Saturday 7 October 2006

Going solo

Coldplay. Franz Ferdinand. Keane. The Killers. The This and That. Snow Patrol. Razorlight. The Argh...!

What do the above have in common? Apart from being the forerunners of the new wave of “rock” (I could debate this all day, but for the sake of not wanting to have a protracted and possible rancorous war of words with the exponents, I’ll keep my sentiments to myself (for not the time being of course)) these bands are currently ala mode, with kids getting into them because of their out of this world catchiness, unbelievably varied hooks and singers with distinct voices.

And most importantly, these bands do not subscribe to the Church of the Solo.

What is a solo anyway? And what’s the difference between a solo and a lead? Some say it’s the same thing. People like me however, know what they both mean to a song. As a non-musician trying to explain it to another non-musician, it’s been a difficult task to elucidate because the minute I hear a song with the above components I immediately recognize which is which. This ability to distinguish solos and leads didn’t come easily. Try 6 years of almost non-stop listens. It’s an ongoing education you could say.

Of course solos are meant to be indulgent! They are called a solo, duh! Like any good recipe, a solo can be used to spice up a song or to give it a shot of much needed adrenaline. Bands who say that solos are archaic are whiners who can’t play more than 3 chords. But what do I know right? I’m an old school guy who appreciates good song-writing. What I don’t like is when people talk claptrap (this is a cool word) about things they think they know.

Can you imagine Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore’s solos? Iron Maiden without theirs? Judas Priest without the solo duels? Or even The Beatles who normally didn’t incorporate them into most of their song but when they did it matched perfectly to much effect and create masterpieces of utter brilliance. Soloing is an art. You have good ones and you have bad ones. That’s why I listen to the good ones!

So here is Chris’s Top 5 Guitar Solos of All Time (because I couldn’t think of 10):

Metallica – Fade to Black

Without a doubt Kirk Hammett’s finest hour. As we all know, the former Exodus shredder was tutored by the one and only Joe Satriani. I guess Hammett wouldn’t be the guitarist that he his without the guidance from Satch. Metallica’s first “ballad” of sorts came out of nowhere, proving that the former thrash gods could write a moving, brooding and ultimately one of the finest metal songs of all time. All this is largely thanks to Hammett’s solo which extends the song’s meaning of wanting to end it all to its glorious climax.

Dream Theater – Voices

When 5 musicians came together, 3 of them with their Berkeley background the obvious was that each member were masters of their chosen instrument. The song is monstrous; a 10 minute marathon of epic proportions culminating with quite possibly John Petrucci’s best solo of his career. It is sweeping, powerful and it makes me wish I hadn’t spent my money last year when they came to Singapore to perform. I feel a need for a tissue. Lots of it. NOW!

Nevermore – The River Dragon Has Come

This is seven-string wizardry at its finest. Jeff Loomis’s guitar tone remains one of the heaviest in metal today. He has an uncanny ability to know when and where which technique is going to sound great and this song has it all. From tapping to all out goreng-ing (Malaysian for tearing it out) I wet myself every time I hear it. Gross but true.

Whitesnake – Sailing Ships

A lot of fans give this album the track is from tonnes of flak because of one guitar virtuoso’s approach to the solos and melodies. It was odd to say the least. But nothing in this world can take away Steve Vai’s solo for this song. On one side it’s Vai at his Vai-est and the other is brilliantly taken like the best Manchester United goal (you heard me!).

Megadeth – Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

For years I’ve hated Dave Mustaine because of my then blind and undying allegiance to Metallica. And his vocal delivery remains one of the most atrocious in the history of thrash metal. But nothing, and I mean, nothing, can take away from the fact that his solo right after Marty Friedman’s own blistering piece still captures me off-guard with its technicality and awesomeness.

I have to make this clear yet again, I despise the current crop of bands that play under the banner of rock. But to each his own and whatever floats your boat. As for me, my boat is about to play some of old school rock.

Chris is signing off. For now…

PS: The only band with ‘The’ in their name I like is The Darkness. Their second album tanked big time though.

8 comments:

Mawar said...

i actually have you to credit for getting me hooked onto the darkness. but yeah the 2nd album was crap, to say the least.

sorry i cant relate to any of ur reviews, im still as mainstream as ever. hehe

chris said...

so wat exactly is the difference between a solo and a lead? the solo/lead in comfortably numb is solo or lead?

Mawar said...

can u please speak english.

Anonymous said...

didn't you just explain solos and leads? shouldn't other chris know? not that I do though...I kinda skipped out your post and just read the bold text. Sorry, I'm not as mainstream as mawar but your tastes differ from mine. Like the review thing you got going on though. Turning into quite a series.

Anonymous said...

Okay, we have different tastes because I am still in love with the period that is 90s alternative/grunge. But I have to agree with you on The Darkness. They're so bloody brill!

You're coming to Singapore tomorrow! =D Whee!

Chris said...

To the fine ladies: Mainstream is all right. Beyonce and Fergie immediately come to mind. Hehe.

Other Chris: Comfortably Numb is a solo. Like I said dude, you gotta listen and listen till you can know which is which.

Mazin: Welcome dude. It's great to know that are other people into metal. There are other Malaysian metalheads like me man, it's just that there's not many of us. Most metal is banned here so we make do with whatever the bloody mainstream music stores give us.

The last time anything major happened for us was the Kreator concert last year. It was sick!

Tomorrow will be the day where all metalheads dream of, a Slayer concert. Yeah! Singapore, here I come! And thanks for dropping by man. Much appreaciated. \m/

Chris said...

Marz: I forgot! Ditto the Whee!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've decided that with your metal musical prowess and my love of alternative classics, we can co-D.J. together, and rule the world!

Kaiser Chiefs, Blah. Fergie, Disgusting. Thom Yorke, Boring.

See? You're not the only one that can write reviews, christo!