Sunday 15 October 2006

Have I or have I not? I think I have. Um, I don’t think I have. Ugh.

After what seemed like the longest time I finally found a parking spot. It’s a bit far from the entrance but what the heck, the walk would do me good. I get out of the car and lock it. I walk about 5 meters and realised I didn’t lock the car. I walk back, cursing myself. It’s locked. Shit. I walk to the entrance again and I feel a sense of anxiety crawling up in me. I run back to the car to check that I have indeed locked the car. It was still locked. Satisfied I tell, no, I force myself to remember that I have locked the car already and there’s no need to go check again. The last time I did that the car-wash employees gave me queer looks.

We all have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It’s just that ours is not as extreme as others and we don’t need to go to therapy for it. The feeling you get when OCD kicks in is not pleasant. It really is an itch that can’t be merely scratched, it has to be thoroughly dispatched off. For people who have it mildly they have another word for it, Habit. Like for instance, I normally start off my day with a song, preferably something that is upbeat and galvanizes me to carpe diem. It’s something that I’ll do but isn’t a must. If it was OCD, the minute I’d get up from sleep I’d have to run over to my stereo and start blasting music. That would be bad.

Here are other OCD quirks of mine:

  • I have to wear a wristwatch whenever I go out. Even if it’s to the sundry shop that’s about 2 minutes away I’ll still wear it.
  • I can’t litter away. I have to find a rubbish bin to dispose of it.
  • I have to put my money in order; RM1 in the front, RM5 second and so on. And they all have to be face forward.
  • I tend to air guitar at the most unfortunate times. Sometimes a song just pops into my head and triggers an automatic response where my right hand will curl and goes into an all out riff jam. Many think I’m a pervert since my hand is ahem, positioned, at an angle.
  • I tend to headbang as well. Though even I have to admit it’s a bit scarier since people might assume I’m having an anaphylactic shock.
  • I shake my legs quite often. It’s not because I’m a sufferer of Shaky Stevens Leg Syndrome, but rather the fact that a song randomly pops in my head I’ll immediately do a drumbeat. And if I’m really into the song, in tandem, my hands will shake and bang an imaginary drumkit too.
  • The way I arrange my CD collection would make a systematic person cry inconsolably. It’s not in alphabetical order, it is however, in order of “greatness”, which translates to the CDs I frequently listen to.
  • I have to read with music on.
  • My blog posts have to be written in more than 500 words. Only on extenuating circumstances will I be forced to blog with a post of shorter length.
  • I normally proofread my posts as I go along. I can’t do it when I’m done otherwise it won’t be finished.

I think that just about does it. There are probably a bit more but I’ll have to proofread which means this won’t get posted at all. These quirks are the reason why there’s only one me and you. Of course, there’s bound to be others with the same symptoms as the above but that would be coincidence. Weirdness afflicts anyone, anywhere.

Chris is signing off. For now… He thinks… He hopes… He… BAH!

PS: This is sort of a meme, so I tag Syar, Mawar and whoever who wants to tell us about your OCD quirks. Please do check out Maria’s blog as she has hers with some pretty interesting quirks.

9 comments:

chris said...

this has nothing to do with this post...Nov 4, there's this Beatles Tribute Band, The Mersey Beatles will be playing a gig at Hard Rock Cafe. wan to go ar?

mademoiselle said...

Hahaa... Learned new things fr u. OCD. Beatles also you got listen? Keep it up!!

Regards,
Lee Huii

Anonymous said...

I was already thinking up mine as I read this. I'm hoping not to ruin my delusions of being quirky cause I can't think of any so far. But I will.

Chris said...

Other Chris: How much?

Lee Huii: The Beatles are the best!

Syar: No worries at all man.

Mazin: I prefer Flo Mounier's drumkit. Hehe.

Sure I'll do the review of the Slayer concert. Wait for it, yeah!

chris said...

from what i know, just the cover charge, how much exactly, that i dunno

mademoiselle said...

Of course I know the beatles are the best once upon the time. I love their song. Now Mc Cartney so fat. :S upset... other MIA...

Anonymous said...

Great list of OCD quirks. =) I second you on the second (LOL!) one. People think that I am just like that because Singapore tends to 'watch' you litter or properly dispose of your trash, but I've had that habit even when still living in Jakarta.

I think you told me about the seventh one, too! =) But just wondering.. what's the 'greatest' and 'least greatest' CD as of this moment for you? =)

*high fives you for lengthy posts* =) It's an OCD quirk of mine, too! =)

Thanks for the mention, dude! Take care! =)

Anonymous said...

If you were really OCD, you'd know it's really CDO, because that's alphabetical order. Readers' Digest, how I love thee!

I do that thing with my money in my wallet, too. It's not crazy, it's efficient.

And the air guitar quirk - well, that's EXCELLENT!

Chris said...

Lee Huii: MIA? Half of them are R.I.P.

Marz: For instance the first album of the right side of my CD case is Metallica's Ride the Lightning. I think a visual would explain better than I ever could.

Lia: I'd love to see a girl do the air guitar thing. I wonder what's her reason?