Wednesday 23 August 2006

Donate lor

An old woman sleeps on the cold steel. People pass by her with pity on their faces but continue walking on. A man who has lost both his legs pleads to the passers-by for a small token. Children with smudged cheeks and frizzed hair ask you if you want to buy tissue paper. A barefoot monk comes up to you, silently, he holds up colourful beads and is hoping that you buy a few. You say no in the coldest voice you never knew you had and he walks away, sighing, hoping that the next person he asks won’t be as cruel as you were.

Those are some of the scenes you can see whenever you go out to the city. It is terribly saddening to see such things, especially for a tourist, because even though we are on our way to being a developed country, penury still exists despite efforts to put an end to it. It makes you wonder what happened to these people. Where was the love?

People with their expensive mobile phones and chic jeans just don’t give a damn. Women with their fake tans and eyebrows pull at their boyfriend’s sleeve because she saw a pretty dress that costs as much as feeding an entire village in some remote mountainous area in Pahang. Businessmen with their tailor-made suits from Italy and heavy metal briefcases are not worried that some poor old man with crutches isn’t going to eat his dinner tonight. They’re more worried that the stock market might plunge into more uncertainty or worse, chaos, thus costing them a chance to buy another Porsche they’ve been eyeing.

If we say we are a caring society then where’s the proof? A politician who helps the people by planting trees at a new housing area does not count as “helping out”, mind. It’s just a publicity stunt so that he can use the fame to buy another condo at some upmarket establishment. Funny, no?

This may come across as a bit heartless but I become cold and stern whenever I encounter mendicants. It’s not that I want to be callous but ever since there have been reports debating the authenticity of such people my donating hand rarely comes out now. I give them a look of sympathy, smile faintly, say sorry and walk away.

Every single day in the newspapers you read about people being abandoned; fathers abusing their children and wives, grandmothers and grandfathers fending for themselves because of their ungrateful children who have left them in the lurch. But do WE do anything? Once in a while you’ll read about someone donating a large of money or helping some of these poor souls find a new home. What have we become? Why are we not doing more? And why is it that politicians are still making empty promises and the consequences of their lies are being made to suffer by the people they “wanted to help”?

They say that donating even the smallest amount could mean a world of a difference. I can safely say that I’ve done my fair share of donating though I try to avoid doing so. I’m not proud saying it but at least I’m honest about it. But rest assured as I gain a foothold in this world, I’ll be there lending my hands, legs and brain to make things better. I promise (If I do renege on my words, you people have licence to shoot me in the butt).

Chris is signing off. For now…

PS: To the girl who came up to me for donation and said “Don’t look at me like that la. You’re scaring me.” I sincerely apologize but I was eating an awfully made egg sandwich.

11 comments:

ayuu said...

I share the same sentiments as you dude. =)

Anonymous said...

couldnt have said it better ma brova. All my thoughts exactly, u worded it out to perfection

Mawar said...

awww, the stingy bugger in you has gone soft. :p

Chris said...

Ayu: I don't know who you are but I highly appreciate the comment. Thanks!

Phil: Yo man, you be better commenting more often now. And don't forget our Chilli's date!

Mawar: :P I always had a soft side.

Swift said...

phil + chris = u guys r gettin gay-er and gay-er, mind the bad england and the off topic-ness...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

They're sensitive souls, swift. Nothing wrong with that. Although, at this rate the next blog entry will be extoling the virtues of using a good facial moisturizer and douching once a month.

We pay tithing which allots to 10% of our gross monthly income. Our religion doesn't have paid clergy, so a huge percentage of that money funnels down into charity. It makes me feel less guilty when passing beggars on the corner.

Chris said...

Swift: I'm so gonna kick your ass when I see you during convo. :)

Lady Elastic: I don't know if I could ever do what you do by paying tithes but at least you're making a difference. I salute you.

PS: Yes, the next post is going to be about facial creams!

Swift said...

u really r turning gay-er! dun tell me u use facial creams too? especially those that says extra moisture and extra UV protection?

Anonymous said...

I think the reason why people want to make all these false promises about revolutionizing society and changing the world is because it makes the world around us easier to live in. It's harder when you have the full out truth staring at you straight in the face, whichever corner you turn. Also, there are some people out there who are crazy enough to think (? so 'think' may not be the best word here, hehe!) that whatever doesn't directly affect them doesn't matter. It's sick.

However, that doesn't necessarily reflect what I personally think. You have made really great points in your entry here. We need more people like you who don't just dismiss the harsh reality of things with a simple 'Oh well!' and a swig of their Starbucks. Mind you, I have had my moments, but I know that being ignorant of what's around me is the answer to everything.

Have a great trip back to KL, btw. Nice meeting you.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Meh Christo, paying tithing isn't exactly altruism on our part, it's a Commandment. Papi and I figure we should do the small stuff and save up for something really big. Like a SINNER Pyramid scheme.

ayuu said...

Just a loyal disciple of Chris's Temple of Ranting Teddy Bears.

Can I consider myself as that? Lol