Friday 19 October 2007

Boys and girls

I used to like watching a show called Child of Our Time. The children featured on the show were cute, cuddly and made me feel all warm inside. Of course, watching CSI (mainly for the women), Lost (only for Evangeline Lilly, she’s da bomb) and Grey’s Anatomy (used to, I hate the current storyline) makes me feel warm, too. If you know what I mean. He he. All right, fine, I’ll get on with the actual topic. People can be so impatient.

What makes a girl a girl and a boy a boy? Is it to do with upbringing? If a girl plays with boys’ toys is all right but heaven forbid if a boy plays dress up. It’s unnatural. Boys are boys and girls can be boy-like provided she wears pink outfits and takes an instant liking to Hilary Duff.

It’s weird to think that people actually equate that if a boy is surrounded by females, he will grow up to be slightly effeminate, or worse, a (please don’t say that G-word) homosexual. To me, that’s utter bollocks. I grew up with three women and look how I turned out. I eat so fast my food digests as I eat, I fart in public places (surreptitiously and skilfully executed, of course), I burp loudly and proudly after eating a hearty meal and I swear because I don’t give two shits. Or a fuck. Take your pick. If you want a better example, Tom “I like to buy medical equipments to check up on my baby” Cruise. He was also raised by women as well and he is in no way as hell a sissy. Scientology may be a hoot of a “religion” but it’s not the reason he’s such a macho chap.

It seems that being a homosexual and open about it constitutes bravery, self-confidence and all-round champ. Like, duh. They like people of the same gender. Hello! I for one have always maintained that you don’t have to be straight to be my friend. I could not care less whether or not you like men’s butts; just don’t touch mine and we’re all dandy.

If I have a daughter I’d like her to be feminine but also be able to kick some guy’s family jewels if he ever touches her inappropriately. As for my son, I hope he’ll be able to bash the guy even further for hurting his sister in any form. But if fate has it that either one of them prefers their own gender, then I’ll support them (I’ve watched Brokeback Mountain). I just want them to be happy. I admit my parents did project their wrongdoings unto me and my sisters therefore hoping for us to not turn out like them. They forgot one important thing: we aren’t them. It is this so obvious element that has left them confounded, unable to understand us properly and ultimately is the reason why I’m a rather strapping young lad.

You wouldn’t catch me wearing pink, though.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: Guys, please bring stop turning up your collars. You remind me of dogs who keep biting their own tails.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, what separates genders is genitals, haha! I used to play with my brother's GI Joes and Transformers because sometimes his toys were more exciting than Barbie. And how did I turn out? Well, the butts I stare at turn out to belong to guys, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with my sexuality. =P And apparently, it's the same with you. (Then again, I noticed that growing up surrounded with women made you a real gentleman, though. You are one of kind, Christo!)

"They forgot one important thing: we aren’t them. It is this so obvious element that has left them confounded, unable to understand us properly.." I wholeheartedly agree with this. In fact, I have been having some trouble dealing with this at the moment and countless times it has left me so frustrated I want to kick something.

Well for me, all in all, sure we have to enculturate genders into children to a certain extent (though I don't think the whole 'pink for girls, blue for boys' is not necessarily what I am getting at) but at the end of the day, it's what you are able to do. It doesn't matter type of surprise is in your pants.

(Annnddd.. that sounded wrong.)

I agree with your postscript, by the way. Popped collars, for me, is like the sign of 'douche'-ness.

Lia said...

To totally ignore your point, YOU LIKE HILARY DUFF??? Bad taste, man. Although I know other guys who like her, too. I can't quite seem to understand that.

Chris said...

Marz: You're far too generous with your praise. I am humbled.

And your line, "It doesn't matter type of surprise is in your pants" is genius!

Lia: I like looking at her. Her singing, or rather, lack thereof, makes me want to ram hot chopsticks into my eardrums.

Jean Knee said...

my daughter was made fun of because she took spider man crackers in her lunch. apparently they aren't girly enough. yeah, I don't get it either