Thursday 6 October 2005

I’ll drink a six pack of apathy tonight. While wearing leotards.

Recently the papers highlighted the fashion sense of Malaysians and one particular person who was interviewed put me in a fit of chuckles with her comments:

“I like to watch Jap shows to check out the latest fashions”. She looks like a reject Goth girl o'right.

But here's the clincher: "I don’t like to copy others”.

WTF? That's totally contradictory. Here we have this girl who thinks she's one of a kind when in fact, she's copying what she sees from the idiot box and then aspires to look like those featured in the said shows.

It got me thinking about my own sense of dressing. My sis calls it conservative. I call it not giving a rat's behind. I'll wear what I want to wear. I've been wearing the same three quarter pants for the past 3 years. Granted i'm a bit of a prude when it comes to fashion. But the fact is, the changes in fashion has no grip on my style consciousness (or the lack of one). At one point in my youth, I wanted to look like Fred Durst with the baggy three-quarter pants, the baggy tee, and the wallet chain of mine that really could have been used to lock up a factory in Malacca.

As most of you know(I think only 5 regulars actually read my blog but oh well), i'm from a college that requires students to wear like a working person because of their belief that once you graduate, you will straight away be sucked into some IT department, coding the latest program and drinking 4 litres of coffee everyday. So you would think I would go wild when it comes to my "normal" clothes right? Nope. These days I wear like an Ah Pek; three-quarter pants, some raggy tee, sandals and a cap. These are the things I could live with the rest of my life. With a bottle of gel for those days where the cap needs a break.

Maybe i'll start wearing neon pants, have my collar upturned and have hair that could impale an elephant. Maybe..

But could you imagine me like that?

Chris signing off...

PS: I hate jeans. Slacks all the way!

9 comments:

Swift said...

wahaha... tak nak 2 jeans! go dockers! although a lil' expensive, but @ least they're comfortable which is da 1st criteria u'll look 4 in any clothin, my style of clothin will b of those bball-ers u c in da states... baggie shorts, maybe a bball jersey or t-shirt tht's too big 2 fit and bball shoes ;)

Anonymous said...

i suggest u better start wearing jeans, women like men who look good in jeans....it has something to do wif our round behinds(as long as its not too big)...and the snake we hide at the front..oops did i say snake..maybe something more anatomically correct...excuse me.....

Chris said...

Swift: I imagined you looking like 50cent. I passed out.

Azrie: LOL! That's a nice analogy for our um, *friend*.

Swift said...

swt... 50cent is black dude. and i'm brownish =) bling blings r a "no no" for me... they're too heavy to go around my skinny neck =P

Mawar said...

the way u dress never turned me off. :|

Chris said...

Mawar: I was fashionable then. Now i'm old and i can't even remember what colour underwear i'm wearing. If i'm wearing any...

Mawar said...

nooooooo i didnt need to know that! hilang my innocence already, whatever's left of it! haiyo dont get me imagining man, its bad for both you and i. :p

Syar said...

but you will get sucked into an IT company, breathing in code and inhaling four litres of coffee. seriously, you just described my sister's boyfriend.

maybe this is a guy thing, not caring about dressing. cause I plan my outfits, however shallow that sounds.

upturned collars? I swear I'll have to go over to your college and perform an exorcism if you EVER do that. Nadia will join me.

Chris said...

Syar: Do not fret for I am of the few men who know that a collar has its purpose and it is to stay downwards and not up. Guys who do that just want to appear sophisticated and that they are down with jiggy when it comes to wearing a shirt. They're just pansies.