Sunday 21 November 2010

Forgive and forget. Who came up with this crap?

When someone does you wrong, what do you want? Will an apology suffice? How about a simple yet profound word, sorry? Will that right the wrong?

What happens if the wrongdoer is someone you hold dear to your heart? 

Forgiving someone is a noble act indeed. What about forgetting the incident? Are you capable of purging the offending memory from heart and soul? So many questions, so many different answers. If you're a happy-go-lucky person, you'd just shrug your shoulders and move on. If you are one of those people that don't shrug shoulders but just do an Eeyore, you are holy. Or are you the type that hold grudges, only letting go when divine retribution has been mete out to the person who made you cry?

As I get older (and impossibly handsomer), I no longer am bothered by things that would have sent me into bloodlust. I look at the situation, assess its causality threads and hammer a decisive nail into the coffin of consequence. Sometimes, a surreptitious uttering of fuckinguglydonkey in the general direction of said mammal will put the world back on its axis.

The verdict depends on the crime. Cross me lightly, I'd drop it then and there. No point even reminiscing it. Do me wrongly badly, we have a issue here. If malice was part of the plan then we need to talk it out. Face to face. No hiding behind the keyboard. I think people are becoming less and less responsible and seriously lacking a ball or two. 

A good friend of mine once said to me, "Why are you apologising? We're friends and friends don't say sorry to each other." To which I replied, "Fuck you, just accept my apology, damnit." Just because we're friends doesn't mean thank you, sorry or whatever should be omitted. Things like that should never be a tacit agreement, they should be used when they have to be used. With family we tend to take for granted those words. It's like a thorn in our side if we have to say sorry to them. But we have to. It's the right thing to do. Say it and move forward.

Forgive and forget is over-rated.

This is Chris, signing off.

P.S. Emma Watson in HP7 made me wish I had a wand. Wait, I think I do...

P.P.S Apologies for the change in design again. The last one made my PC dribble like an incontinent cat in heat. Let's just forgive and forget?

2 comments:

Maria Celina said...

I believe it takes a big person -- not (just?) size-wise, but hey, can't dismiss all possibilities -- to forgive, but I think it's unwise to forget. To me, it's just tantamount to running in circles.

Like you, forgiveness depends on the severity of the situation. If it's a small faux pas, I'd let it pass. However, if it's something really hurtful, I do not take it lightly. In fact, sometimes, I can be pretty harsh, if I am badly hurt.

Ultimately, forgiveness should be granted to the self, too. There are times when one's own hurt is due to the letting down of emotional guards. Of course, that's part and parcel to any emotional relationship, platonic or non.

I like this design, by the way. It's easy on the eyes.

Chris said...

Hi Maria!

Forgiving myself is something I need to learn. I've done some things I'm not proud of and can say that I won't forgive myself for that. I certainly won't forget.

Thanks for the compliment, too.