Friday 11 April 2008

They’re out there. Somewhere. Hopefully not there.


Space Kitty will invade your world!!!

George Lucas must’ve been an odd little fella growing up. And I don’t mean his goitre. Was he a typical geek who would be in a world of his own during class? Did he make all the noises of a Deathstar destroying a planet? Actually, who cares? I certainly don't!

Ever wondered what lies beyond the stars? Are we alone in this cosmic universe or is there an invisible spacecraft encircling the Earth as we eat our roti canai? (Something like a tortilla, only tastier. And a lot more fattening.) What if we are attacked by aliens seeking to destroy Earth because it’s in their way and that they want to build an intergalactic highway like in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy? Do they have huge bulging black eyes, a slit for a mouth and when they speak, they do it directly to your brain? Are they humanoid and share the same look as us but are much smarter than that average know-it-all you’ve always wanted to push down a flight of stairs? Or do they resemble Jeri Ryan from Star Trek: Voyager? (I so wish that.)

I wasn’t one of those kids who grew up wishing he were an astronaut or a space traveller of sorts. I’m not sure why, I mean, I grew up watching Star Wars, Star Trek, and many other space-themed shows (Mork and Mindy bored me to tears). Heck, I was even the youngest member of the local chapter of Geeks United Star Trek before it sadly got decommissioned. Yet, I never developed a strong fascination for it. I was more into fantasy (and still very much am): knights in shining armour, princesses with big bosoms (ahhh), wizards with grey beards who spoke in riddles and in cryptic tones, smarmy dragons with jewellery fetishism, and liberal doses of magick to save the day. It’s no wonder why I quite fancy women with pointy ears (damn elves, why do they have to be so sexy?).

Movies like Independence Day (Jeff Goldblum once again rocks as the intelligent and witty geek who helps to save the world from aliens nowhere smart as he) and Signs (the buildup was immense, the ending a total shitfest), whilst highly entertaining, merely perpetrate the notion that, if aliens were to launch an all-out assault in the hopes in of annihilating the human race, we would be able to defeat them with the power of our imbecility and ignorance. Look, they travelled all the way here from God knows where, therefore I think their technology is definitely better than Intel’s. Sometimes hope won’t save the world, you know!

To me, there’s definitely something more to the stars, planets and the Milky Way. We can’t be the only “intelligent” (for want of a better, more appropriate word) beings. Do aliens have religion? Do they have their own pontiffs? Do they have currency? Do they have Alien Idol? Do they *GASP!* have intercourse? These are questions with no straightforward (heck, I think there are even crooked ones) answers or at least ones that won’t be discovered at least in my lifetime.

Is the cosmic universe governed by aliens in fancy dresses? As long as it’s not sequin.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I do not doubt the existence of life outside our world I just doubt them aliens are prettier than us. An alien equivalent to Angelina Jolie with two extra eyes and arms and legs? Yikes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, when it comes to contemplating about how creatures from beyond the Earth (and galaxy) look like, I tend to think: if they have eyes, then do they share the same visual advantages we do? Do they need eyes? Same goes with other body parts? (Do they need genitals?! LOL, yeah..)

While I enjoyed "Hitchhikers.." and had a brief ambition to be an astronaut (until my mom mentioned something about learning physics then I recoiled in horror!), I also enjoyed Star Trek but not enough to be obsessed. (Admittedly, I had a crush on Data. HAHA! Shush. =P)
But like you I preferred the world of fantasy. (Save for the princes with big knockers. Or princes with big knockers.. but princes with big.. err, swords appealed to me. *innocent eyes*) Terry Goodkind was a favourite.

Then I was shown the world of Neil Gaiman, and the rest is history. LOL!

PS. Love your photo choice! LOL!

Lia said...

I'm also more a fantasy fan, although there are some space operas that are pretty interesting (read: Catherine Asaro). But that's probably technically fantasy too. HGTG I enjoyed for the humor, not the aliens.
I could get into a philosophical discussion on the likelihood of the existence of aliens, but I won't. But if they are out there, they might find Angelina ugly. Although it would be interesting to find out if, as some psychologists postulate, there really are objective standards of beauty.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've never been into space-themed stuff either.

Well, except for Mel Brooks classic, Spaceballs.

Chris said...

id: You like pasty-skinned, semi-human men? Yikes! I've yet to read a Terry Goodkind novel because I'm too preoccupied with the other Terry.

Gaiman 4eva! Urm...

Lia: A Klingon version of Angelina Jolie scares the bejuices outta me.

Lady Elastic: I haven't Spaceballs. I must rectify that!