Friday 28 August 2009

Of flying houses, talking dogs and undying love.

Over an extremely greasy lunch, a good friend of mine, Marie, and I were discussing about greatest fears and what is ours. I told her that mine is growing old and being alone with no one that loves me (pretty deep, huh?). Of course, being the lovely little thing that she is, told me that I won't be alone as I'll be surrounded by family and friends. I smiled, told her I hope so and continued eating the greasy as heck food. But the feeling of being alone when I'm old lingered.

This feeling came about after watching the brilliant Up. Now, I'm not one to go gaga over an animation but this really hit home. Apart from the beautiful Wall-E, I have not been so touched by such movies. The scenes in Up where the old man and his wife were together just pulled at my heartstrings. It is exactly I how envisioned myself growing old: with a loving wife beside me, with children and their children in the house, (of course, in the movie, that never happened so just bear with me) all happy just to be in each other's company.

The other thing that got to me was when his wife passed away. Can you imagine the love of your life no longer with you? Thinking of it simply saddens me. Have you read stories where an elderly couple died either a few days apart or together? And that they were known to be a loving couple? Those stories touch me and give me hope that one I shall grow old with my one and only.

To the girl out there waiting for me, I'm coming. Let's grow old together.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I hope to be remembered when I die. Or at least be known as the Crazy Uncle Who Terrorised Kids With His Walking Stick.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

die chris... die!!!

Waffle-Girl said...

That was deep, bro...

i know i can't live after losing my loved one...

let me see if i can survive this 10 days first being "kinda" away from 2 jokers i never thought would be so close to my heart..

losing the love of your life is one thing... being forgotten is another.... hmmmmm.... ponder ponder...

Anonymous said...

thy shalt not be forgotten...

ooh, doughnuts!

Chris said...

Bill: Thanks.

Waffle Girl: We shall have a talk soon.

Bill: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

‘Twas a truly heart-warming entry =)

On losing someone we love, sad but it will happen, though you gotta make sure that they’ve felt how much they mean to you while you are with them..

On being forgotten, nah, it will never happen..WHY AH? Because you will be remembered by the people whose lives you have touched and changed...

(MK - RM)

Chris said...

Anonymous: Thanks for dropping by. ;-)

I hope I've made a good enough impression on some people. It'd be nice to hear someone say, "oh, I learnt that from that idiot Chris."

It will surely bring a smile to my face!

Do come back more often, whoever you are...