Friday 5 June 2009

Man on Man. This doesn't sound right at all...

If you've been following this blog (you absolutely must, by the way) you probably noticed me dishing out praise like it was the Singapore Mega Sale.* Well, when praise is deserved I will praise, sometimes too effusively, I know, but I really mean it. The same goes with me criticising or unleashing a customary diatribe; I will go all out to make my point clear.

Anyway, this post is going to be about the L-word. Not that L-word, but, you've guessed it, Love. To be more specific:

Man Love.

In my Penang/Langkawi/Penang posts, I mentioned that my friends, Waffle Girl and G-Milo Girl, had this strong bond that seems to get stronger (I think they're drinking calcium-enriched milk) as time goes by. It made me think about my own friends; my brothers from another mother. There are only two guys in the world that I trust wholly with my secrets and emo, Fill and Irwin.

Fill, and I have this tacit understanding, a very manly bond, that allows us to work really well together. I'm more of the planner whereas he's the executioner. Together, we rocked the presentations during college. Except for one. We presented a Java program but instead of prepping ourselves we decided to just wing it which was the norm for us for all our presentations. But, boy, did this one implode in our faces. Midway through the presentation it was clear we were just blathering about everything except Java-related stuff. We were silly. We made a mockery of the classroom and the lecturer but the worse was that we made ourselves the biggest fools. At the end of it, we apologised to the class and walked back to our seats, heads hung low in shame. Life sure does know how to embarrass a person. So from that day onwards we made a pact that the next presentation we will sit down and plan everything in advance to avoid any more screw ups.

Irwin is someone I don't see often as he's in Italy for studies but when he comes back here for holidays I'll make sure we hang out as much as possible. He's someone I can talk to about anything yet have nearly the same thoughts and opinions. He and I have experienced things growing up that not many people can relate to, therefore, I guess that's why we're close. Which, is weird, considering we hated each other back in the day when we first met in college. It was a mutual thing: I hated his over-enthusiastic self and his endless gadgets while he hated me in return as I was this portly crap-spewer who kept saying stupid things to entertain people. But as we got to know each other, we learned to appreciate each other's foibles and flaws, the better the friendship became.

Guys are exteremely straightforward with each other. If we find that one of us has been acting like a prick, we'll say it. Loud. It's who we are. We love chilling with our coffee and talk about cars, chicks and comics but we can shut those all out in an instant and talk about the important stuff: Life.

Cos we're manly men!

This is Chris, signing off.

* = Which, coincidentally, I'm going to next, next weekend. Goods at bargain prices and vacuous but totally hot Singaporean chicks? Hot damn, yes!

PS: Bill, I know you're reading this, so, here's a big mug of milk for you. Thanks for being a total jerk in front of the other guys and a great friend when they're not there. We will have a very good friendship.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh.. your gay love is beautiful.. there is hope yet for you!

got milk!?

Anonymous said...

nice one, chris..... i do hope your bond with your brudders grows as how G-Milo Girl and mine did... :P hats off to friendship..!!

Chris said...

Bill: MAN-MANCE!

Waffle Girl: Two thumbs waaaaaaaaaay up!

Anonymous said...

hey.... MAN-MANCE was mine.... :D