Thursday 31 January 2008

If you think you’ve had a bad week, mine’s badder.

The weather here in Malaysia is so hot; I’m naked most of the time.

Yeah, right!

Wipe those salacious thoughts right away and let me treat you to a work of fiction. The story you are about to read is nothing more than someone’s imagination put into word.

There was this boy, right, who was really handsome. But his looks bear nothing to the story. Stop dreaming, pay attention. Anyway, this boy (handsome, many have said) is pretty much new to the job. Heck, he is new to the working world, having only worked a combined four months (2 and a half jobs, don’t ask, he won’t answer.) prior to this. He’s a happy-go-lucky kind of guy who prefers to be in a jocular (his word, not mine) mood as opposed to being in a foul mood only seen during mediaeval times. Which, coincidentally, didn’t have clean underwear. Or any for that matter.

The first month on the job was spent trying to understand what the job is all about; what to do right and what not to do wrong. In short, he learned the ways to not screw up badly. You can screw, all right, but you can’t screw too much. This was also the month where he was exceptionally busy. Busy trying to look busy, that is!

Second month proved to be the turning point in his blossoming career. Turned so much his head spun a 360 and came back a 359. This month saw him undertake one task after another, with nary a complaint except for the times when his tummy was faintly vexed by the lack of attention it was not receiving from its (dim) master. He picked up work where work needed and it proved to be a great month. It went so well; he didn’t feel like resigning the next day.

The third and fourth months were all about speed. As soon as a problem came about, he was always there, ready to pounce. But it was all for nothing, really. He may have been on the scene of the crime first, but the culprit would be too cunning, thus avoiding capture early. But make no mistake, justice prevails and the culprit would eventually be apprehended. After lunch, normally. You can’t fight crime on an empty stomach!

As 2007 was about to draw its curtain, many people decided to have their breaks. Long ones. It proved highly challenging to the young one (with a surprisingly matured (and very handsome) face, as many have testified) yet he reigned over his mistakes and whatnots. Christmas was spent with loved ones minus the presents from Ole Nick. Yes, my dear children of the cornflakes, the boy still believes in Santa’s naughty helpers.

And now we come to the end of the 5th week. This particular week was significantly mellow. There was the occasional request to do slave work, but it was nothing the (handsome) boy couldn’t handle. Did I forget to mention that he’s the youngest in the office? And handsome, too. He’s finally going to get a short reprieve, which is something he desperately needs and deserves. After all, he has no plans to throw in his resignation. Not the month after this, anyway.

What a story. None of it is true, unless you choose to believe it, which still doesn’t make it true.

The handsome part, though, is absolutely accurate.

This is Chris, signing off.

PS: I love my new camera.

7 comments:

Lia said...

My deep and abiding sympathies. I'd say that it gets better, but I'm not sure that would be true.

Jean Knee said...

Chris, I've just read over your most recent posts. You're tale reminds me of another working boy, Ignatias J. Reilly. If you ever get the time read and relate to a fellow working boy making his way in the wide world.

A Confederacy Of Dunces
by john kennedy Toole

Jean Knee said...

I meant your tale, forgive the English, I'm American

Chris said...

Lia: It actually did. :) More on that in my next post. Hope your week turns out well, too.

Jean Knee: I forgive the English, all right. But I wouldn't extend that sentiment to a few though...

Mawar said...

you're a workaholic, love. and you're also a perfectionist, a combination which is not neccessarily a bad thing for you. so chill la. =)

Maria Celina said...

I can guarantee you that my week was worse, but I'd rather not elaborate here. It's all in my new blog.

Ooh.. new camera? What type of camera is it?

Chris said...

Mawar: I live by the motto, "Do it right the first time."

So far I've managed to "Do it and get screwed by Mat Sallehs." LOL!

Maria: I'm so sorry to hear that. You know what they say, if you think you're worse, there's always someone more worse than you. It's not a comforting axiom, but, um...I'm not making things better, aren't I? Thousand apologies!

I got myself a Nikon Coolpix S200. As with most Nikons, it'll take excellent shots, provided you have enough lighting and not very fast moving objects. Most importantly, I'm taking my camera everywhere I go (except the toilet, for too obvious reasons!) because you never know when you're going to see a person falling down on their bum!