Thursday 10 May 2007

Silence of the Clams*

* = I know, bad, bad title.

You know the saying, “Silence is golden?” It’s a farce. More often than not, silence can be the most uncomfortable thing in the world. Take for example, these situations:

Lavatory (I love saying this word, it makes me sound posh and rather lumberjack-ish, all at the same time.)

Guys pee side-by-side. We all know that. But what happens when you have to pee next to your boss who’s urinal is only a mere centimetres away? I remember during my days of sitting in a room the size of a—ironically—toilet cubicle, I made it compulsory to get up once every half-hour or so and wash my face with cold water in an effort to stay awake. (Mostly I did it to get away from the annoying colleague of mine who was terribly dreadful to work with.) One day, after clearing a batch of the day’s workload, I went off to the loo for my customary face-drenching, some pushups to keep the bones all fresh, discharging of the wastes, when in comes my big boss, and I mean, the big boss with his suit and tie and thick blazer, discharging his own wastes. Me and him. Him and me, peeing. At the same time. Side by side. I turn my head slightly, his head does the same, and we exchange the briefest of nods and cracked the smallest smile ever known to humanity. It lasted no more than 30-seconds but, by golly, was it awkward as heck.

Elevators/Escalators

When there are a number of people on the escalator, it can make for some truly awkward moments. If the person in front of you is of considerable height, you may be staring straight at their lovely (most of the time, not lovely) derriere. Malaysian escalators are about as fast as making a tiramisu without the tira and misu. They’re agonisingly slow. So slow, in fact, that sometimes I forsake my vow of never climbing the steps just to get it over with quickly. And I particularly hate it when couples, especially the ones who looked like they only got together the day before hence the big silly grins on their faces start cuddling each other (their hands oddly straying down south from time to time), stroke each other’s hair as though it was some ritual to delouse themselves and not wanting to let each other’s hand go even when they’re about to disembark the escalator. And I’m just one rung down on the escalator, which gives me full coverage of all the sordidness. If you think that’s bad enough, then you haven’t experienced amorous displays in an elevator before.

Taxis

Taxi drivers can sometimes be the most entertaining people in the world. And they can also be the most annoying people in the world, too. I’ve had my fair share of drivers and their asking me one too many personal questions and why can’t I speak my mother tongue. But when you get into a taxi these days you’ll say the destination, swap head nods signalling yes, I’ll take you there. No chitchat. If the radio is on the driver will most likely leave it at a channel which sucks.

What about you? Are you just as whacko as I am or do you have no problems in the above areas?

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I don’t know why, but I feel like eating clams.

8 comments:

Lia said...

I can think of other awkward examples, but actually, silence in those situations would be nice.

Lavatory: People in the ladies' room go into separate stalls and continue conversing while taking care of their needs - I don't like that kind of background noise to my conversation.

Elevators: People stand on opposite sides of a packed elevator and continue a personal conversation over everyone's heads. I just don't want that level of detail. Somehow escalators don't bother me so much.

Taxis: Yeah, with you there.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I don't like silence at all. I need continuous chaotic noise to cover my farts.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

And thinking a little bit more, you know what? I can only tolerate silence with people I'm comfortable with. Strangers or awkward situations lend me to ramble on endlessly trying to fill dead air. I can converse about the most inane subjects, too, like cushioned toilet seats opposed to hard plastic ones. The more unresponsive the other person is, the more I'll compulsively drone on. I should have been a DJ.

Syar said...

I generally don't like talking to people who I barely know so I stop at a smile and a nod, wherever we happen to bump into each other. I'm perfectly fine with silence, but I always worry the other person is expecting me to talk (like a cab driver) and I'm letting them down in some way. Because of this I sometimes ramble or attempt forced conversations with unwilling people, giving the impression that I'm a rambler who can't stand a little quiet when really I just want myself to shut up and lay back in the silence but also want to please people that just want to be left alone.

I just psychoanalyzed myself. Phew, what a load off.

Mawar said...

silence is alright for me. better than having an awkward and embarassing conversation!

but i dont have that trouble at escalators. maybe because im one of those couples u talked abt. LOL

Chris said...

This is from Marz:

I feel terrible for writing a comment on your May 10th post on a archived blog entry. =/ I wasn't able to access the comments on your recent post, and if you want to delete this because the comment is out of place, I understand. =/

Lavatories: You guys pee side by side? I thought it was side by side with like a urinal between you guys? I don't really understand male bathroom etiquette (I guess it's because for us girls we have a wall between cubicles), but wow, that is indeed awkward. =/

Escalators: I don't think I really observed it that much, considering I don't really pay attention here. =/

Taxis: Yes, I agree they can be the most annoying people as well as the most entertaining. I also can't stand the cabbies that smell like they ate durian and chilli crab the entire day. =P

Btw, your postscript totally had me cracking up there. Clams?! Haha! =P Yeah, potty head. Sorry! =P

Chris said...

Lia: Some guys do that thing in the lavatory. But being guys, it's all right. I guess...

Lady Elastic 1: I knew you'd come up with that. ;)

Lady Elastic 2: My mom is like that, too. I'm selective: I don't want to waste my breath on zombies. And I think Howard Stern would have tremendous competition with you around.

Syar: Well, I hope that was a big load off and that you felt better.

M: Tsk, tsk. :p

Marz: I'm a comment whore, so, here's your comment! Anyway, there's one with urinals and there's one that's open, with no partition whatsoever. But when you gotta go, you gotta go...

Anonymous said...

Oh, totally random thing, but you were in my dream last night. It was a weird weird dream. Like one of those acid-trippy quality ones! Haha! =)