high as though I was aiming to skewer a lizard which decided to plummet unto my unintentional death-trap. Most of my working shirts are branded (cheap brands tend leave very tough stains) but always bought during sale. The only thing I’m willing to spend a lot is on footwear. There’s nothing like wearing a pair of good running shoes.

I am proud to be a nerd. But I also am a proud nerd that knows some bit of fashion and more often than when to put down the striped pink bicycle shorts. Nerds around the world, UNITE!

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Nerdy girls are strangely attractive.


PPS: All right, I looked up the etymology of both Nerd and Geek and suffice it to say (I even looked this up) I'm going to add on a couple of things to the post, so, please check back again.* It's one of those things where you think you know but actually don't. TTFN.

* Thanks to Lia for pointing it out to me.

Addendum: After going through a research of sorts involving lots of Wikipedia's resources, I've come to the conclusion that a Nerd and a Geek are totally two different things. Personally, a nerd is someone who is really into something whereas a geek has a more practical approach to his hobbies. Of course, there are other factors to the equation but for the sake of simplicity, that's my take.

I sound like a dork now.
Have a great weekened, yo!

10 comments:

Swift said...

Nerdy girls are strangely attractive - This I strongly agree. But hard to find >.<

Lia said...

I'm worried, Chris. I see you using "nerd" and "geek" interchangably, and this worries me. Nerds are bad. They have no social skills. Geeks are good. They are technologically competent and get excited by cool techy things that scare the plebian masses. Geeks can be cool and suave. Bill Gates is a geek. He may also be a nerd, but I don't think he is.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've only felt an attraction for nerdy nerds and the nerdarific ways they have about them, my entire life. Case in point? I think David Duchovny and Bill Nye the science guy are smoking hot. I'd take them over a Brad Pitt any day. I also like super nerdy Mexican singer, Aleks Syntek. Yeah, I like nerds, cuz that's just how I roll, dawg! Oh, and I'm a geek/dork hybrid, not a nerd.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Here's the blog proof of my geekiness. Geek Squad Commander.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, nerdy girls are indeed strangely attractive but are damn bloody rare. Anyways, DragonForce is coming to Singapore. Wanna go? tickets are below 70. Venue is pretty lame. Hit me up on MSN if you wanna come.

Chris said...

Richard: Darn and I thought you knew many. :)

Lia: I always thought of nerds as the visual, you can tell a person is a nerd just by looking at him whereas a geek is someone you have to engage in conversation with to be sure of his orientation (soundds kind of odd, hehe). I think from now on I shall call myself a gerd.

Lady Elastic: Mr.Duchovny made droll sound melodious and looking like he just got out of bed for the third time cool. I hear he's a god for nerds. At least, that's what my nerdier friends told me.

Geeks around the world UNITE!

Brandon: I have to check my schedule and fast depleting piggy bank. Will holler on MSN, soon.

kirana said...

Well bro, I don't know why but that post reminded me of the song "Squeeze My Lizard" by Motorhead (insert umlaut in the middle).

Your posts never fail to open up one's mind and make one think about more than one thing. Ting!

Chris said...

Kirana: You're fine too kind, man. And Lemmy is God. The God of Warts, that is.

Syar said...

I'm a nerdy girl! Right here! Me!

Do you know that there was a poll of Malaysian students and like only 20% knew who Bill Gates is? Seriously.

Lia said...

I like your way of distinguishing nerds and geeks. It's true, though I've never thought of it like that before: you can usually tell a nerd on sight, but it's generally harder to spot a geek. And I may have to start using "gerd".

Syar - That's scary. How can anyone not know who Bill Gates is?