Thursday 24 November 2011

Marriage made in Hollywood.

Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore are no more (a pun, indeed).

Big surprise.

Kim Kardashian and some giant marry then divorce within months of getting hitched.

Big surprise.

The more outrageous, the more lavish, the more storm of press a wedding gets these days from Hollywood the more likely said wedding will have a chance of lasting about as long as me having to eat after a vigorous workout session.

About 30 minutes. And that's just me after an Arms session*.

I've always viewed marriage as committing yourself to someone that you love and cherish and will do anything to make your partner happy. "Get married for the right reasons" is what I've always maintained. What is with them and getting married after meeting for a week over cheap drinks and tapas? You know, when things are getting serious they'll start "shopping"** for a place together. A nest for them to come home to and roost.

Then, they break up after 2 months, citing incompatible ideals thus selling their pad for a cool couple of bucks. Well, millions are cool for them, mere mortals like you and I would be jumping for joy if we had a quarter of it.

Marriage in America is akin to their burgers; full of promise and wonder but ultimately loaded with fat and grease that you no longer want anymore.

This is Chris, signing off. 

P.S. Speaking of burgers, man, I want me one.

*If I do Back, Chest or Legs, it'll be 15 minutes. I kid you not.
**Honestly, celebrities "shopping" for a new place is depressing. It's as though they are shopping for socks.

2 comments:

Maria Celina said...

Oh, Hollyweird. What else can I say?

The proper idea of marriage can also apply to the people who latch onto any warm body, so that they're able to avoid social scrutiny in defying what some cultures see as "the purpose of creation", or in order to avoid loneliness. Personally, I think it's just as bad as a sham wedding.

For me, all in all, as with everything else, do it for the right reasons. Otherwise, it's just living with consequences.

Glad to see that you're back to writing again, Chris. Hope the break that you took from it was fruitful and that you return with a renewed spirit.

Chris said...

Maria!

I realised my grammar started to deteriorate after moving to Singapore; I stopped reading and that had a detrimental effect on me. I hated it. It's only lately that I've picked up a book and started reading again. The joys of flipping a page can never be replaced by the cold, uninviting buttons of Kindles and iPhones.

If you see my posts are erred in any way, do let me know, as improving on them will only make me better. But send an email or FB message because I'm still a shy and delicate flower. :)