Monday 26 June 2006

Service with a smile? Pfft. It’s a myth I tell you.

As I was walking into my favourite coffeehouse, I was greeted by the pretty employee with her hair tied up neatly and on her head was a cap slightly bigger than her body. For a moment I thought she was the most beautiful creature ever. I was immediately taken aback, her smile and that voice of hers when she said sublimely, “Hello Sir! May I take your order?” left me enthralled. For the first time in my life someone actually called me “Sir” even though I was obviously a pugnacious and unscrupulous looking boy of 17. I’m now 22 and I still look pugnacious and unscrupulous as ever. Heck I still find it odd when someone calls me “Sir”.

Walk into anywhere these days and you’ll be greeted with pleasant salutations, sometimes it’ll come from all four corners of the world that it can be quite giddying if you’ve been accustomed to solemn stares and unhappy mutterings of “Hello”. What has been the norm in western countries is now becoming something of great significance here.

Of course, I’ve had my fair share of ignominy from supposed customer service. For some strange reason I’ve been given the cold shoulder many a time just because I was dressed like a tauke (minus the singlet and the unbelievably tight shorts). I didn’t display my armpit hair to them. I wasn’t rude to them in any way. Since they equate three-quarter pants and a plain tee as a country bumpkin, they took to treat me with 3rd rate service. Without the smile naturally. It’s not that I want to be treated like a king but I sure as heck don’t want to be treated like a court jester either.

I know there are customers from Hell. I wholeheartedly agree that these people should be given a lesson in humility and learn to eat humble pie as part of their daily diet. Of course the moment when a tourist comes in through the door, every one drops what they’re holding and blitzes to help him. All one can make out from the hubbub is the happy faces and the loud boisterous belly laughs reverberating as our people treat the tourist like he was the saviour of mankind. All of this fawning for them foreigners is commonplace and so is the snubbing the minute they see a fellow countryman.

What irks me so much is that people tend to associate customer service with saying “Thank You”, “Please come again!” etc. This is utter bollocks. I remember once I was kept waiting for my order that in the end I didn’t have the strength (or the pissed-offness) left to complain. Not because I wasn’t thoroughly satisfied with the service itself, but it was more of the attitude and the way in which I was treated. But when I was down south, I was profusely apologised to even though I had only waited for about a minute or so.

It’s so easy to compare each other but it’s so hard to acknowledge the imperfections.

I for one don’t see a renaissance for Malaysian customer service. Not in the near future that is or during my lifetime. It ultimately boils down to education. Not from the teachers in school but from the parents. If the parents do not teach their children to say “Thank You” and “Please” the minute that they are able to speak then no amount of common sense in that child will make them say it when they’re older.

Being polite doesn’t mean shit if you’re not polite in the first place.

Chris is signing off. For now la, haiya…

PS: I don’t expect to be treated like royalty but it’ll be nice once in a while. After all, the customer is always right.

7 comments:

Lia said...

I so rarely shop at high end stores that on the rare occasion I do, I am totally shocked by how nice it is to be noticed by the salespeople. Usually, even if they offer to help you, you just want to get rid of them because you know they're just going to be annoying.

So it's not just Malaysia. People are people.

Congrats on your new commentor title, by the way.

Chris said...

That's the thing. Usually when I go into a shop I always dread the employees. They tend to hover me which I so hate cos I just want to peruse the store, not rob them of their RM2 tissue. People... pfft...

And thanks for the compliment and especially the visit.
Chris.

Syar said...

which is why reader's digest ranked us the third least courteous country in the world. I felt so ashamed.

Chris said...

Surprisingly, I didn't feel surprised at all. Normally I'd be the first to vent fury at stuffed animals whenever this kind of survey crops up. But I was like "So?"

We all know we're not really that bad. The tourists know we're not that bad. All in all, it gets a big MEH.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

We rarely get greeted with a "Hello" here in Texas. It's usually the stereotypical, "How ya'all doin"?

I'm a woman of simple pleasures. A waiter that keeps my water glass filled is golden.

Oh, and your last point about teaching your children consideration and basic etiquette? A resounding, AMEN, Brother! I refuse to serve, help, or do anything for my kids unless the request is prefaced by a "Please". We're not perfect parents but not teaching certain civilities is tantamount to child abuse.

Chris said...

I hear ya EWBL (typing your nick gave me slight RSI). As long as the waiters are nice and friendly, I might just leave a tip or two.

And thanks for dropping a comment!
Chris.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I shall henceforth allow you to refer to me as elastic or lastic.

No, my first name ain't baby, it's lastic. Miss lastic if you're nasty.

Does one ever get tired of quoting Janet Jackson? Me thinketh not!