Saturday 12 July 2008

Nothing screams busy like being on Facebook

I have a love/hate (mostly love) relationship with Facebook. It’s the most time-wasting thing yet I can’t seem to stop myself from logging onto it. During weekdays especially, since work isn't as exciting as it used to be and pretending to do it isn't something I'd like to do on a regular basis.

It's a great place to keep in touch with your friends, family and foes. I know more about a certain colleague of mine by reading his Facebook profile than by actually having face-to-face conversations. Frankly, I'd rather have it that way since he's a rotten bastard. And a bloody unprofessional git.

Back in the day, I had Friendster, which was the rage in college and trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with my life. Me and my friends would "compete" with each other to see how many "friends" we could have. So that meant adding real friends, complete strangers, random girls with fake eyebrows, and other creatures with an account. I managed to accumulate a fair number of "friends," more than half of which I don't keep in touch with anymore but would like to.

As of now, my Facebook account only has people that I personally have either:
  1. Been related to and still (unfortunately) are;
  2. Met and have maintained a sort of 'Hey, don't I know you?' relationship;
  3. Met in college;
  4. Worked with;
  5. Stalked.
I'm glad that I can say that I got into Facebook way before its Big Bang. At that time I only had one friend; the friend who invited me to join it. And she was my only friend. For a year. Now I have close to 115 people in my list. A good majority of them are people I still say Hi to at least 3 times a week (except on weekends).

If you'll excuse me, I have to pretend I'm busy.

Again.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Thank you, id, for introducing Facebook to me.

8 comments:

Liza said...

Facebook has to be one of the most idiotiqe thing man has ever made. Why don't just call your friends?

Will never get facebook!

Hails

Anonymous said...

And that only friend for that one year is the same friend who de-activated her account out of personal reasons and the need to concentrate on her dissertation. But now she is done with her dissertation but, for some reason, is loving her Facebook-less life. She hopes to return one day to it, and re-join the chain of addiction that comes with it, as you have stated.

What I'm trying to say is.. you're welcome, Christo. =P

Chris said...

Erüvé: Hello! And welcome to Whacker Inc. You know, I'd much rather meet people but in my case, my friends have crazy schedules, so meeting up in real life can be quite difficult to plan. I must admit, Facebook helps me to keep in touch with them.

And I don't call my friends. :P

Hails! Metal from Sweden rules!

id: At first I thought, weird, where is she? Then I figured it out after like a month that you disabled or ended your account. I still have some of your comments in my page. :)

When you come back, give me a holler, yea!

Anonymous said...

I guarantee that you'll be among the first to know if I do return to Facebook! =D

Lia said...

I have so far resisted the lure of Facebook, and I'm planning to keep it that way. An exercise in willpower, so to speak.

Chris said...

id: I'm still waiting for that day. :)

Lia: It's all about choice. And you've made yours. As for me, I need to check on my friends. :P

Anonymous said...

Christo, guess what happened today? I re-activated Facebook.

For thirty minutes.
(I'm de-activated again.)

I was going through my wall and the applications that I had there, and I realised that I really liked life without it all those months. The only reason why I returned to Facebook ever so briefly was learning that my school finally has a network page of its own.. AFTER I graduated and just when they're gonna remove the networking page for good.

But I may be on it again for about a week or something. I need to plan a get-together for college friends for my birthday and that's the only place I can reach them.

Consider it a gradual and slow assimilation.. from Facebook-phobia! Har, har!

I'm returning back slowly. And by slowly it could make a turtle look like Flash the superhero. I thought you should be among the first to know. Not only because I gave you my word.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I changed my mind.

I'm back.

And I think I was inspired by this post. =P