Sunday 11 November 2007

C’mon, motivate me. I dare you.

You have the right to be rich!

How I made a million in my pyjamas, and so can you!

I used to plough the fields before dawn but now I’m skyrocketing up the stock market!

This reminds of the time when I went to a camp organised by the prefects’ board when I was a not-too-long-ago youth. As a senior prefect, I was required to oversee certain aspects of the camp, from safeguarding the well-being of my juniors to supervising the many activities that were to be carried out.

I didn’t.

This was my first and last camp (I was never much a camper) and I’ll be damned if I didn’t join in the fun! As with all school organised camps, this had We’re gonna motivate your ass right now! Yee haw! written all over it. Other “rousing” war cries included such gems:

  • Inspiring you and your future! And there’s nothing you can do to stop us!
  • You’re a champion! The rest are bottom feeders!
  • You’re better than that boy who fell into the sea wearing only his underwear!

It was propaganda. I would nod my head each time my teacher/motivational coach/football coach/shameless glutton said something that needed nodding. It wasn’t that I was rude or didn’t appreciate his talk; I just wanted to have fun, fun and FUN! Let’s cut the chatter and go to the beach to play some beach games. I reckon that’s more motivational. I also didn’t want to be told that in order to serve my school I had to blah yadda blah yadda blah…snore. I’m done with that kind of pointless pep talk and superfluous rah-rah. But the younger ones, oh my, they loved it. They lapped it all up like a cat taking to a saucer of fresh milk. Of course, to be fair, the said teacher/motivational coach/football coach/shameless glutton had the charisma to charm these wide-eyed dolts as well as motivating the bloody punks.

I don’t know about you, but motivational gobbledygook doesn’t work on me. If there was ever a pill for motivating people, I’d be allergic to it. Severely. The thing that irks me the most is how these motivational speakers tend to alter their tone of voice to that of a person explaining the intricacies of flushing a toilet while subscribing to the belief that if I can do it in my underwear, so can you! The only person that can truly motivate me is, naturally, me. More often than not, it is my constant vomit of words of encouragement that gets me going. If I feel tired after a jog, I’d look around to find a languid-looking person and say, “No way, man. I’m going to do another lap.”

Using people’s shortcomings to bolster your waning optimism can be very invigorating.

I used to be of the opinion that self-help books are books written for people who should know better. It’s all done in a didactic manner, no matter the style of writing, be it for gardening to buying the kitchen sink. People like Dr. Phil and other hack jobs are making millions from telling people what to do. If I had known, I wouldn’t have taken up IT and gone straight to marketing.

Bullshitting is so much easier than programming.

Of course, the times have change and I have altered slightly my opinion on self-help material. I draw the line at getting those “Let’s go and make money in our undies!” or “Why loving me is more beneficial than loving yourself,” type of books. Now, if you’ll excuse, I’m off to read How to be best Chinaman do Business Stuffs.

Trust me, it’s really good.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Question:- Have you been—truly and wholly—motivated after attending some form of motivational camp or read book telling yourself that “You’re number 1!”?

PPS: Do look out for my next post as I’ll spill the beans (literally) on what transpired during my company’s GASPY! GASP! teambuilding thingy.

4 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I listen to a money advice guy on talk radio in my truck....he gets me all fired up to live on rice and beans and buy generic brand toilet paper. Well, at least until I get home.

Lia said...

Someone once bought me a book on self-esteem (and no, I wasn't insulted, because she is a sweet old lady and I know she didn't mean it as a subtle hint), and while it was pleasant enough, no, it didn't really motivate me to go out and change myself. But then, I'm already perfect.

Seriously, though, there are motivational things that do work on me, yes. Especially if they come with practical advice, like "stop surfing the internet and get back to writing your novel!"

Anonymous said...

My relatives would give me those 'chicken soup' books or those 'improve yourself' books long after I stopped collecting those (Yes, I was a victim of such 'propaganda'.) and all the more when I moved to Singapore. I assume it's their way of not knowing what to get me for Christmas. =P Hahaha!

However, at the end of the day, it is you who motivates yourself as you said. After all, when things go all right or all wrong, we won't be blaming anyone else but us. Not Dr. Phil, but us. I prefer to tell myself what to do. =P

I do not remember the last time I was all "Hey.. yeah!" when I saw a pamphlet that said "You're number 1". I did, however, almost get fooled by an anti-Catholic trying to get me into their church when they were showering me with compliments and wanting to be around my company. When I said no.. oh man.. the insults! The instances of saying I'll be going to hell. =P Yeah.. propaganda. All of it. =P

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: That's what I normally do when certain colleagues come up to me. I wish I had toilet paper, though. Then I can stuff it into their mouths!

Lia: "But then, I'm already perfect." A moment of vanity from you, mayhap? ;)

Marz: This reminds me of the time when a lady came up to and she was holding a colourful pamphlet. She asked, "Are you a Christian?" I said no. And just as she was about to leave, I said to her, "Actually, I'm an atheist."

I've never seen a woman storm off so quickly in my life. 'Cept, of course, this one time involving me and a girl I was stalking...