Saturday 3 November 2007

You might as well tie a dead raccoon around your neck

By the time most of you read this, I would have entered the second month of my third job. And boy does it feel good. This is going to make me sound like a broken down recorder but I like my job, team and office so damn much. I’m literally the baby of the team, with the second youngest merely 5 years older than me.

The place where I work is the best. Nah. Others think that but I don’t. Everyone thinks it’s an exclusive place to work. Sure, my office is on the 63rd floor (if you fellas wanna know how high that is, just look up the sky, chances are you still won’t see my smiling face looking down at you an…people.) The Petronas Twin Towers, or more commonly known amongst Malaysians, Them Bloody Tall Tall Buildings, towers many other, um, tall buildings. It’s like Michael Jordan and a bloody hobbit standing side by side ‘cept that one slam dunks with his tongue wagging while the other doesn’t seem to wag tongues.

Guess what. I committed my first real and potentially catastrophic snafu! Thankfully, my boss came over to my station and explained to me the proper way of doing things. Midway through his explanation, he started to laugh, saying that maybe they should’ve provided additional information in order to complete the job. I nodded my head, trying my best not to laugh. I would have laughed for one simple reason:

I honestly don’t know much, but here I am, almost causing the entire system of a client to go bust! All I did was clean up the list of clients of ours and updated certain details. It goes to show that technology—while in so many ways is a blessing of sorts—can also be a curse. One minute everything is working dandy and gay but the next, it can prove to be the last thing you do. Furthermore, the big boss from UK was in a generous mood (odd, because the previous day he was practically livid with rage) and told my boss that maybe we should have given the (rather dim) fellow clearer instructions.

And this brings us nicely (oh dear lord, thank you) to the blog’s title. Having a lanyard wrapped around your neck like a really skinny python is one of the most annoying things any working person has to wear. It gets in the way, like for instance, when you want to pee. Since (most) men pee at the urinals, you have to juggle between your ahem and the dangling noose, assuming you’re not wearing a shirt with a pocket. It’s a symbol where a small percentage of the working community think that just by wearing it makes them superior. The thicker the lanyard, the more stuck up some people are.

What is it that makes people so proud to wear what is basically a string tied around one’s neck? It’s nothing but a form of advertisement. It’s like when a male peacock sees another male, he immediately becomes a competitor. The same goes with me. There’s another IT consulting firm, perched only 2 floors higher than my office. The minute I see one of their employees, I right away stand to attention and try to look as hoity as possible. I lose always since the competitors are usually more conceited and have better eyelashes than I do.

What else can I say? I think I’ll wear my lanyard. I look rather spiffy.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: For some strange reason, I find dangling my lanyard at the side of my leg is pretty cool.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you condemn me if I told you that I had to look up the word 'lanyard'? The whole time I thought it was 'the necklace thingymabobber that holds your ID'.
Man, you work at the Petronas Towers? Hm.. I would have got the same impression others have had just because you work at those towers. And 63rd floor? What the..?!! *acrophobic self widens eyes*

Sorry to hear about that little moment there at work, but hey, charge it to experience. We all learn. =) Well, not all people learn, but in theory, we're supposed to. =P But you did, which means you're one of the fortunate ones. =P

"I lose always since the competitors are usually more conceited and have better eyelashes than I do." This line made me laugh out loud.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My advice? Don't buy your lanyards too long or you'll soak them during your visit to Ye Gay Olde Urinals.

Ahhhh, young Chris....Working for THE MAN!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My Papi graduates next month!!! I googled his name and the first thing to pop up is the dean's list because he's Cum Laude. Papi didn't even know it either. I told him that I saw him on the Internet and said, "Wow, you Cum Loud!!"

He appreciated that. He really did.

Now after years of manual labor he's getting flown out to Michigan next week for an interview and to Dallas after that for another one.....My Papi's got it made now....and he has a beautiful and funny wife too. Lucky Papi.

Lia said...

Get a clip for your ID; much more convenient than a lanyard.

I'm so happy for you that you're enjoying your job. I always like to tell the story about the guy who messed up a million-dollar deal early on in his job. He goes to the boss and says, "Please don't fire me. I promise I'll do better next time. Blah blah grovel grovel." And the boss says, "Why would I fire you? I just spent a million dollars training you."
That story always makes me feel better when I do something stupid.

Syar said...

Hmm, maybe this obsession with the lanyard is just an extension of 'mine is bigger than yours' syndrome. Sounds like it.

It's cool that you're still a working stiff. And enjoying it too! Keep on keeping it on.

Chris said...

Marz: I try not to brag. But gosh darn it's so difficult!

Lady Elastic: Papi sounds like one great guy. Kudos and congratulations to him. Hope he doesn't respond to Cum Loud.

Lia: I think I will get a clip. When I bend down to swipe my card, it looks as though I'm feeding a crocodile or something.

And your story rocks. I will use it!

Syar: It does, doesn't it? I was in the train and this girl had 3, yes, count 'em, 3 lanyards around her neck!