Tuesday 13 February 2007

Sales Schwing

Sales.

The mere mention of the word gives you a very clear picture of what to expect. There’s no hidden message behind it. It’s just a sell-and-buy cycle, which in itself is so simple yet so freaking difficult to master. People in sales are incredibly egoistic, have haughty-looks Victorian aristocrats would be proud of, always on the lookout for a sucker and in dominion of the most sickening attribute of all: self-assurance of the highest order second only to perfidious politicians. (Politicians are essentially salespeople, only with an entourage the size any popstar would be the envy of.) They are eager and aggressive in getting an answer. Nothing short of an outright no will put them off. Even then they’ll lay low for awhile and bam! they’re at it again and even then…argh!

In short, salespeople are one of the most important people in any society. In fact, make that every society.

You know that shirt you’ve always wanted? Sure it was marketing that puts out the advertisement or the brochures or whatnots but who sells it to you? Not the GM, he’s too busy getting his toes trimmed by a buxom blonde named Tawnee. It’s the salesperson that explains, no, tells you that you need it. You think for a minute that hey, I do need it. Then when you get back you realise that you’ve not only bought the wrong size shirt, it’s in a colour and pattern even Stevie Wonder would tell you it’s hideous.

I would say I’m a fairly good presenter. I pepper my explanations with inane anecdotes together with a benevolent face and manner. I do not subscribe to the dogma of being serious all the time. But picking up the phone, and calling up people who wouldn’t even give a second to talk to a junior salespunk like me takes some serious balls.

I’m pretty much the world’s lousiest salesman at the moment. I can’t grasp the seemingly uncomplicated concept of manipulating a potential client nor do I possess the guile essential to trick someone into buying my product even though he or she may not have a need for it. When I was in training (thanks for the lunches) I was taught to lie, cheat, deceive and my absolute favourite, manipulate any situation to gain any advantage. A profit doesn’t have to be right or wrong, as long as it brings in the dough.

Honestly, I don’t think I will last long in this industry. I’ll go my own distance just to see how far I can go before my eventual fall. I’m a simple guy with a very simple philosophy: I’ll buy whatever the hell I want, when I want it and you’re not going to persuade me otherwise. Sure, you can make suggestions. Feel free to do so. Go ahead. But if you so much as even have the audacity to speak your mind and tell me that my choice is not good and that yours is better, then better get ready to run as fast and far as your puny legs can take you.

You can call me a quitter. A non-achiever who throws in the towel, handkerchief, and silk shirt when things get a little too hot to handle. At least I can say that I’ve tried, given it a shot, did my best, oh you didn’t live up to our expectations, oh really? walk away with my head held high and get the pay I’m due.

People always say that practise makes perfect. But sometimes even with all the best preparations in the world from the best in the business doesn’t mean shit if you don’t like it one bit.

I really don’t.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: If the above ramblings seem exaggerated or ludicrous then maybe it is. I cannot guarantee that everything that has been said as entirely truthful. But nevertheless, trust me on this. I’m still a salesguy after all.

Other blog updated. Read!

PPS: I'm now officially jobless. Again. I will never ever do sales again.

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

PPS: Due to the holidays my brain is inexplicably incapable of producing quality posts therefore I shall return next week with another Chris-worthy post. Till then, have a great week y'all!

12 comments:

Syar said...

AWWWW.

*tucks away shotgun*

Anonymous said...

Wait, no longer in sales? What? Huh? Aww! *hugs* At least you have a weekend to get things together before you look for another job! Good luck and have a great Lunar New year! =D

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm descended from a long line of car dealers and yet I lack any sales initiative or chutzpah at all. Maybe that "lean-mean-sales-gene" skips a generation?

Finding the right job is like dating in that you have to weed out the undesirable, the immature, the high maintenance, and the ruthless to find the one you want to spend the rest of your life with.

That was good. If you need me I'll be over in the corner penning my first self-help book.

Mawar said...

again? haiyo im so sorry sayang.. happy chinese new year tho :)

Lia said...

Probably a good career move. I did a summer of telemarketing, and it was not something I would ever think of going back too.

Good luck finding something you do like.

Chris said...

To all the fine ladies:

Thanks for the kind words. I hope by next week I will land myself the right job. Fingers will be crossed and hopes will be raised. I hope I don't fall on my face.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I heard "Prison Sex" by TOOL and "Like A Stone" by Audioslave the other day on my XM Radio and I thought of you. Until you're back to your employed, happy, sappy, snappy old self, I recommend abstaining from TOOL. Crap, I'd nearly forgotten how suicidally dismal they are. Go with A Perfect Circle if you really need your Maynard fix.

Syar said...

Abarat? Why must you have all the books I want? Jeebus.

And I've just noticed that all your readers are female. I wonder why that is.

Chris said...

Lady Elastic: Duly noted. I'm now listening to Jack Johnson to keep me happy.

It's not working.

Syar: It was an accident really. I bought the second book first without realising it was, in fact, the second book. Admittedly, I bought it because of the pretty cover. Silly me. And it took me nearly 4 months to track down the first and I must say that it was well worth the long wait.

It's one of my more pleasant accidents.

PS: Guys don't get me I guess. I wonder why that is. :)

Syar said...

Did you get the illustrated one? It is indeed awesome, kan? AHHH! Must get it.

Chris said...

Um, actually it's this one

It's for adults apparently. It's much like the "mature" covers for Harry Potter as well.

Now I wished I had gotten the illustrated one. :(

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I wanted to put my favorite Rage Against The Machine song on my blog but Audio Codes doesn't carry "The Renegades Of Funk." Despondent woe and unadulterated angst is me. I have to know if you're listening to Gomez yet? I'm loving their song, How We Operate Something about banjo rock really reaches my sensitive side.