Tuesday 18 July 2006

Drivin' Mr. Chris

Okay… here goes. (Takes a deep breath) I hate driving. I hate Malaysian drivers. I hate the road transport system. I hate traffic jams. I hate people who brake for no reason. I hate people who do not use their indicators. I hate people who think their steering wheel is a toy thus swerving it from right to left, to one lane to another because it’s fun to see me scream and swerving my own car from right to left, to one lane to another. But most of all, I HATE DRIVING!!! (Didn’t I mention that earlier?)

Phew…

All righty then. Looks like I’ve finally got that out of my system. I’ve refrained from making a blog post regarding the ever popular Malaysian folk story that is the Chronicles of Malaysian Driving: The Idiots, Idiots and Idiots. Every Mamat, Muthu, Mee, has given their 1 cent on the subject matter. Mostly it’s all a rehash of someone’s story. I’ve read articles from women who think men are idiots while the men think the women folk should not drive at all. Look, I could not care less if the driver is a Datuk or a woman in labour, bad driving IS bad driving.

Naturally my views at first on women drivers skewed towards as inferior to us males. But now it is not so. Both genders are now equal in overall terribleness.

But now it seems a new trend one has emerged, one that is so insidious in its implications that I fear it will become true in a few years’ time… men driving worse than women. It’s an alarming trend no doubt, one that blows louder than any air horn ever invented. I’ve seen men do things with their steering wheel that has left confounded and disappointed in the male species, even my mother drives than better them (and that is saying a FRIGGIN’ LOT).

I would rate myself as an “OK La” driver. I go fast occasionally (pffft). I cut lanes yes but I know when and where to do it. Some men nowadays just don’t know how to use the steering wheels now. Women drivers on the other hand, are the worst on the road yet the best when caught in a deadlock. I’ve never seen a woman use her steering wheel as a weapon of mass frustration. Old men in particular have an affinity to drift to other lanes of which most of the times happen to be the one I’m in. And what’s with the parking these days? I’m absolutely crap at parking but the angles some drivers leave their car just leave me perplexed.

I’m terrified of driving in the parking bay of shopping malls. Many a time I become disoriented and mightily pissed because some people think it is okie dokey to go 100 km/h. For goodness sake people, Hello! You’re in a bloody parking lot! What’s the rush of driving at breakneck speeds? And is it possible for the parking authorities to put up the NO ENTRY signs before I enter them by mistake?

We are blessed to have a road system that is one of the best in the world. The facilities are top notch and of world standard, we have the technology to keep it running optimally, the means to maintain the integrity and all but we tend to miss the turning because the sign post was blocked by a tree.

Chris is signing off. For now…

PS: I’d KILL to even touch a Bugatti Veyron let alone drive one. Preferably on the Autobahn in Germany. OMFG.

11 comments:

Swift said...

There's still the edit button ;)

Here's my dua sen. If there's a good male driver, there's always a bad male driver and vise versa, vise vise versa. There's always an opposite of everything =) I too hate the drivers here, I don't totally hate driving however. There are a handful of drivers who are nice people, like those that let you into their lanes in a crawl and those that "I'm driving a freaky Hummer H3, get the **** out of my way!" people. About our transportation system, the design is flawed, I liked the way how toll plazas are built. From a 8 lane toll, you shrink to a 2 lane little a** road and you're in a massive crawl =/

PS: the Autobahn is THE road to drive on man!

Chris said...

Swift: It's easier and faster to comment than to edit. :P

Chris said...

Let's do a Brokeback at Bukit Jalil. ;)

Swift said...

You can do that yourself. It doesn't take 2 or more to pleasure oneself =D

elasticwaistbandlady said...

BEST ROAD RAGE STORY EVER!

Houston rates towards the top of the national lists for road rage incidents. So, this guy in a 4x4 truck is on the freeway and is cut off by a guy in a little Honda Civic. Prior to cutting in, the Honda guy was making an ass out of himself honking and swerving. The truck guy had enough and as traffic slowed at the bypass he grabbed a giant soda cup from his vehicle and with impeccable aim threw it at the Honda.........right into the open sunroof, dousing the jerkoff with red soda. Sweet.

With the meteoric rise of Danica Patrick, women all over are proving their driving prowess superiority over men every frickin day! :)

Chris said...

Swift: I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on. You scare me. Hahaha.

EWBL: Nah. :p

Lia said...

I hate driving, too.

Come try midtown Manhattan sometime. Puts a whole new perspective on agressive driving and road annoyances.

Swift said...

Chris, I don't look very threatening =) I'm just replying to what you said =D

Mawar said...

look its not some tree's fault. its the people's fault. if you have first world facilities but stuck with third world mentalities, it aint gonna work.

but me, im a good driver. :D

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Did I already mention how I'm reveling the newly bestowed title of "Lady Elastic"? I didn't even have to be tapped on the shoulder with a sword by the Queen either.

I've been called many things in my life, "Lady", isn't usually one of them. :)

By the way, my brother is the same age as you. He's a red headed demon most of the time though, and thinks blogging is *GASP*, stupid. We DO have different fathers. That must explain everything.

Syar said...

I hate Malaysian drivers. yep

I hate the road transport system. yep

I hate traffic jams. yep

I hate people who brake for no reason. TOTALLY!

I hate people who do not use their indicators. yep

I hate people who think their steering wheel is a toy thus swerving it from right to left, to one lane to another because it’s fun to see me scream and swerving my own car from right to left, to one lane to another. yep

how else can I say this Chris? I ABSOLUTELY CONCUR!

I hate driving so much now. can't believe I ever thought that license of mine would be giving me freedom. damn crazy aunties who look the other way after almost killing some kapcai dude. damn giant pick ups that go 30km/h. damn lorries that try to race with me on the Federal.

its enough to make a person take the bus forever.

NOT. I'd routinely risk my life on the roads everyday rather than take our buses. aiyoh, so sad our country.