Sunday 29 October 2006

Non-conformity in my inner self, only I guide my inner self!*

When I was but a wee lad, I always wanted to be like James Hetfield of Metallica. I copied the way he held his superb black ESP Explorer, stood the way he stood and tried to sound like how he sounded. I was about 15 and was steadily losing interest in all the Green Day clones and dreary rock bands (read: Creed). I was slowly being indoctrinated into a new music faith and I wanted to look the part, to be uber cool. So I had three-quarter pants and a chain that was actually a combination of a short wallet chain and one from my police cadet uniform which gave it a one of a kind look. It was ridiculous and radical. You could have chained a pit-bull with it. It screamed poseur but I didn’t care. I just wanted to look like my then idols.

I fell for the whole “wanting to fit in” stage of my teen life. I remember vividly that what I wanted whenever I saw anything on TV my dad would shoot me down with a resounding “No.” It echoed in my head, the No bouncing off the walls of my sanity. Thankfully I was shot down so frequently I just gave up in the end. Otherwise I think I would have turned out a depressed child wanting a strawberry lollipop and have an imaginary friend named Bob who likes kittens. Preferably dead.

It’s a common occurrence for parents to send their young children to one tuition centre to another, one music class to another and having them play sports whenever their little feet can. Parents are in a way, trying to compete with each other to see who can go all the way to outdo each other. Whatever happened to friendly competition?

For awhile when I was in college I used to envy my friends who had the latest things. You name it, they had it. I just couldn’t figure out where the heck they got so much money. One would have the latest mobile phone, another would be wearing a pair Dockers I always wanted (the best trousers ever), or the newest whatever. They were so cool and I was so bland that I got envious. Try as I might I couldn’t be like them. Yet again, thankfully I got so downtrodden, and so sick of all the bullshit media feeding me images of what is cool, that at last I said, fuck this, I’m going to get people to try and fit with my style.

So what does conform mean anyway? According to the dictionary, it means “to comply with accepted standards, rules or customs.” By that definition then a good percentage of the planet’s population is a conformist of some form or another. Conforming to the norm while everyone wants to go against it is like going against the tide, you’ll tire yourself quicker and you’ll eventually drown. It is an inevitable part of life. We are all guilty of conforming. By not conforming to the norm we are in reality conforming to another norm. Think about, if you’re against guys who wear pink and you choose to wear black, then I’m afraid to say that you’re part of the anti-conformity conformists of the Black Brigade. You’re either a part of the bandwagon of commonness or you’re a pedestrian that goes against traffic just to see if the cars would swerve to avoid you.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I would like to buy that pair of Nike shoes. People look cool wearing it.

* = refers to Brazilian thrash metal legends, Sepultura with their classic Inner Self.

Gute Nacht und Gutes Glück.

PS: I feel the need to apologise. I feel that I didn’t make myself as clear as I had hoped. Some parts in this post I feel that I’m slightly off tangent with regards to the topic and for that I apologise.

PPS: Since we’re on the subject of conformity, I’ve decided to *GASP!* convert Whacker Inc into *GASP!* Blogger Beta!

PPPS: And since I felt like doing it, here's my new blog where I give my 2.666 cents worth of reviews from books to music to even toiletry products.

Whacker Inc's Reviews and Ughs

8 comments:

kirana said...

First Post Mothertruckers! *rants like a blabberbasher* (inside joke, refer to blabbermouth.net)

When I first heard "My Inner Self" about 3 years ago, I thought Max was yelling "Pain Arise, Condoleeza's alright!!" when he actually said "Blame and lies, contradictions arise". LOL. Imagine the Cavalera brothers being staunch republicans. UNCLE IGOR WANTS YOU. hahaha.

I'm not sure which herd I belong in but I do believe that everyone is just a sheep in the end. They follow a herd. One or two might get out of the herd and go on their own but, like you said, they either get hit by traffic or die cold and lonely (sometimes slaughtered). Or they eventually join another herd. Good post, Chris!

PS: Deicide's Stench of Redemption is their best release ever, and it's my vote for Death Metal album of the year. Nobody is missing the Hoffman brothers as Jack Owens and Ralph Santolla kick major steel-grinding ass.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm getting visions of you in khaki Dockers (THE BEST PANTS EVER!*snort*) combined with your standard anarchy issue black metal shirt, studded leather wristbands, and the ubiquitous chain across the nicely pleated trouser front.......and topping it all off with a nice shiny pair of tassled loafers on your feet, and a beanie cap on your head.

Now THAT'S non-conformity!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oooh, and I DO like the spiffy new look around here, and your very wise decision to promote me to number THREE on your blogroll. Now I only have two people to exterminate to claw my way to the top of the list! Or, I could just could up with a new name that starts with an A. Nah, that sounds too time intensive.

chris said...

oi...tu gambar apa tu? kucing tak macam kucing, anjing tak macam anjing

Lia said...

Aha! Chris is going to Beta! Take out an ad in the paper!

I guess this means you finally decided the rest of us have worked out enough of the kinks?

Or is this an attempt to be like the cool kids? :)

Anonymous said...

two reasons I hate the change :

a) beta has not let me (a beta blogger) comment here about a dozen times.

b) my link has gone from the top to the bottom. I know its alphabetical, but still.

but there's the freaky cat. which is oddly comforting.

now this comment better post or no amount of mutant cats can cheer me up.

Mawar said...

i've always hated that pic la chrissy dear. ish. gives me the creeps

Chris said...

Kirana: Now Uncle Igor is into crap. So's Max. Man, they've fallen from grace. What a shame. Santolla makes me happy to be a metalhead. Damn his godly solos!

Lady Elastic: Real men don't wear beanie caps. No, not this Winnie the Pooh lover!

Other Chris: I call it the ManCat. I love it.

McPhearson: It's MY blog so fugg off! :P

Lia: Cool kids join me. ;)

Syar: Mutant cats are oh so cute. Especially the one you find so comforting. Freaky.

Mawar: I don't know why but with the exception of Syar, no one has liked the picture. I have no idea why. Hmm...