Wednesday 21 March 2007

What’s so super about the supernatural?

I wish I had these two to help me. If only they were girls, though...


My legs were thanking me for not putting them in agony any longer. I had walked for almost 5 hours straight, with a few breaks in between. It was a humid day, my sweat drying up as fast as they came. The clock struck 12. It was midnight yet I still was not sleepy. The hotel room was black all over except for the little crack of light emanating from the bathroom. Eventually as I laid my head on the pillow or rather the cover since the insides bore a strong similarity to the consistency of air, my eyes could no longer open and sleep soon swept over me.

Cars could be heard outside as my room faced the highway and at 3 a.m. what were these people doing? I paid no more attention to the hullabaloo outside and closed my eyes. I was on my back, dreaming of nothing when something vague came into view. This was a dream that turned real. It was an apparition, female from the features I could barely make out, and it was on top of me, slowly trying to drain my vitality. My whole body was enfeebled, my arms held back by invisible hands and I was desperate to scream. I prayed to God, asking Him to help me. I yelled “Get off of me!” with all the strength I could muster but it came out in a hoarse croak. I fought for life. My life. I didn’t want to die in a cheap hotel! With this new willpower came vigour and I opened my eyes. For a split second I saw the apparition for what it was and shouted, “Go away!” I was in a cold sweat. I thanked God and reluctantly went back to sleep, exhausted and afraid.

The next night—at the same time—the apparition came back again and this time it invited its friends along to torture me. Visions of people with nooses around their necks in pallid drapes forced me to wake up before they could conjure any more sickening and terrifying things. Even then they did not stop. They still came to me in my dreams. Each time I closed my eyes they got nearer and nearer. I had no choice but to wake up and call out to my mom and sisters. After making sure that it wasn’t anything more than a Sixth Sense moment, I went back to sleep where strangely yet extremely thankful that the torment was over.

The above re-telling is true. I don’t really make it a habit of telling people that I was attacked by a ghost one night but this was the first time I actually felt something in a hotel room. Normally you hear stories about a haunted hotel and one of its rooms had a lady who killed herself after finding out her lover is actually a she, doesn’t strike me as something that should be told to patrons. Bad for business. Really, if you were to tell people that you’ve seen ghosts or experienced the paranormal, you either find yourself talking to no one or you’ll get someone saying, “I know how you feel.” Then they run away.

Now, I’m not one to disbelieve such phenomena. I just don’t feel the need to dwell on it. There are things in this world that science may never know of its origins, history and on the whole, what the hell it is. The paranormal does exist. It has to. They exist because we make them exist. Ah, I tried to sound all knowing and mystic at the same time, no?

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Have any of you guys experienced any paranormal happenings? Share them!

PPS: To marz: this happened in Singapore the last time I met you. So, my advice is, don't stay in cheap Singaporean hotels!

12 comments:

Lia said...

There's a lot that exists that we can't understand and that science can't (or at least, doesn't yet) understand.

That said, 3 am is traditionally a time at which the mind is most active. So I wouldn't worry too much about the ghosts. Unless you want to.

Swift said...

I wanna see ghost, damn it!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that sounded crap. Where I grew up, they say that is typical for men to experience such a thing. I don't know the name for it, other than the fact that if are not successful in fighting those ghosts, you cannot wake up again. Then again, that is probably folklore. I'm glad that you're all right though.

Hm.. paranormal happenings? I remember one actually. I was on a family trip with my cousins. I think I was 12 or 13 at the time. We were looking for this 'white lady' figure because we kept on hearing about it in legends that my grandparents and aunts would talk about. So one night we were going out to my mom's friend's house that is also in the mountains and all my cousins and I were pressing our noses against the window, looking for anything 'ghostly', and all of a sudden. We were annoyed because we couldn't find one in sight. We were just about to give one when a figure in white flashed suddenly in front of the side window. It was so fast. The car sped fast, and it was only me and my cousins that saw it because the adults in the car were oblivious. We turned to see it and it turned to us too.. and there was no face, from my recollection.
That's the one I can remember clearly. =P

Anonymous said...

I just looked at my comment and realized how weird the first sentence is. =/ I think I was meant to say "Holy crap, that sounded scary!" I think I wasn't fully awake when I wrote that. =P

Chris said...

Lia: The day science manages to crack the secret of paranormal activity is the day it becomes normal. Don't you think so?

Richard: Dude, you're odd and rather demented fella. You want to see a ghost? Look at Michael Jackson; there's a strong resemblance to the one I saw before.

Maria: Is it some ritual that boys have to go through in order to become men? If so, I think I sat for the exam rather late, aye?

And that sighting must've scared you. I know I would be.

Maria again: For the briefest of moments I thought, yup, she hates me. :P

It's all good though.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Go back to my October/November archives. I blogged nothing but "WOO WOO" stuff for a week straight.

I just started watching 'Supernatural' last week and I rather like it. It reminds me of X-Files before they jumped the shark and went all alien/weird conspiracy and let episodes ramble on without a determinable end. I like my WOO WOO fix wrapped up in the length of an hour with a nice conclusion.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh, and next time, do not request room #1313 on the thirteenth floor.

Anonymous said...

I don't hate you. =P Hahaha! I wouldn't have glomped you with hugs when you went to Singapore! Mwahaha! >=3

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: I agree with you on the whole X Files before it got wonky thing. Supernatural is all right; I like the monsters they have to fight.

And my mojo cat will accompany me whenever I book into room 1313. Let's see what the ghosts make out of it!

PS: I read your profile and you're a Taurus as well! Me! Too! Woo! Hoo!

Marz: :)

Syar said...

I've never had a full on experience like that, but thanks to my very Malaysian upbringing, I can scare myself silly just by thinking of something like toyols and pontianaks and langsuirs. Its like, thinking of them is summoning them, right? And I want them all to stay the hell away from me.

If my culture has left any impression on me, its all these crazy superstitions I half-fearfully believe.

Cheap Singapore hostels are ok. Its full or foreigners, and they're probably more down with lesbian love.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Supernatural played a Queensryche song last week in the werewolf episode and I was like "YEEEESSSSSS!" But then I noticed that they were playing it as the black haired brother had to shoot and kill his newfound lupine lady love. And then I was like, "NOOOOOOOO!"

I get so emotional.

Chris said...

Syar: Lesbian love...mm...

Lady Elastic: I love Supernatural's choice of songs though I think they should play more Black Sabbath material. Somehow Ozzy's warblings coupled with Iommi's godly riffs are a perfect fit.

Grey's Anatomy's songs make me depressed with anger. Grr. College rock. Grr.