Monday 1 November 2010

Life, as we know it.

I reckon Katherine Heigl should really play other types of roles other than being the atypical ditzy blonde who just wants to be loved.

It was fun the first time around. Now, not so. Why? Because this is the 53rd time. Find another role already.

Her latest cinematic jaunt, Life As We Know It, sees her playing a hot blonde who can't seem to get a decent date who along with Josh Duhamel have been entrusted with taking care of their best pals' daughter after they perish in a fatal accident. Their first reaction was to offload the child to a relative which was a pointless exercise since the parents were the only decent human beings in the family. The relatives? Losers. Heigl and Duhamel now have to set aside their mutual dislike for each other for the sake of the little cretin. In due time, they fall for each other, yet, smother their feelings. For the baby's sake, of course. Then by the 100th minute, they admit to each other and voila!

Instant family created.

If only life was that easy. What struck me about this movie was that the baby was not the central figure, it was the couple's bumbling attempt at raising the girl and eventually falling in love. Sure, they did things for the girl but she was made to be an accessory rather than being the driving factor in the grand scheme of things. But, then again, this is popcorn fare, not an indie drama that would've probably left me in tears. 

Contrary to popular belief, I love children. Abhorrence is reserved for those I find vexatious or resemble little trolls. It made me think of the day I become a parent and nominating my closest, most trustworthy pal to be the godfather of my child. (Man, he's going to flip when he finds out.) As for me, if I'm made godfather, I'd be honoured, too. In fact, I can imagine these things:
  1. Shock. Yes, I'd be shocked and speechless. 
  2. Disbelief. Me? ME?
  3. Fear. Will I be a great godfather? Oh, shit, I hope I don't drop the baby.
  4. Like. Will I even like the baby? What happens if it looks like a troll? (No disrespect to the parents but some children have turned out looking...different.)
But the movie raises one important question: raising a child is one thing, but someone else's? Your best pal's one and only child? In the movie, the two protagonists take little Sophie under their care because they are indebted to parents because the parents helped them. Sounds like repaying a favour, doesn't it? In all honesty, I don't know what I would do if I were in that situation. My concern is how am I going to love a child that's not mine. For the life of me, I don't see how I ever could.

Life, as we know it, is never easy.

This is Chris, signing off.

P.S. It was an all right. Red was all right as well. Helen Mirren with a giant machinegun is a sight to behold, indeed.

4 comments:

Maria Celina said...

I completely zoned at the fact that it's a romantic comedy. It's not really my cup of tea, heh! I was surprised that I was able to get through "August Rush" without having all my brain activity stop altogether. =P

However, your postscript did get my attention. Helen Mirren? With a machine gun? That's it, I'm watching "Red". That woman is so bad-ass, I love her!

Maria Celina said...

Guess who ended up watching this film? *raises hand* I watched with a friend who wanted to de-stress, so instead of watching "Red", I gave into what he wanted to watch. =P

I still look forward to watching "Red", though!

Chris said...

Maria: Your friend destressed by watching the Heigl movie? Now I'm stressed.

:p

Waffle-Girl said...

Is the godfather who i think it is?? How come no godmother?? *hint hint*