Wednesday 18 April 2007

There’s far too much fish in this town!

This is crazy, I thought to myself. I was hungry and I would have killed for a nice cup of cold ice-blended coffee and a nice plate of spaghetti bolognaise. But the only thing this bloody town had was keropok lekor or fish paste thing (FPT) stalls. And there was lots of it. (I and my friends tried coming up with a more fitting name for it. We ended up calling it “things that make the roofs of our mouths hurt like a bitch.” Suffice to say, this name is too long.) Each side of the road there were FPT stalls and not one single Starbucks. Not even a CoffeeBean outlet (yikes). You know you’re a city person when you crave over-priced coffee.

The town was Cherating and I was there with my friends, Fillit and Sardine.

I’ve known Fillit for 5 years now and while this may have Elton John written all over it, we hit it off right from the get-go. I like to call him the black version of me. The brudda from anotha mutha. We’ve been through a lot together, good and bad (hello little cretin of madness!), yet till this day we remain a solid duo. Just ask our lecturers. I’m sure they will have some nice things to say about us. I’ve known Sardine for sometime now but it was a Hi! and Bye! relationship in college with the occasional, “Man, this college sucks,” talk. So it was nice to talk to her about things I wouldn’t have even thought about when we were college. At the end of the trip, I think we can call safely upgrade our status to good friends as opposed to college mates. Lizards, anyone?


The blackest coffee I’ve ever drank in my life. And that was the worst spaghetti I’ve ever had in my life.

Given that we’re true blue city slickers, it really showed wherever we went. I looked every bit like a tourist—right down to the three-quarter pants and benign smile—while the other two were more or less touristy-looking. Since we abandoned our humility back in KL, we went about town like we were rock stars. Everywhere we went people would give us funny looks, not sure as to how to treat us. We spoke impeccable English (well, just me, tee hee!) but when I and Fillit opened our mouths to speak in Malay, the locals would speak to us nicer.

I’m not really a beach-lovin’ person on account of me being slightly phobic about water. But put me at the foot of a really tall mountain and give me a tiny flask of water and off I’ll go to the peak. The scenery at Cherating, however, was simply majestic. Blue water could be seen for miles while the sand was fine and soft to walk on. The only thing that tarnished the experience was the amount of litter strewn everywhere. Empty cigarette packets and even a discarded slipper were seen. People can be so fucking stupid.

If only all mornings could look like this.

At night, looking up to the stars whilst getting bitten, scratched, and prodded by various insects was quite an enjoyable experience. Stargazing, seemingly a rather frivolous and neck-hurting affair, can be very compelling, soothing even. In our case, we literally talked about everything under the moon. While we couldn’t see each other's face, you could feel our respective feelings. Whenever we saw a shooting star we would make a wish, praying, hoping, that our wishes may come true. I don’t know about the other two but I really did make wishes. What you want in life and when you can’t get it will always drive you nuts. Sometimes even paranoid. But if you’re patient enough, who knows, you might just have your wish realised.

While the other two used this trip to get away from work and all its shittiness, my reasons were purely to have fun and be away from my computer, books and my other comforts. You could say that I wanted to reboot my mind. I did just that, and boy do I feel so much better now. So, to my best bud Fillit and Sardine, it was one of the most relaxing outings of mine and here’s to the next trip.

Let’s just lay off the fish, shall we?

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: There’s no tmas in Chris!

PPS: My heart goes out to those who lost their lives in the Virginia Tech incident. R.I.P

8 comments:

Lia said...

I LOVE that beach picture. But you knew I would.

qvqvc: It means something, but I can't remember what.

Chris said...

If only it was taken with a proper camera, like a DSLR, then it would look amazing. But as it is, it's still pretty-looking, aye?

Syar said...

Last post also titled about fish. Did you realize. And now I want some keropok lekor and some teh-o. Quite the banana ah you? ;-)

Anonymous said...

wei! dun la so direct sounding me! on ur blog samo. haha. ppl are READING this post u round-bottomed pie face! anyway, for the exception of sardines in spaghetti, i like sardines :D as allergic i am to them. Guess its good for me that u dont like it eh? :D peace out brudda! till the next vacation!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, that beach photo is lovely. =) I wish it was bigger, though. Then again, if it were any bigger, I would probably literally be in the photo. Gotta love Asian sunrises.

"PS: There’s no tmas in Chris!"
Best. Quote. From you. =) Loved it!

PS. You have DAUGHTRY in your playlist? AWESOME! =D I'm actually glad he got the boot last season. The American Idol music company would have castrated his music; I'm glad he made his own name for himself. =P

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Was that Timothy Leary who said, "What a long strange trip it's been?" It sounds like you were on one of those!

I like how you talk about stargazing and Starbucks in the same post. Why not combine the two and admit that you were stargazing into the night air for the tantalizing neon Starbucks sign to appear to you as though from the heavens?

Chris said...

Syar: Of course I knew it. I've been assaulted by fish references for the past month or so. And I'm banana with a good taste. (That didn't really sound as good as I thought.)

Fillit: I have no idea what you are yammering about, man. :p

Marz: I've a bigger pic but the quality isn't the best.

The Daughtry album, while thoroughly commercial-sounding, is a pretty good slab of rock. Pity what happened (or didn't happened) to Taylor Hicks.

Lady Elastic: I think if I saw a Starbucks star appearing all of a sudden while I gazed into the unknown I would be freaked out.

But only for a bit. I'll probably order a banana frap.

kirana said...

Cherating rawks! Although I would say they have way better lekors in Kemaman though (20mins from Cherating).

You're making me hungry, and I'm in the middle of a work-a-thon here chris, so thanks.