Saturday 4 July 2009

Devil horns and bhangra. Who knew it could be good?

Music makes the world go round.

I thought it was because it was spinning on its own axis?

Wise-ass remark aside, music has left an incredibly profound impact on my life. I grew up listening to classical and oldies courtesy of my dad while I was forced to listen to my sisters' favourite 80's and 90's pop. Of course, you now know me as the most unmetal-looking metalhead.

So is it a funny image if I were to tell you that this metalhead actually enjoyed fusion music last night? Let me be more specific: this metalhead enjoyed local fusion music that combined bhangra and modern sensibilities? Oh, I also forgot bagpipes. The Diplomats of Drum performed at The Curve and I was there with my friends. I've always had a thing for live performances, especially if it involves instruments and not 5 pretty boys lip-synching and dancing in tandem to standard beats. No, this was something special. After a lifeless demonstration on Capoeira which had exponents performing windmills on each other, came the main attraction.

I didn't know what to expect so I sat on my high stool and waited. The wait, humidity and smoky surrounding was worth it. Remember all the Bollywood movies you've watched? Remember the music? The unmistakable rhythm of the drum beat? Now hold that sound and add in guitar riffs, flutes, a didgeridoo and massive amounts of melody and you'll probably get a whiff of what the music is. If you're having a tough time then it's only understandable. It's not like this kind of music gets played on the airwaves at all. When it comes to local bands I will be wary always as a good chunk are just bad imitators of their influence.

But not this band.

The only downside of an otherwise brilliant performance was the audience. It has to be said that Malaysians are idiots, morons and general dumbasses when it comes to live performances. The people just sat on their seats, drinking and smoking, while the band kept urging them to get on their feet and wave their hands. What's the reason for our ineptitude and lassitude? "We're a shy people, we don't do that sort of thing." No wonder Singapore still gets all the action. C'mon! You have a great band who plays great music and there you are nodding gently. There I was, unleashing the devil horn on one hand while the other clutched a Heineken* looking like a poseur. But I didn't give a right damn as I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Ginormous kudos and devil horns to the Diplomats and their Drums. You've made me a fan.

This is Chris, signing off.

* =
Did I really look that red? Damnit, I still can't drink for nuts.

PS: I wonder if the Diplomats wouldn't mind having me doing vocals...

4 comments:

Waffle Girl said...

"There I was, unleashing the devil horn on one hand while the other clutched a Heineken* looking like a poseur."

Excuse me??? the 2 hours i spent at the show with you, i probably only saw you "not being shy" for like 5 minutes..!!

I'm not to judge what happened after that though....

But we did have a good time, no doubt... :) You should have gone up to sing, boy...

Anonymous said...

Dude... looked fun... damit... should have been there... could have checked out my brothers in action!!! hahahahha...

Chris said...

Waffle Girl: I was really having a nice time. Good music, good company and good times. I think singing along would've been something, eh? ;)

Clinton: Haha. I'm sure you would which would've been great as I was checking out your "sisters". Tee hee!

Unknown said...

it was funnn..despite knowing the guys for years that was my first time ever watching/ hearing them live..damn chun kan? glad you had fun =)

just be part of their fan page on fb..you'll be updated on events where they perform live..mana la tau..you could just jump up on stage and sing a song or two with them..NOT! muahahaha

-J-