Wednesday 7 March 2007

If the moon and the sun were balls and aligned so that they would…

Last Saturday’s newspaper had a revelation. According to one article bearing the title, “Beware the moon for it will conflate with the sun under its iniquitous bosom,” it said that due to the lunar eclipse one should be wary. It also mentioned that the moon would be very moody (kind of like a woman, eh?) thus will rays of badness. I thought it was a load of rubbish.

That day I had an uneasy feeling. I was knackered. I had no idea why. And besides, I had already gone to the warehouse sale on books (argh! I saw a number of the books I had bought a few weeks earlier at half the freaking price!) where my mind went wild and my wallet suffered anorexia. So what could I possibly want?

Hot dogs.

Not the variant where the wiener is no longer than my pinky finger (which is long but you, um, get the idea) but the ones at the world’s biggest emporium for chairs and butt massagers, IKEA*. I had to fetch my sister from the train station and it was off we go. On the road leading to the station, I trailed this beat-up junk of a car, no faster than a speeding tortoise, with a table strapped to its boot. Now, any person with the intelligence of a six-year-old knows that you have to really strap it in lest if falls off whilst you drive. In fact, that same kid will tell you’re being a total oaf for doing such a thing. What are the chances of it coming loose? Well, if you were me on that soon-to-be horrible day then the chance will occur and it will be right in front of my face. I managed to brake in time and swerve my car a little otherwise I would have been obliged to call a carpenter to extricate pieces of wood sticking out of my car. Or worse.

Next up, as I was heading to the shopping mall, the road that I normally take has potholes and more potholes. I always manage to avoid them. That day, no such thing. Thankfully, none of my wheels came off. After having our butts jarred by the uncomfortable thumps to its soft nature, it was time to act like sharks on the hunt: finding an elusive parking spot at 3 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. (I’ll tell you guys about Malaysian shopping habits soon.) Round and round we went, like hammerhead sharks going in circles to find their prey. Every time a spot opened itself I would put pedal to the metal only to find that another person had spotted it and duly parked their car faster than you can say Bugger. After what seemed like eternity, we decided that we should just go home. According to my sister, we didn’t need to pay for the ticket since the machine spat it out saying payment wasn’t necessary. However, when I put the ticket into the ticket-eating machine I saw the words, “Please pay the damn ticket you fool,” I knew we had been punked. It ended with me reversing the car and people stared at me as though I had brought a chicken with H5N1.

Oh, and I broke the toilet handle at a restaurant where I ate a spaghetti bolognaise which in turn burned my tongue.

Bad luck struck me like a porcupine skewering a hapless lizard that fell onto its deadly spikes. It was that bad. You see, while I may not believe in the study of numbers that should govern my life or that feng shui can predict whether or not my future wife would be a homicidal maniac with a penknife, that day left me pondering over the article’s—I say this with a straight face—“power”. Did I unleash the terror simply by glossing over the words? Or was this the Big Guy’s way of compounding my wretched week? Whatever it was, it worked.

But you know what? Those incidents were a wake up call to me to stop being all depressed and crappy. By the time I complete this post, I should have already sent more than a dozen or so applications. I shall carpe diem!

Until the next depression that is.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: * I don’t about you guys, but I can’t spell IKEA as Ikea. I feel…odd.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the sun and the moon "conflating with the sun under its iniquitous bosom" is not exactly what I had in mind when I read "were balls and aligned so they would..". LOL! Yes, Mr. Freud, psychoanalyse me, but it aint penis envy. Haha!

And yes, I am with you on the IKEA spelling. "Ikea" just looks.. awkward, I guess? Seems like this is another one of your quirks! Haha!

Syar said...

This is Freudian to the max. What with the balls, and the bosom and the weiners.

I gotta say though, the quality of the IKEA (all caps, all the time, no two ways about it) hot dogs have gone down since they accused them of not being Halal and revamped the entire place. Now I'm scared they were only delicious before because they were un-halal. My morality is conflicted.

Parking. In a mall. On a Sunday. In Malaysia. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. People should stay at home! All the time!

Nadia said...

Damn straight it's IKEA.

Nah, too obvious. Now, if you'd be horseback riding on your way to a dance whilst waving a gun, then yeah, I'd totally be concerned that you were...ah, how should I put this...not getting any.

I haven't seen butt massagers in IKEA. On the LRT, banyaklah...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Your first mistake lay in going to a cheap Swedish furniture store to buy hot dogs. You're supposed to eat Swedish meatballs and chase it with lingonberry jam on hot rolls. King Midas had the golden touch. We call it "The IKEA touch" where any stick of furniture from IKEA that we touch turns to a pile of crap right before our very eyes. I've given up on their merchandise. It's nice to look at, and heaven knows, I LOVE their catalogues featuring grand uncluttered rooms, but they sell an inferior product.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Applications? I didn't know that there was such a formal process to snag the gig of "Dancing Twinkie" outside the grocery store. Hmmm.

kirana said...

This post brings me back to when you said you just cant type short posts. You give a new meaning to the word "long", with no reference to ur pinky.

And yeah, IKEA should never be spelt Ikea, kind of reminds me of Ike, Kyle's adopted brother from Canada in South Park.

Check out HELLYEAH, Vinnie Paul's latest endeavour, glad to see the big man behind the kit again.

Chris said...

Marz: I went wild with the thesaurus. I looked up penis envy and found out the true meaning behind it. And I always thought it was us men and our, um, jealous tendencies over our, um, man-ness. Damn you Freud!

Syar: The funny thing is that when I leave it's always calm, the chaos of trying to find a parking spot becomes a breeze. Why ah?

Nadia: The mere mention of horseback always evokes this.
Strangely, I've never been butt massaged on the LRT. Must be a new fad.

Lady Elastic: It's probably the Swedish lure that drives Malaysians mad while looking at a cabinet. And the fact that you got to roll your tongue to pronounce the names of the products makes one seem smarter.

And we don't have dancing twinkies. We do have dancing cekodoksthough. Not as glamorous but just as tasty.

Kirana: Long be my posts and my pinky. And Vinnie Paul's drumming is kind of over-rated. But will check it out.

Syar said...

Oh man, I'm craving some cekodok and teh-o right now.

It just happens like that. The parking gods like to track you as you come in, raise parking hell, then return things to order when you leave. Now, unless you can fly to IKEA and get your own helipad on the roof or something, you'll just have to deal with this.