Monday 31 December 2007

2007 – What A Year

2007.

What a freaking strange and wonderful year it has been.

This is definitely the most bittersweet year of my (adult) life. I’ve experienced so many things; the one and only thing missing from my collection of experiences is the kitchen sink.

I kid you not.

Highlights of the year:

  1. Most definitely getting a job which I like a whole lot. And having the best colleagues and mentors ever makes the work much easier than it really is.
  2. Getting back my 32-inch waist. I can finally wear spandex without looking like an overstuffed sausage! (Think Nacho Libre and you’d hit the jackpot.)
  3. Singing Celine Dion’s songs as well as the nastiest and cheesiest rock song ever, Eye of the Tiger, when I applied for a stinking job at an insurance company. Oh, that was such joyous fun!

  4. I’ve become a lot more confident and assertive. In other words, I am now more of an asshole.

Remember my 2006 Resolutions List? Here are the results (or lack thereof in many cases):

  1. Get a better job.

I’d liked that. Really.

Outcome: I did!

  1. Improve my guitar skills.

I still can’t seem to tune my bloody guitar! And it’s been 5 months already!

Outcome: Urm. I haven’t practised in aeons. Damn.

  1. Run for more than five minutes and not pass out.

The current time is 4 minutes. Ah, the ignominy!

Outcome: I can safely (and proudly) say that I can run for minutes (not hours, that’s just crazy) on end without the need for an oxygen tank.

  1. Stop my mouth from spewing out rubbish.

I remember reading an interview with Deftones once and one of the band members said to the singer, “Your mouth is like a shit making machine. You keep talking shit.” I think that pretty much sums it all up. Think first you dolt!

Outcome: I’m still an incorrigible git. But I’m getting cheekier, though.

  1. Write better.

Damnit, I’d do anything to write like some of you guys.

Outcome: I’m still trying!

  1. Finally get me some Mandarin lessons.

China girls, beware! And all you Mandarin-speaking, peace-sign lovin’, silly dressing gals out there, too!

Outcome: I’m about as useful as an elephant in a cage. A very small cage. I still can’t string sentences together but I can sort of get the gist of conversations.

  1. Get me Neil Gaiman’s Sandman graphic novels.

I’m eyeing the obscenely huge, tome-like, 20-episodes-in-1 bonanza that would cost me a quarter of my pay. Actually, what I mean to say is, get me the rest. Behold!

Outcome: I still haven’t read it yet. Heck, I still haven’t even taken out the damn wrapping!

  1. Listen to more jazz, preferably guitar-based ones.

I have to let my Marc Antoine CDs rest. They’ve been spinning non-stop. Trumpets, saxophones and other instruments that require one to blow into them need not apply. That sounded somewhat disturbing…

Outcome: All right. I still can’t get into “real” jazz (whatever that is anyway) but I can appreciate the finer stuff, like Sophie Milman to really “feeling” heavy stuff like Christian Scott.

  1. Read AND understand better.

I love to read but I tend to do it fast as though the words might run away if I took my time to really understand them. Darn. I feel dumb now.

Outcome: Not that dumb. I hope. I think. Sigh.

  1. Attract more girls with my wit and charm.

LOL! (I’m not much a LOL! fan but I felt that that was appropriate.)

Outcome: Dreadful.

My resolution list for 2008:

  1. To be a better person.
  2. Enjoy life with family and friends.
  3. Work hard and play harder.
  4. Save the planet. One plastic bottle at a time.
  5. See Dream Theater in concert, which, is going to happen on the 17th of January!

I’m going to miss 2007. But 2008 beckons me with even greater mishaps and missteps. Here’s to me! And what the heck, you as well!

Happy New Year!

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Sorry for the lack of updates. Been terribly busy trying to be busy.

3 comments:

Lia said...

Happy New Year, Chris. I'm not sure what the time difference is, but it'll be 2008 for you sooner than for me. Anyhow, I think you did really well on the 2007 list - you hit the important ones. And, if I may say so, I think your 2008 list is even better than the 2007 list. Good luck with all of them!

Maria Celina said...

I like your resolve to be a better person. It makes for a good resolution to roll over year after year.

Man.. I thought that your saving the world resolution would at least involve a cheerleader!
That joke is so old! Haha!
Happy 2008! =D

Chris said...

Lia: Thanks! Resolution 5 is fast approaching and I simply can't wait.

Marz: Cheerleader? My dear, you watch way too much telly!