Wednesday 23 May 2007

Guess what, you’re obsolete


Quick! My arm hurts!


Back in the 90’s, the big thing that was happening was the advent of the personal computer. As a not-quite-precocious child, the computer was something alien, a box that displayed a myriad of colours and most importantly, I can play games on it! It helped office people become lazier still by punching in keys as opposed to writing them on paper then cursing your bad luck because you spelt Happy as “Hippy”. The first computer my dad bought was a speedy 100MHz PC from then technology giant, IBM. I remember installing games like Duke Nukem 3D (“Shake it baby!”) and the most influential game of all-time, Quake. It wasn’t a learning tool, no sirree, there was nothing educational in it. It was a mean, gaming machine.

Do you remember when mobile phones used to be of the military-like variant, with its antenna as long as your arm and the whole caboodle weighed more than your two-year-old brother? Now go back and try to remember the days of pay-phones. Ah, yes, I can you see trying to quash that memory out of your mind. I used to carry with me pocketfuls of coins whenever I went out which led many to believe I had elephantiasis. Half the time the bloody phones have their receivers missing and when you do find one it says, “Out of Order.”

Gosh, I so don’t miss those days.

As we march forwards into the indefinite future armed only with our wits and a clean pair of socks, the world that we used to know is slowly but surely getting a makeover. Everywhere you go you’ll see a giant screen that flashes radiant colours advocating the benefits of using Colgate’s teeth whitener. Before this all you got was a drab-looking lady with white teeth on a billboard. All you needed when you’re about to embark on a journey was just your keys and a sense of direction. Now you’ve got satellites guiding you all the way through with a voice that resembles a sultry old maid (if I had one, I’d go for the German man, he’s wunderbar). The humble camera, once the domain of serious professionals in jackets with a million compartments, can now be seen wielded by an able person with just a push of a button. Things that used to take ages in some red room with various viscous liquids labelled “Dangerous” can now be done in seconds. And let’s not forget the times when you had to hold your smile while your dad set the timer and by the time he gets in frame, the camera would have gone off. Another roll of film wasted. Ah, the wonders of the “Delete” button.

Now we have refrigerators that tell us if you’re about to run out of low-fat yoghurt, wristwatches that can tell you where you in the world, even now as we breathe and eat our food we have. Not long now there’ll be digital books. Now, this is something I’m not too keen on. I grew up reading books that have been dog-eared, turned a shade of brown much like mushrooms, and had the name of the owner in illegible handwriting. If the future of reading lies in the digital world then it’s not a future I’d very much like to be a part of. There’s nothing like reading a real book. A real book that has pages that you can flip to create wind on a hot day. A real book that you can read in the train on the way to work and have people craning to see the title.

I love technology, make no mistake about that. Progress is good. But there comes a time when a cold box is nothing compared to a warm voice.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: There are some things I love about technology, like, for instance, the ability to write and publish my thoughts and on top of that actually have an audience, albeit a tiny one. Here's to World Domination!

10 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Technological advances means I don't have to strap a record player to my belt loop when I go exercise. I loooovvveee my itty bitty iPOD shuffle!

Technological advances means my radio is broadcast commercial free by satellites instead of by local radio waves and idiot DJ's blathering on about stupid reality TV and playing Coldplay and Gwen Stefani all frickin day.

Technological advances means I can investigate my neighbor and his possible criminal past in the comfort of my very own home. I can also see how much his house is worth.

Like Kip sang in Napoleon Dynamite........."I love technology."

kirana said...

Technology should not be applied to literary materials, i.e. books, like you said.

Technology should also never apply to religion. I mean, spreading the word of God is one thing, but online prayers in the future? There's no way the big man would approve of that.

I am interested to see how technology would think of evolutionising cigarettes though. Not much has changed in the world of "death sticks" for the past few centuries now, has it?

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: It is official: I really, really hate Gwen Stefani. A quick question: What would you do if your neighbour does indeed have a criminal past?

Kirana: I shudder at the thought of online evangelical activities. It'll make things a lot colder...

And I really like your cigarette idea. Our Tak Nak campaign is a sorry excuse excuse for a, um, campaign.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I guess that would give me the opportunity to break out the bales of barbed wire and searchlights i got on sale at Home Depot, and turn this humble home into a fearsome and mighty fortress!

Or I'll spin giant cocoons to stuff my kids into for protection. I just can't decide the best course of action.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Wind It Up and Sweet Escape are two of the worst songs in the history of worst songs. What happened to incredible music like Hallagood and Just A Girl? Maybe she needs to beg No Doubt to give her a hand on future material.

Anonymous said...

Duke Nukem! Holy crap! That's exactly the first think I thought of: "Shake it baby!" Haha! When my family got our first computer (which was second hand and had a total of 16 colours, I think), the only games were Digger, Frogger, some space game (that I was good at) and Chess. Ick.

"There’s nothing like reading a real book. A real book that has pages that you can flip to create wind on a hot day." I actually agree with this. I can't bring myself to get into the hype of an audio book. There is something so beautiful about the tangibility of pages that cannot be replaced with an alternative experience of 'reading'.
I love your last sentence (before your post-script), by the way. Well put! =)

PS. For the nth time, twas great seeing you again. =)

Lia said...

Luckily, you can set your GPS to any gender and nationality, so that you can have whoever you want talk to you. Some models even have celebrity voices pre-programmed.

And the e-book thing is with us, alive and well. Nothing quite replaces curling up with a real book, but it is convinient to be able to carry a half dozen or so books on my blackberry for emergencies.

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: Hmm. Maybe teaching your children to aim at the family jewels if and when a perp tries to hurt them would be a nice activity on a Sunday afternoon.

Right now, all Ms. Stefani is doing is auditory torture. No mercy shall be given to her if she chooses to butcher yet another classic ie Sound of Music. She and her wretched ilk (Fergie, Nelly Retardo, etc) have to stopped!

Marz: By the way, for your information, it took me less than half an hour to walk from Bugis Junction back to my hotel. iPOD + good shoes = Best way back to hotel. :)

Lia: e-books will take forever to get here, if they even surface here in the first place. It's bad enough that books cost a bomb here, the thought of buying e-books is scarier.

PS: I'd love a Simon Cowell GPS voice.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

What??!!? I traveled all the way back here and you got nothing fresh going on? What say you about Gwen touring with Akon who's practically been exposed as a child molester by gyrating and cavorting with a 15 year old onstage? And Nelly Furtado has a wretched voice, I just don't get her popularity at all. A friend of mine said, "Yeah, she used to be Like A Bird, but now she's like a slut." That had me laughing out loud, Chirs. Yes, LOL, in fact, it made me LMAO!

Lia said...

Don't you people have libraries in Malaysia?