Monday 30 November 2009

I wouldn't mind having buttguns!

Last Saturday was a movie marathon so here's a quick and dirty movie update (cos I don't have anything constructive to blog about):

Ninja Assassin

By jove, Rain is superb. I can't believe I just said that. Really, the rather unhandsome one (ya, ya, he's good-looking and tall and cute and whatnot but his long hair makes him pretty in this so get off your high horse, k?) delivers an adroit if not smart-alecky performance as he says lines drier than an undried bacalao that's a 100-years-old. Storyline is a no-brainer; you go in, have a good time and try not to squirm every time a body part gets severed from its owner, blood gloriously splattered all over the place. And, ladies, yes, he does have a killer body.

You may now scream in delight.

Astro Boy

I went in the theatre hoping that it'll be good (because I didn't want to watch that* movie) as I have never watched the cartoon. Thankfully, I was pleasantly entertained. There are a few gripes, though, chiefly Nicolas "I'm an overly paid actor because I look mopey" Cage whose soporific voice did not convey the sense of loss and hope of Dr. Tenma. There was also a lack of urgency, especially later in the movie when Astro Boy had to battle the evil President Stone. But then again, watching Ninja Assassin before this does make you somewhat bloodthirsty.

A Christmas Carol

Let it be known that apart from the first Ace Ventura and The Mask, I have not enjoyed another Jim Carrey movie. Yes, I enjoyed the movie only because of the story as well as the phenomenal graphics. Carrey was surprisingly good while the supporting cast were not short on talent, too. Speaking of the graphics, golly, the detail on every single object is just mindblowing. And to add to its near-realism, some of the character design and sequences actually, GASP!!!, made me startled like a little boy accidentally seeing his grandparents kissing after a game of Solitaire (huh???).

Three movies in a day, wow, that's a record! Have a productive week ahead, folks!

I know I won't!

This is Chris, singing off.

PS: I love my

* = New Moon, pfft!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Astro Boy rocks! I loved it, and didn't expect to. But I think Cage did fine as Dr. Tenma; his grief over losing his son was convincing. He wasn't as good as Freddie Highmore as Astro though, that was awesome work. Nathan Lane and Kristen Bell were great too. The animation ROCKED!!!! As good as Pixar and hell this movie was BETTER than UP! So glad I took a chance and saw this because so many movies I saw this year sucked!!!

Anonymous said...

Astro sucks....


on a rainy day that is :)

Maria Celina said...

I watched "the movie". Even though I am anti-"the movie". But get this: a straight boy asked me to go. Hello, history books! I will be imprinted in thee! =P

Kidding aside, I so want to see "A Christmas Carol". I am a bit disappointed to see that it's Jim Carrey (I am still nursing the wounds of the childhood ruined by his portrayal of The Grinch.) but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Oh, Christmas spirit, thou hast arrived early. =P

Chris said...

Anonymous 1: I have to disagree completely with you; Up is by far the superior movie. It has a grumpy old man that some day, I will resemble. So, yeah. Here's a raspberry for you, too. :P

Anonymous 2: Hell yeah!

Maria: Thank goodness he was straight and not bent! Urm. Yeah. Phew!

You is not a fan of the Jim Carrey, too? *high five!*