Thursday 13 March 2008

And...?

The banners have been taken down. Some of the luckier ones (the “losers’” banners) can still be seen gently flopping blithely whenever there’s a cool breeze. Numerous gasped at the results (read: Samy Vellu and friends @ Semi Value), left in shock, some of them were. A good number were overjoyed with the results (read: people not supporting Samy Vellu @ Semi Value). Others felt something more. The people have celebrated in their own quiet way while some have done so in various ways that I don’t even want to repeat it here.

The ruling party has been dealt a big blow. A blow so crushing it left the cockier ones ashamed, their tails tucked underneath their bums and the not so smarmy ones despondent and in disbelief. They knew they were going to go up the opposition, the same opposition that had been gathering massive support right up to the final second of elections. Even I, Nonchalant Chris, was busy refreshing the webpage of one of the country’s premier no bullshit news site. Even my family were flipping the channels for the latest news of any kind. Friends were sending SMSes advising to not go out for fear of riots and the occasional Festival of Throwing Teargas into Illegal Gatherings.

Things have slowed down considerably. The fervour that once gripped the nation has been replaced with more a calm and collected vibe. It is now time for action. The opposition are making a difference. Or so I’ve been informed. The papers these days…

Passion for whichever fascination is an intrinsic essence of a person’s being. You either are born with it or you have to cultivate it. In any case, like all good things, having too much passion for something can be bad. It can blind you. I’m not saying that if you had a fervid fixation of knitting it will blind you (careful now with the giant needle thingy), I’m just saying that you need to relax and see if YOU like it if someone comes up to you and says that your passion stinks and that you stink and that you should get deodorant while you’re at it. And it hurts more if it came from someone you know, respect, love and all that jazz.

I will exercise my right to vote one day. Maybe the next one I will do so. Maybe the one after it. I don’t know. I do know this: I didn’t vote this year because I just didn’t want to. It’s as simple as that. It wasn’t because I didn’t like this politician (I don’t like any of them) or that one, I just decided that my time was better spent at home with my family.

Yeah, maybe some of us are wusses (hmm? why exactly ah? I honestly don’t get it). You could say that Father Apathy got the better of us.

I must say this, though : apathy feels like eating pancakes. I’m hungry already.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: To those who voted, good on ya. To those who didn’t, there’s always the next time…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I strongly believe that the right to vote also comes with the right to abstain from voting. Personally, I think you were exercising your right as a citizen. I have abstained from voting myself for my country ever since I reached the age of majority, and it's for the same reasons as you.

Then again, I also don't vote if I don't have faith that the country will change. I want to be witness to some kind of revolution. If I am voting for something different when it'll just turn out to be exactly the same, then I just won't bother. It's a waste of my breath.. and ink.

Chris said...

id: Your comment says more than my post. Hahaha.

Lia said...

Cookies.

Chris said...

Lia: I'd love some. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It does? Well I heard that I do talk a lot.. =P